Cold Weather Gear

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at some cold weather gear (32 and below) for a late season mule deer hunt. Gonna be stationary for a while so I need something warm warm. Looking at Sitka Blizzard line and Kuiu Super Burner Parka and gale force pants.

Bump79

WKR
Are you base camping or backpacking? Personally, I'd just do a packable down pant and jacket vs those lineups that aren't as packable. Top off with rain gear if needed to really cut the wind. More versatile IMHO.

I'd do an light base layer, fleece, active insulation layer, down coat and rain jacket as needed. I'm not a huge fan of specific pieces as I can't utilize them as much and end up spending more.

If you can buy it, I probably have it.
Let me save you some money. Research the US Army’s extended cold weather clothing system and then either purchase on eBay or at an Army Navy store.
I’ve lived, hunted, worked, and trained in the Arctic and this stuff just plain works. Yes, there are more expensive options, (look into companies like Feathered Friends, Apocalypse Designs, etc but I don’t think they’re reallly necessary for your temps.)

OP
EricBender208

EricBender208

Lil-Rokslider
Are you base camping or backpacking? Personally, I'd just do a packable down pant and jacket vs those lineups that aren't as packable. Top off with rain gear if needed to really cut the wind. More versatile IMHO.

I'd do a light base layer, fleece, active insulation layer, down coat and rain jacket as needed. I'm not a huge fan of specific pieces as I can't utilize them as much and end up spending more.
Im not worried about packable. Usually ride in on horses so I’ll be extremely stationary for the brunt of the ride. Also if its overnight we’ll have a sheep herders tent so storage isn’t a problem.

Bump79

WKR
Im not worried about packable. Usually ride in on horses so I’ll be extremely stationary for the brunt of the ride. Also if its overnight we’ll have a sheep herders tent so storage isn’t a problem.
That makes a lot of sense then for your setup. Durability/warmth would be more of a focus than weight/packability.

For pants I'd still like something that zips off easy to allow for layering. Here's a few more affordable jacket options.

medvedyt

Lil-Rokslider
I’m looking at some cold weather gear (32 and below) for a late season mule deer hunt. Gonna be stationary for a while so I need something warm warm. Looking at Sitka Blizzard line and Kuiu Super Burner Parka and gale force pants.
hello when you says below 32 up to which temperature will you hunt. as here we are hunting bison up to -40f which is the meeting point for celcius as well and it way colder than most can endure and the clothing will be of course different.

SloppyJ

WKR
I do some pretty cold whitetail sits. I've gotten smarter as I've aged a bit and normally setup my blind and a hester.

However for years I didn't do that and I sat 20' up in a tree. I've found nothing better than the Sitka fanatic set. I tried some FL stuff and the lack of a wind layer really killed it. I'll hike in wearing nothing more than base layer and then put the fanatic set on before get in my stand. The key is to regulate your temp on the way in and don't sweat.

If you're in the 40s and 50s, the Stratus set is amazing. It's what I probably use 75% of the year. Can't recommend that one enough too. Get the bibs though to be able to vent.

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
Do not over dress if your are riding horses any significant distance. You will over heat. It is amazing how much work your body does while on horseback. A good base and wind layer and maybe a mid layer possibly over the wind layer so you can remove it easily... either way you may start out chilly but you'll be warm in a mile or so. Pack the puffy for after you dismount and cool down.