Colorado Help

bb3134

FNG
I know most posts start with ‘not looking for honey holes’ because they are afraid of getting cussed out, but I have no other options. So yes, I am actually here asking for a honey hole. Before you yell at me, please read why. I’m going on a Colorado OTC DIY with my father this fall for the 2nd rifle season, and it will most likely be our last. We’ve been to many different states and have bagged many different animals, but he is about to turn 76 years old, and I’ll honestly be surprised if he’s able to hunt the entire season. We are in Wisconsin and don’t have the time to scout for weeks, or the money to lease out a high dollar ranch/hire an outfitter. Honestly though, he’s old school and prefers doing it ourselves anyways, even if he knows it’s a lower percentage chance of getting something. I’m just asking for a few tips on where we might be able to go that isn’t too crazy of terrain for him but still at least has some decent possibility of seeing some bulls. He can still walk the woods just fine, but he’s not climbing any huge mountains. If anybody has some land for lease that’s not more than a couple thousand bucks for a season then we could probably swing that, but I’m guess public will be our only option. We do have a hunting cabin and a few hundred acres of land in northern Wisconsin if maybe anybody is interested in doing a hunting swap and wants to let us use your land for elk and you can come hunt/fish ours for whitetail, black bear, turkey, trout etc. Just seeing what’s out there to maybe give my dad a shot at bagging himself one last bull to end his elk hunting career. Thank you and I appreciate any advice you’re willing to share.

I know it’s not what you asked. But what about drawing a 4th season tag? More elk should be lower in easier terrain compared to second season.

If that doesn’t work I know a spot I thought was fairly mild.

Beendare

WKR
Maybe it’s just me but dragging your 76 year old dad on an over the counter. Colorado hunt is a really bad idea if you want to see animals and have an opportunity.

It’s unfortunate but you are going to have to kick down some money for a decent hunt. There just is no free ride in OTC Colorado. Its ugly.

Sure it can be done, but you need to expend a lot of boot, leather and sweat to accomplish it and that’s a lot to ask of a 76-year-old man.

Don’t shoot the messenger, but I think you need to pull out your checkbook and do a guided hunt on a private ranch

If I were you I'd probably pay to go guided or semi guided for a cow. You could do that for not a lot of money. That way youll see animals and youll have a way higher chance at filling your tag. Bringing your 76 year old dad on a 2nd season OTC hunt is gonna be tough.

I’d suggest a new post with the title of Hunt Swap: CO Elk Rifle for Private Wisc. Deer/Bear/Trout/Turkey

I can’t help you with Colorado rifle season, but if I could, I’d take you up on that personally.

OP
B

bb3134

FNG
Being you are from Wisconsin, you should just to be able to fall in line with other Cheeseheads on their way out.
Pick out a truck and follow them. 👍
Haha I'm sure that could work! We definitely have met a ton of fellow Wisconsin folk in the deep wilderness out west.

OP
B

bb3134

FNG
I know it’s not what you asked. But what about drawing a 4th season tag? More elk should be lower in easier terrain compared to second season.

If that doesn’t work I know a spot I thought was fairly mild.
Yea we thought about 4th season, but that is at the same time as whitetail rifle season in Wisconsin, and that's a big deal for our family so we don't want to miss that. I'll hit you up in PM though.

OP
B

bb3134

FNG
Maybe it’s just me but dragging your 76 year old dad on an over the counter. Colorado hunt is a really bad idea if you want to see animals and have an opportunity.

It’s unfortunate but you are going to have to kick down some money for a decent hunt. There just is no free ride in OTC Colorado. Its ugly.

Sure it can be done, but you need to expend a lot of boot, leather and sweat to accomplish it and that’s a lot to ask of a 76-year-old man.

Don’t shoot the messenger, but I think you need to pull out your checkbook and do a guided hunt on a private ranch
I can guarantee I'm not dragging him anywhere. This is what he wants. We have tried guided and he hates it. He would rather go on a DIY hunt with a 5% success rate, than have 100% success with a guide ushering him around. Hunting isn't all about the trophy, it's about the entire experience. This is how he most enjoys his time in the woods so that's what we're doing.

Iowafarmer

Lil-Rokslider
I know most posts start with ‘not looking for honey holes’ because they are afraid of getting cussed out, but I have no other options. So yes, I am actually here asking for a honey hole. Before you yell at me, please read why. I’m going on a Colorado OTC DIY with my father this fall for the 2nd rifle season, and it will most likely be our last. We’ve been to many different states and have bagged many different animals, but he is about to turn 76 years old, and I’ll honestly be surprised if he’s able to hunt the entire season. We are in Wisconsin and don’t have the time to scout for weeks, or the money to lease out a high dollar ranch/hire an outfitter. Honestly though, he’s old school and prefers doing it ourselves anyways, even if he knows it’s a lower percentage chance of getting something. I’m just asking for a few tips on where we might be able to go that isn’t too crazy of terrain for him but still at least has some decent possibility of seeing some bulls. He can still walk the woods just fine, but he’s not climbing any huge mountains. If anybody has some land for lease that’s not more than a couple thousand bucks for a season then we could probably swing that, but I’m guess public will be our only option. We do have a hunting cabin and a few hundred acres of land in northern Wisconsin if maybe anybody is interested in doing a hunting swap and wants to let us use your land for elk and you can come hunt/fish ours for whitetail, black bear, turkey, trout etc. Just seeing what’s out there to maybe give my dad a shot at bagging himself one last bull to end his elk hunting career. Thank you and I appreciate any advice you’re willing to share.
Flat tops are pretty accessible by ATVs decent elk populations

OP
B

bb3134

FNG
I’d suggest a new post with the title of Hunt Swap: CO Elk Rifle for Private Wisc. Deer/Bear/Trout/Turkey

I can’t help you with Colorado rifle season, but if I could, I’d take you up on that personally.
Good idea, I may start a new thread with that as the premise if this one doesn't work out. Thanks!

Have you comsidered any 1st rifle hunts? A lot of them are easy to draw. We have had good success with those.

You might wanna consider going somewhere that has access to some type of ATV or even horses if he's able. Mobility could be a huge issue if the weather turns rough. Last year in 2nd season up high there was lots of snow. Several inches of snow with a crust then another foot + on top. It was brutal post-holing up hills & through blow downs.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Sounds like a camping with rifles trip, I know a few badass 70 year olds but man if you think this is the last trip with your dad, why even get tags? All otc rifle spots that are either steep or deep and neither mix with being 76, highly suggest a unit with a lot of atv access, and good vantage, maybe he could spot for you? or maybe come out during muzzy? It’s better camping weather and you can still fish some. I hope to still have the drive going strong when I’m that old, not many layups for 2nd rifle otc though. Good luck to you and your pops

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
Can't even express how much I wish we would do away with NR OTC

Laned

WKR
Yea we thought about 4th season, but that is at the same time as whitetail rifle season in Wisconsin, and that's a big deal for our family so we don't want to miss that. I'll hit you up in PM though.
If it's his last elk hunt, wouldn't that be a bigger deal than a whitetail rifle season he does every year?

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

Sounds good. I do think you aren’t taking advantage of a better time to hunt considering your dad’s mobility.

I bet your chances are single digit. But I also believe it’s doable. My boss helped a giant dude kill an elk in Colorado. He was like 350-400#’s. He sat in a spot and killed the second or third bull that walked by. It was a good bull too for Colorado. So even though it’s not how I hunt I know it’s possible unlike what some posters are saying.