Colorado Elk.

PaBone

Lil-Rokslider
My nephew who lives in Colorado drew an either sex elk tag. This will be his first time archery hunting and I plan on going with him for a week or so. I've always liked hunting elk in the teens, which would be during the muzzleloader season starting on September 14th. My question is how much added pressure is there from muzzleloaders and would it be better to hunt earlier before muzzle season starts. I know it could be hot and less bugling, but I think sometimes the first week can be great hunting especially if you're not picky about shooting a small bull or cow.

Last edited by a moderator:

Donk

Lil-Rokslider
Been a minute since I spent a September in Colorado.

IMO the muzzleloaders will added pressure but it will be closer to the road, generally speaking.

Walthers

FNG
I have hunted the opener, during muzzleloader and the last week of the season. I lean towards the last part of the season, after muzzleloader. I feel like many of the archery guys are gone and muzzleloader is done. Less pressure and the weather seems to be more favorable.

bz_711

WKR
Archery tag is bull only.

In 10+ archery hunts in CO that usually overlap part of the muzzleloader season, I don't recall ever seeing a muzzy hunter in the woods (they have to wear orange) and I could count on one hand the number of shots I've heard (most all at dark so assumed unloading at truck to go home). Need to be far more concerned about archery pressure than muzzy (and even more concerned about hikers, fishers, photographers, campers, Side-by-sides, jeep clubs, mountain bikers, trail runners, granolas and smokers...no joke...Sept is the best time of the year to visit CO)

Good Luck!

Last edited:
He's not really asking unit specific info, just about muzzy pressure. We hunt in that general area some and ive archery hunted during muzzy week. Not a lot of tags in the units I hunt but I ran into a few of them, more than archery guys, but I think most archery hunters go earlier or later. We used to hunt early and 20 years ago got into elk a lot but they do get more vocal later for sure.

While muzzy does add some pressure to the mountain especially deer hunters, I would still lean on weather/conditions more than pressure concerns. If you think that 3rd week will be the best hunting, hunt the 3rd week

6.5PRC

FNG
I hunted 1st rifle last year. There was barely any pressure compared to 2nd Rifle. I only saw 2 hunters in the 15 mile area we were in. We got one cow but didn’t hear any other gun shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

CJohnson

WKR
I would recommend looking up the statistics for how many ML tags are actually issued for those units and compare that to the archery tags. That should give you a good feel for any added pressure.

My $0.02 is go the whole month of September. Second best option is go when you can.

I was going to make a post asking about archery hunting these units. Is there a rule that you can't ask about certain units for info on a draw tag?

Man, my experience is the opposite of some here. Hunted one of the listed units early and got on multiple mature bugling bulls. Then came back, arriving the last weekend of muzzy, and the trailhead was completely full of vehicles with lots of fellers sitting on coolers with raghorns next to them. Pack waaaay in there and a cowboy comes over a pass with a bull on a horse he shot with his muzzy. Almost zero bugling action, and no elk sighted for us. It is my opinion the hunters displaced the elk to places I could not find them. I will not hunt during or right after muzzy season in CO ever again.

fishslap

WKR
Man, my experience is the opposite of some here. Hunted one of the listed units early and got on multiple mature bugling bulls. Then came back, arriving the last weekend of muzzy, and the trailhead was completely full of vehicles with lots of fellers sitting on coolers with raghorns next to them. Pack waaaay in there and a cowboy comes over a pass with a bull on a horse he shot with his muzzy. Almost zero bugling action, and no elk sighted for us. It is my opinion the hunters displaced the elk to places I could not find them. I will not hunt during or right after muzzy season in CO ever again.

Sounds like a great place to hunt with a muzzleloader. I might check it out.