Colorado GMU 15

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
As a last minute hunt since my Canada trip was cancelled I put together a pack in drop camp for GMU 15. Just curious to hear anyone’s experiences in this unit. It’s Colorado pressure is high I get all that. But I was able to put this together last minute as solo hunter and just wanted to hear some stories or advice from this area if anyone wants to share or pm me. I’m excited to get out and hunt regardless of actually killing something.

gburk

WKR
I’ll be there first rifle with a couple of youth cow tags in hand. Will send you a PM.

First time in the unit so also curious about any advice that’s available. Thanks!

stykbow14

FNG
I'll be there all of September...you going with bow? Been in that unit the last few years with my son. He can't make it this year so I'll be solo! Have a mule deer tag I'll try and fill 1st. It's a thick unit with tons of blowdowns. Tons of people last year but you can get around them if you are creative.

cnelk

WKR
In case any is interested- There are 8 E/S Unit 15 archery deer tags on the leftover list - go on sale Tuesday

OP
Hookhunter75

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I'll be there all of September...you going with bow? Been in that unit the last few years with my son. He can't make it this year so I'll be solo! Have a mule deer tag I'll try and fill 1st. It's a thick unit with tons of blowdowns. Tons of people last year but you can get around them if you are creative.

Yep I’ll be there with the bow. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve hunted Montana a few times but out of a lodge setting.Ive always wanted to do a back country Colorado hunt. I’m hoping getting packed in on horses will give me a jump start on getting away from people. Being from PA I’m no stranger to elbow to elbow public land hunting.

stykbow14

FNG
Yep I’ll be there with the bow. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. I’ve hunted Montana a few times but out of a lodge setting.Ive always wanted to do a back country Colorado hunt. I’m hoping getting packed in on horses will give me a jump start on getting away from people. Being from PA I’m no stranger to elbow to elbow public land hunting.

I'm driving out from Delaware. Who's your packer? I have one lined up to get meat out.

14rubitwa

FNG
I worked a season for the forest service in unit 15 about 10 years ago. Always dreamed about going back to hunt. I found a few nice sheds out there but I wont say where. Good luck

NLHoks

FNG
My brother and I hunted Unit 15 archery Elk a couple of years ago, packed in 3.5 miles and setup a spike camp. It can be a good area if you're willing to work and have an outfitter lined up to pack meat out. Lot of thick timber and blow down. We heard a lot of bulls and had a couple of close encounters. Also saw quite a few hunters near the trails/trail head but didn't run into many once we got a mile off the trails.

OP
Hookhunter75

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
The trip is already a success for me. All the right elements just need to line up for success to happen. I have killed a few bulls with a bow on guided trips. I want a solo elk in the worst way. This will be my 4th try. Trying shit on your own and eventually punching a tag is the best feeling.

gburk

WKR
So for 1st rifle season should I expect to be able to locate with bugles or have they been trained to shut up? Night time only maybe?

I’ll hold off on declaring success until we make it there at least:D

As a last minute hunt since my Canada trip was cancelled I put together a pack in drop camp for GMU 15. Just curious to hear anyone’s experiences in this unit. It’s Colorado pressure is high I get all that. But I was able to put this together last minute as solo hunter and just wanted to hear some stories or advice from this area if anyone wants to share or pm me. I’m excited to get out and hunt regardless of actually killing something.
I hunted the Sarvis Creek Wilderness last year with a group of 4 and hiked in a good ways. We didn't have much luck, it was 2nd week of September and the weather wasn't ideal but we ran into an outfitter on the main trail that had camp set up pretty high ( with horses) and he had two clients with Bulls down three days into their hunt. Did you say you were planning on using a pack out service? I may need to use one this year as I could be going solo.

OP
Hookhunter75

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
I hunted the Sarvis Creek Wilderness last year with a group of 4 and hiked in a good ways. We didn't have much luck, it was 2nd week of September and the weather wasn't ideal but we ran into an outfitter on the main trail that had camp set up pretty high ( with horses) and he had two clients with Bulls down three days into their hunt. Did you say you were planning on using a pack out service? I may need to use one this year as I could be going solo.
I’m doing a drop camp as I am solo as well and through this together last minute. I’m getting taken in and arranged 10 days of hunting. Last 10 days of the season. I’m packing a tent with the intent to spike out if needed

MichaelO

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll be there on a 15/27 muzzleloader tag. No idea what to expect but what the hell I’ll figure it out as I go

Any new thoughts on 15 now that we’re into October? I just covered 20 miles in Sarvis this week. Not surprised by lack of daytime movement given the moon but the overall sign wasnt super encouraging...(no elk sounds in 24 hours out there.)

gburk

WKR
I sent my two cow tags back to the leftover list when I realized we had an AZ youth deer tag for that week (operator error). Good luck y'all!

OP
Hookhunter75

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
Any new thoughts on 15 now that we’re into October? I just covered 20 miles in Sarvis this week. Not surprised by lack of daytime movement given the moon but the overall sign wasnt super encouraging...(no elk sounds in 24 hours out there.)

I spent the last 10 days of archery season in the Sarvis. I heard two bugles in 10 days. Both from the same bull. I saw that bull the only elk I saw. I hunted with camp on my back and covered ground from the perimeter all the way to the interior.

I was never able to get on much fresh sign. All sign a few weeks old. This unit has pockets of moisture all over so finding water is not a thing. All of those pockets are surrounded by dry deadfall. Tough unit to hunt.

I spent the last 10 days of archery season in the Sarvis. I heard two bugles in 10 days. Both from the same bull. I saw that bull the only elk I saw. I hunted with camp on my back and covered ground from the perimeter all the way to the interior.

I was never able to get on much fresh sign. All sign a few weeks old. This unit has pockets of moisture all over so finding water is not a thing. All of those pockets are surrounded by dry deadfall. Tough unit to hunt.

That matches my experiences. Covered probably 50 miles between August and this week scouting - 1/3 down south side of WA and 2/3 up NE side. I started off known trails and then serpentined all over after game trails and sign. All of which was old. Seeps, puddles, and springs all over.

There are elk in there right :) ?!

OP
Hookhunter75

Hookhunter75

Lil-Rokslider
That matches my experiences. Covered probably 50 miles between August and this week scouting - 1/3 down south side of WA and 2/3 up NE side. I started off known trails and then serpentined all over after game trails and sign. All of which was old. Seeps, puddles, and springs all over.

There are elk in there right :) ?!

That unit holds big bulls. It may not be managed for trophy quality but by terrain alone the bulls can get old. There are probably some toads in there.