Colorado Archery Elk 2016

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, myself and a couple buddies are headed to until 521 or 53/63 the last week of archery elk season. After speaking with the CPW and Forest Service we have a game plan but certainly open to any additional information that can be provided. Specifically, how much hunting pressure to expect the last week of season and what road conditions in those areas may be like at that time. Our plan is to truck camp but will be taking gear to bivy if needed. Is it reasonable to think we can hike 2-4 miles each morning and get into some elk in these areas?

Bar

Banned
Weather is always unpredictable, but the odds are in your favor that time of year.

Have fun.

Pow

FNG
The last week of archery there is normally less pressure because black powder is over. The downside is the elk are pretty cautious by the end of the season. The are familiar with the hoochie mama by then.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys. This will be only my second trip to Colorado. I hunted mule deer in unit 15 last year. I have a local contact that is providing some help as well.

JoshTX

WKR
You might want to think about just packing in and save the car camping for another time. 2-4 miles in each morning just to get into elk country would get old fast. If you pack in, you will have a lot more options.

How far away from your hunting grounds would you camp at if you were to hike in. Obviously you don't want to be loud and have a huge bonfire that could be seen from the moon, but how far is reasonable to stay away from your planned hunting spots?

I believe if you cold camp you can be within a couple 100 yards of your hunting grounds, but that time of year I like to be able to build a fire so I would be at least a half a mile away from where I hunt...IMO

Another thing to consider in unit 521 is hiker traffic, if youre hunting from certain areas in that unit it gets pretty abused by nonhunter activities. Just something to keep in mind. I'd much rather stay in the mountains than make that trek every morning.

Bar

Banned
I prefer the trek to be home every night. I know this isn't possible for a NR. Nothing like a shower, bed, and real meals not from a pouch.

Ok, so I have removed the message. It is the 3rd most hunted area in Colorado so no real big surprise there. If the OP would like to know more just PM me...assuming this deletes the entire chain of messages. This area is pretty rugged so it scares a lot of people.

Last edited:

Bar

Banned
Look at the area where 521 meets the eastern most point of 421... hint hint. I have seen some crazy stuff in there and there aren't really any trails so no hikers.

Save stuff like that for a PM. You just told the whole country.

jmez

WKR
You might want to think about just packing in and save the car camping for another time. 2-4 miles in each morning just to get into elk country would get old fast. If you pack in, you will have a lot more options.

This! Been there, done that, won't do it again. If you plan to walk in 2-4 miles you are looking at getting up about 4am and getting back into camp between 10-11pm, depending on terrain. We did that our first year and it just isn't a smart way to hunt IMO. A few nights I was so tired I didn't even eat, just straight into the tent and fall asleep.

OP
H

holmesac89

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the suggestions guys! We will definitely take into consideration just bivy hunting rather than hiking back to the truck each night especially if we find elk early.

Felix40

WKR
Agree about hiking in too. Even if you hike to an area you want to check out and stay 1-2 nights then come back to the truck then go to a different spot. I had a bull bugling to me 300 yards from camp last year with a fire going. As long as you aren't tromping all through their bedding areas you can camp dang close and get more hunting with less hiking.