Collar with a "On Point" indicator

mtnkid85

WKR
Hey guys,

Im looking for a new collar for my GSP. We live in town and I use her collar on her every day for our daily walks though the neighborhood utilizing the tone and vibe to communicate/control her, so having those easily accessible on the handheld is important, in addition to hunting duties.
Weve run sport dog collars in the past and have been fairly happy with them, but Im looking for something that will tell me when she's on point. She's a big runner, which Ive grown to appreciate especially on Chukar and Sharpies but this season I know I screwed her up a couple of times when I couldn't see her pointing and called her off birds.

Is there something better than a beeper collar? I feel like I want something that beeps me, not the dog!?

I run a Garmin watch and some of there other devices and so Im interested in what they have to offer. Will something like the Alpha 10 give me a point indication on the handheld?

kickemall

WKR
Garmin Alpha 100 or 200i and a tt15 collar will do that. The big advantage of the 200i is having the inreach feature so your only carrying one device. Thats if you care about having an inreach. Theres an Alpha 100 in the classified at a good price now.

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Garmin TT15mini, 550 Plus handheld and an Instinct watch is what I use. Both the handheld and the watch have on point indicators. You don't have to have the watch, but I like it.

I've looked at the Alphas, but there is too much stuff on there for my feeble mind. The 550 Plus will run 3 collars with a switch to change between collars.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
The Garmin Alpha will tell you when the dog is on point (or more accurately, when it detects that the dog isn't moving for a period of time) and you can get a bearing and distance from the unit or watch that goes with it (i got the cheapest garmin watch that has that functionality and it is good enough) but there is a little lag between the "point" and the signal acknowledging it at the unit or watch. My dog works fairly close and I am hunting the east so your experience may vary, but between a bell and keeping an eye and ear on where he is as best I can i usually have an idea of where he is and when he is on point before that lag time is up and the unit/watch buzz, but not always.

OP
mtnkid85

mtnkid85

WKR
Thanks for the input guys, Its looking like the 550s are really what Im wanting for the training, more so than the alphas. With the Pro 550 Plus also offering some rudimentary tracking abilities, and the capability of communicating to my Fenix watch too.

guf54

FNG
I don't have experience with any of these listed but I am going this route with my dog as well. After comparing the Alpha's with the 550 plus I went with the 550 plus because of the training button pro's which I feel I will use a lot more than the maps on the Alpha's. Also I read that the 550 should be able to bluetooth to you phone with the Garmin app and have mapping available through that.

Rogue1980

FNG
Another vote for the 550 ProPlus paired with the TT15 collar. I’ve used it for two chukar seasons and have no complaints. I just run one dog. I use it for training and off-season conditioning as well

550 ProPlus with the TT15. Easy to use, can operate without having to look at it to make adjustments. I bought a Fenix 5 second hand; damn near perfect system that all works very well together.