Cold sleeper setup- help!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Klymit has the R-value at a 5. REI says 4.4.

The actual TESTED values on all the Klymit pads are nowhere close to the advertised values. I have the 30" wide Klymit and love that pad in warm weather, but froze my butt off on a Montana hunt on it. Go through that table and look at Klymits R values against everyone else's. Thermarest pads had a lot that actually tested better than they claimed. Klymit pads all dropped to less than half the claimed values.

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys, I need your help.

I hate to admit it but I'm becoming a softie.
I freeze when I sleep now.
Here is what I ran last year for early September elk sleep system

Klymit static V luxe insulated sleeping pad (don't buy this if you get cold)
Kelty cosmic 20 degree down bag
Carhart beanie
200 wt merino top and bottoms.

I froze my tail off.

This year I upgraded my sleeping pad, I have two options now, a big Agnes insulated q core, and a xtherm. Is it worth risking freezing again, or should I upgrade my sleeping bag too? Do I need to step into a 0 degree bag? Is it worth the cost and the weight and bulk?

I like the bag, but not sure if it was the problem last year or not...

Help me out guys!
Thanks
Suggestion: Buy a sleeping bag liner (cheap+compact, and will add ten degrees or so), wear your puffy when you sleep, and buy that Big Agness Q core mattress. I love my Big Agness and it makes a big difference. And sometimes I go to bed with my puffy btw my legs and then pull it on if I am getting cold. I also wear a fleece layer over my long johns when I turn in, and that helps some too. Good luck.

dtrkyman

WKR
Eat spicy protein an hour before bed, preferably red meat!

I am a cold sleeper also and it seems no matter my set up after too many hours in the rack I get cold!

OP
E
For those of you running a liner.... do you ever get tangled up?

I'm a horrible tosser turner so I'm wondering if that will be a problem.

I have a couple hundred bucks in scheeld shift cards. I see they have a stone glacier 0 degree chilkoot. Anybody ever use one?

For pads look at the R values and for bags look at their EN ratings. Lots of bag vendors advertise the Lower Limit and not the Comfort.

Your current pad has a R value of 1.3 which is way low; great if the air temperatures never drop below the mid-50s. Forget the Big Agnes (4.3) and go with something with a much higher R value such as the XTherm (6.9).

You current bag has a Comfort rating of 32* and a Lower Limit of 21*. Look at grabbing a bag better suited to the cold and keep your current bag for "warmer" temperatures. Look at quality vendors such as Western Mountaineering (lots of threads on this); this includes Stone Glacier (Rokslide review on it somewhere).

In emergencies you can wear your insulation pieces to bed if it gets colder than anticipated. But you're hosed if you use an inadequate bag AND use your insulation pieces in the hopes of keeping you warm IF the temperatures drop more than expected.

OP
E
For pads look at the R values and for bags look at their EN ratings. Lots of bag vendors advertise the Lower Limit and not the Comfort.

Your current pad has a R value of 1.3 which is way low; great if the air temperatures never drop below the mid-50s. Forget the Big Agnes (4.3) and go with something with a much higher R value such as the XTherm (6.9).

You current bag has a Comfort rating of 32* and a Lower Limit of 21*. Look at grabbing a bag better suited to the cold and keep your current bag for "warmer" temperatures. Look at quality vendors such as Western Mountaineering (lots of threads on this); this includes Stone Glacier (Rokslide review on it somewhere).

In emergencies you can wear your insulation pieces to bed if it gets colder than anticipated. But you're hosed if you use an inadequate bag AND use your insulation pieces in the hopes of keeping you warm IF the temperatures drop more than expected.
I have a neoair xtherm max, and the only bags I can pick up on my way to Idaho (no way they would ship to me in time now) are the SG chilkoot, and a nemo disco 15 from scheels at a couple of stops along the way. I can't find an EN or ISO rating for either bag, and the price of the stone glacier hurts my feelings lol.

I think you are right about the kelty though. Keep it for 50s and above and try a different bag. I wish I could get a WM in time. But I just can't now.

I have a neoair xtherm max, and the only bags I can pick up on my way to Idaho (no way they would ship to me in time now) are the SG chilkoot, and a nemo disco 15 from scheels at a couple of stops along the way. I can't find an EN or ISO rating for either bag, and the price of the stone glacier hurts my feelings lol.

I think you are right about the kelty though. Keep it for 50s and above and try a different bag. I wish I could get a WM in time. But I just can't now.
Rokslide review

SG EN Rating
Temp-Rating-Chart.jpg

Temp-Rating-Chart_50200086-ecb0-40c5-b383-37e208efe09e.jpg

I get the sticker shock aspect of it. However, what's the cost over many years of use AND also staying warm? Folks can drop thousands of bucks on a rifle that gets used one time on a hunt but become massively frugal on an item that gets used 1/3+ of an entire hunt (assuming 8 hours a day). Folks just have different priorities.

Do check the older threads about bags for additional options.

