Colorado Collegiate range ram

cobrad

FNG
View attachment 606276
My daughter and I with my unit S11 ram. We hiked 11 miles and 4200’ of elevation for this two days ago. 675 yard shot with my New Ultra Light Arms .284 Winchester. I had close to 50 days in scouting and hunting. Saw very few sheep and a good thousand people climbing the surrounding 14000’ peaks since May. Toughest hunt I’ve ever done.IMG_5103.jpeg

Way to go. Those high elevation sheep don't grow as big as the lowland valley sheep. Shorter growing season and less nutrition. But the Mountains are magnificent to hunt!

wooduckman

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations! Awesome to have your daughter there. I just got back from my sheep hunt yesterday and can say with confidence, it’s the hardest thing I’ve ever done as well!

Well deserved! May be the first time I have seen "11 miles and 4200 feet of elevation" totally believed this to be true. cheers to you!

Way to go. Those high elevation sheep don't grow as big as the lowland valley sheep. Shorter growing season and less nutrition. But the Mountains are magnificent to hunt!
Interesting. Is this a personal observation or have a source to point to? This has never occurred to me but it makes sense. I assume you mean lowland vs highland of the same species. After all, Marco Polo live at some pretty high elevation.

Interesting. Is this a personal observation or have a source to point to? This has never occurred to me but it makes sense. I assume you mean lowland vs highland of the same species. After all, Marco Polo live at some pretty high elevation.
When I attended the Sheep/Goat orientation in Colorado when I had a tag the biologist discussed that information as pertaining to the ram size in the state.

Hunter26

Lil-Rokslider
That is awesome. The crappy thing is once it is in your blood it is all you want to do. At least that was me for several years.

OP
C

cobrad

FNG
That is awesome. The crappy thing is once it is in your blood it is all you want to do. At least that was me for several years.
I grew up reading Jack O’Connor stories about sheep hunting. It’s a hunt I’ve wanted to do since I was a young boy. At 64 it was a very tough hunt. I was hiking 15-20 miles and 4-6000’ of elevation gain every week for about 5 months. If I were a monied man I would have started hunting sheep decades ago. As it is this is the 2nd sheep hunt I’ve been on and most likely the last. Elk hunting is going to be a relative walk in the park after this.

Seth

WKR
True congrats. I hunted them in the unit south of you a couple of years ago….. very humbling country.