Colorado 11/211 mule deer winter kill

PapD

FNG
Hey guys, I drew a 11/211 tag for 2nd rifle. It looks like I have until June 5 to turn it back in and get points/money returned. I am curious if anyone has any info on the winter kill out there and if it’s worth getting my points/money back and saving for a better year. I hate to pass up an opportunity to hunt, but it looks like the elk had a really bad time and wondered how the mule deer numbers are, as there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info pertaining specifically to them. Im was thinking of calling the Meeker office as well, but figured they are swamped and was looking for some local info. Thanks in advance.

Tullis94

WKR
I have no info on the winter kill. I did however hunt that unit every day of 3rd season last year. I killed a decent buck, but he was by far the best we seen on public land. We seen a decent amount of deer but mostly very young bucks. I personally will not go back to that unit. Between the elk hunters, doe hunters, and buck hunters it was an absolute mad house! One more thing to mention is that if there is precipitation be prepared for mud. It is some pretty nasty sticky stuff. If you want to hunt then go and have fun. We had a blast, but if you really want to harvest a nice buck I would probably try and keep the points.

Winter kill was horrible. Even without a bad winter the bucks have been slaughtered for years under the name of fighting CWD. I hunted that unit a few years ago and I'll never go back there.

a3dhunter

WKR
Hunted 2nd rifle there last year.
Saw 3 bucks already killed that were mid 150's.
Overall didn't see the deer I expected and will be hunting elsewhere.
That was before winter kill. I've hunted 4th choice tags that were better hunts. I feel like there are 2 extremes here, too much access or very limited access(wilderness study areas). Not much in between.
As mentioned before, the roads can be a total mess once moisture hits.