colorado elk other gear?

These may be a questions that should be in the gear forum and if so i apologize.

question 1:Ill be elk hunting northern colorado sept 9th-sept17th and plan on hunting high, with that said would it be a wise investment to bring tire chains with me during this time? Ill be driving a 2013 ram 1500 4x4. Ive never used tire chains here in wisconsin but have heard that they are very handy in mud should the roads be bad. Is there any in particular that are better than others etc...

Questions 2:Is there decent cell phone coverage in most of colorado(who's the best carrier), or should we plan on renting/buying some kind of spot type system in case of an emergency?

thank you in advance to these questions

njdoxie

WKR
Don't know about the tire chains, the trailhead I goto is gravel :)

Regarding cell phone coverage, I have excellent coverage with Verizon, but you won't know until you try it or talk to someone that's been to the same area.

cgippe

Lil-Rokslider
Tire chains are always a good idea... a huge storm rolled in on me in colorado last year right around that same time.. it was sunny and 50 in the morning then started snowing at 1pm and dropped 28 degrees. Make sure you have a good packable rain gear as well.

Cell service= NONE you may get it in spot but if you are hunting high you wont have any, I would suggest a spot or inreach. I own an inreach and works great.

Any other questions or maybe around your specific area feel free to send me a PM

Bar

Banned
Snow is always possible all year long. I'd bring chains, but I doubt you'll need them. You may be complaining about the heat though.

Cell coverage is hit and miss in the mountains.

I haven't needed chains in the few years that I've been poking around out here.

Cell service is variable. I've had 4G in a lot of areas then you go behind the ridge and have nothing (Verizon). Last year my buddy was browsing Tinder at 11,000'...

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have yet to use chains during the archery season, but I always have them in the trucks. Used to use them every year during the later rifle seasons in heavy snow and mud.

xziang

WKR
If you aren't by a major town don't count on getting cell service. You could also be 5 miles from a major town but if your in a valley you might be SOL. If you NEED to communicate with others look at inReach device I love mine.

Chains I haven't needed them the last 4 years but I also stick to gravel roads and haven't been on really any serious 4X4 trails or gone up and over passes.

If you are anticipating getting that far in on 4X4 trails chains/come a long/saw/shovel might not be a bad idea. For me I just make sure I have a saw incase downed trees end up in the way. Be a PITA with a hand saw but doable. Just my .02

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
1. If you've got chains, can't hurt to bring them.
2. I always hunt with my SPOT. There's no telling about cell service even near my house in rural Colorado.

rayporter

WKR
if you dont already have chains [ and you are driving a 4x4] i would not buy a set. if you got them bring them. any brand will do fine as you will only have them on a short way and then remove them. but to really answer your question, yes some are a lot better than others, i just dont see the need for the very best - my set has been around since 1969 and works just fine and they are just plain chains.

chains, a shovel and tow strap and jumper cables==standard.

get an in reach, it works.

elkduds

WKR
@ least as likely to get monsoon rain as deep snow during your time frame. Last fall the rain came with hail and sleet that same week you named, in the southern half of the state where I hunted.

njdoxie

WKR
It certainly varies, but in the units I've hunted in Southern CO, I've never not had good cell coverage, whether in a canyon or on top of the mountain, I don't even think about an inreach or sat phone. But you won't know until you try. I brought a sat phone years ago and then realized it was wasted money, my cell phone works great, I just pack a couple extra batteries.