OP
E
Rokslide review

SG EN Rating
Temp-Rating-Chart.jpg

Temp-Rating-Chart_50200086-ecb0-40c5-b383-37e208efe09e.jpg

I get the sticker shock aspect of it. However, what's the cost over many years of use AND also staying warm? Folks can drop thousands of bucks on a rifle that gets used one time on a hunt but become massively frugal on an item that gets used 1/3+ of an entire hunt (assuming 8 hours a day). Folks just have different priorities.
I have no experience with stone glacier. Think it's worth the coin for this? Will the 0 degree bag pack up decently small ? And I suppose if it happens to be too warm.... I can always unzip and run it as a quilt right?!

I'm certainly not opposed to paying more for quality. Just blown away that I'm considering a sleeping bag worth that much. However. I'm going back to wyoming in October and doing south dakota in the end of October and November so I probably will use it 30 nights this year. That alone makes me feel like it's worth it.

Matt G.

WKR
i like the SG chilkoot 15. very roomy for a mummy bag. i had that static v and a different bag last year and froze my ass off too. moved to the exped pads and the chilkoot. good luck.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Team4LongGun

SUPER MODERATOR
Staff member
I experienced the same cold misery with that same static pad. Xtherm is the way to go.

All the ideas of wearing base layers and puffies should not be a requirement for comfort. The GROUND is sucking your heat from you with that pad.
I would also upgrade the bag but only after the pad.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have no experience with stone glacier. Think it's worth the coin for this? Will the 0 degree bag pack up decently small ? And I suppose if it happens to be too warm.... I can always unzip and run it as a quilt right?!

I'm certainly not opposed to paying more for quality. Just blown away that I'm considering a sleeping bag worth that much. However. I'm going back to wyoming in October and doing south dakota in the end of October and November so I probably will use it 30 nights this year. That alone makes me feel like it's worth it.
If in your situation, I would go with the Thermarest Xtherm and the Stone Glacier 15* bag. I sleep warm though so you may opt for the 0* bag to be safe.

A lot of others have already stated this and it's true. The pad makes a huge difference with how warm or cold you will be.

Don't bother with the liners. They are a pain and if you toss and turn, you'll hate it.

OP
E
If in your situation, I would go with the Thermarest Xtherm and the Stone Glacier 15* bag. I sleep warm though so you may opt for the 0* bag to be safe.

A lot of others have already stated this and it's true. The pad makes a huge difference with how warm or cold you will be.

Don't bother with the liners. They are a pain and if you toss and turn, you'll hate it.
Looks like scheels doesn't carry the 15, but I have a 0 degree waiting for me in Fargo for on the drive. I'm hopeful it's worth the money

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
Another tidbit on EN ratings for sleeping bags. The test is done using a mat with a certified r-value of 4.8. So if you are using a mat with a r-value lower than that you are already losing. Use your X-therm, get a new bag with an EN rating, and if you still need to supplement a closed cell foam pad under your mat will added even more r-value in a cheap way

One big thing I do for cold weather is add a 1/2-3/4 length foam pad under my inflatable pad. Zero chill from the ground in single digits. Klymite insulated static v luxe sl and thermarest z fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E
One big thing I do for cold weather is add a 1/2-3/4 length foam pad under my inflatable pad. Zero chill from the ground in single digits. Klymite insulated static v luxe sl and thermarest z fold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a solid idea. I ended up not needing my stone glacier sleeping bag this past elk season since I killed my elk the day before the weather got cold. A 0 degree chilkoot bag is slightly 😳 too warm for what I needed this year but now I have a big bad sleeping bag for winter camping and late fall hunting trips

Archerichards

Lil-Rokslider
Just underscoring points above about increased pad thickness underneath your sleeping bag. Also, consider a sleeping bag liner.

Just underscoring points above about increased pad thickness underneath your sleeping bag. Also, consider a sleeping bag liner.

This, and cut a Tyvek sheet to put under your pad whether you’re on the ground or the floor of a tent. The Tyvek sheet is super lightweight, but does a great job of keeping moisture from penetrating and evaporating up into your sleep system.

I bought a huge roll of Tyvek at Home Depot several years ago. It’s 36” wide x 300ft long and I usually cut it to 7‘ or 8’ long. Make sure you’re also airing your bag and pad out during the day - even if it’s just for an hour. I figured out ~4 years ago that I’m actually a warm sleeper and even just a slight perspiration would make me cold. This was the case whether it was a sleeping bag that was too warm, a pair of insulated boots, or a heavy down jacket - I’d start to sweat even a slight bit and it was the reason I was so cold. I’ve switched to uninsulated boots, a 30* bag, and lighter clothing and it’s made a huge difference for me at least.

OP
E
This, and cut a Tyvek sheet to put under your pad whether you’re on the ground or the floor of a tent. The Tyvek sheet is super lightweight, but does a great job of keeping moisture from penetrating and evaporating up into your sleep system.

I bought a huge roll of Tyvek at Home Depot several years ago. It’s 36” wide x 300ft long and I usually cut it to 7‘ or 8’ long. Make sure you’re also airing your bag and pad out during the day - even if it’s just for an hour. I figured out ~4 years ago that I’m actually a warm sleeper and even just a slight perspiration would make me cold. This was the case whether it was a sleeping bag that was too warm, a pair of insulated boots, or a heavy down jacket - I’d start to sweat even a slight bit and it was the reason I was so cold. I’ve switched to uninsulated boots, a 30* bag, and lighter clothing and it’s made a huge difference for me at least.
And my tyvek became my ground cloth for processing elk!