Cold feet

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
The warmest boots I ever had were LaCrosse Burly 1200's and one or two pairs of wool socks. Feet never got cold even during long tree stand sits in sub-freezing temps
Those were next on my list but I figured I’d need to do a little research before I end up with $600+ worth of boots and a case of frost bite.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Curious, hot hands?
I’ve tried a few times. I hate having them in my boots. I’ve got the peel and stick hot feet and I feel like they never got hot. Same as the hot hands. I’d open the package shake them up and throw them In. With no warming affect what so ever. Just feels like I got a damn hacky sack under my damn foot…

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I have to be doing something wrong. I rarely get to hunt in 30 degree weather. Mainly hunting 40-50 degrees and my feet are always cold. I have a collection of wool socks… I always use them. Cause my feet always freeze. I think I may mess around and hunt in some leather work boots. The worse that could happen? My feet freeze? Lol

In my experience, the #1 factor in cold feet in a stand....is the stand. If you rest your feet on a bare metal stand, you are going to lose the battle no matter what boot or socks or warmers you wear. Use a foam cushion like a nemo switchback or a thermarest z seat under your feet. Something as a barrier between your feet and the metal stand.

Some other random thoughts...

Alphaburly 1200+ with room.
Wear a liner sock and a heavy wool sock, that leaves room.
Space = circulation
Use a merino insole like the superfeet merino grey or sidas 3feet merino.
Keep your core and legs super warm. If youre cold up top or your legs, your feet are going to pay the price.
Hand warmers need oxygen to get hot. Stuffing them in a waterproof boot, with a few pairs of socks, they arent going to get oxygen, so you are just stuffing beanbags in your boots that take up room.
Use the hot hands/feet on the outside of your boot by your toes - either the sticky version or with tape. I think I saw this on a Clay Hayes video on youtube a while back, and it actually works. The handwarmers get oxygen and produce heat and warm up the toes of your boots. And they arent inside your boot taking up valuable room.

Last edited:
Sometimes just blood flow

Make sure you are doing some sort of movement. Stand up. Sit down. Stretch legs / feet. Keep toes move

Every person has diff makeup and blood flow could be better or worse from person to person

Some run hot, some run cold.

They often say more socks doesn’t does the trick over top of other socks. And I’ve heard if your boots are too tight with socks (or two pairs socks) then that’s bad too.

Looks like you’ve tried everything.

What about one of those emergency blankets cut down to wrap your feet? Even maybe a cheap blanket or sleeping bag for feet ?

Military has cold weather booties. I bet you can pick up some second hand ones for cheap. I think they are down.

Good luck. Cold feet aren’t cool

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pirogue

WKR
Sounds like most replys are addressing the symptom and not the problem. There is a roll on antiperspirant, called Certain Dri, that for me, really makes a difference on your feet sweating to start with.

Spike elk

WKR
I’ve tried a few times. I hate having them in my boots. I’ve got the peel and stick hot feet and I feel like they never got hot. Same as the hot hands. I’d open the package shake them up and throw them In. With no warming affect what so ever. Just feels like I got a damn hacky sack under my damn foot…
Try putting the toe warmers on top of your toes instead of under them. Works well for me ice fishing. If that is uncomfortable then likely your boots are too tight.

RadDad

Lil-Rokslider
What do you mean by circulatory issue? I do tend to sit as still as possible. I tend to wiggle my toes and move my feet (for friction) when they start getting cold. I’m usually sitting around 5 hours at a time.
One of the biggest issues people have when steelhead fishing with waders in the frigid winter months is cold feet. People always ask how to keep their feet warmer while fishing. I’d say 90% of the time comfort could be improved by loosening laces to improve circulation. Could be this is happening to you so maybe loosen the laces when you get to the stand?

Hope that helps!

-RadDad

Poser

WKR
What do you mean by circulatory issue? I do tend to sit as still as possible. I tend to wiggle my toes and move my feet (for friction) when they start getting cold. I’m usually sitting around 5 hours at a time.

Circulatory issues are often blood vessels not fully dilated. In short, not getting sufficient blood flow to your feet maintain warmth. Could be a host of issues that may be reflected by your blood pressure. Again, addressing your nitric oxide levels through diet and possibly supplements could change this a good bit. Reality is, it’s probably not one single solution: better circulation, looser boots, not having sweaty feet, proper socks etc

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
In my experience, the #1 factor in cold feet in a stand....is the stand. If you rest your feet on a bare metal stand, you are going to lose the battle no matter what boot or socks or warmers you wear. Use a foam cushion like a nemo switchback or a thermarest z seat under your feet. Something as a barrier between your feet and the metal stand.

Some other random thoughts...

Alphaburly 1200+ with room.
Wear a liner sock and a heavy wool sock, that leaves room.
Space = circulation
Use a merino insole like the superfeet merino grey or sidas 3feet merino.
Keep your core and legs super warm. If youre cold up top or your legs, your feet are going to pay the price.
Hand warmers need oxygen to get hot. Stuffing them in a waterproof boot, with a few pairs of socks, they arent going to get oxygen, so you are just stuffing beanbags in your boots that take up room.
Use the hot hands/feet on the outside of your boot by your toes - either the sticky version or with tape. I think I saw this on a Clay Hayes video on youtube a while back, and it actually works. The handwarmers get oxygen and produce heat and warm up the toes of your boots. And they arent inside your boot taking up valuable room.
I think the lack of oxygen is why the “hot hands/hot feet” haven’t worked. I’m hunting 24% ground blind, 24% shooting house (no buddy heater), 24% lock-in/ ladder stand, 24% climber. And 8% stalk.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in the south so don’t have the issues some have but on the days it gets in the 20s I use a liner sock and the kuiu merino socks over them and I’m fine. Did the same thing in Illinois in the teens wearing my rubber snake boots I wasn’t gonna spend the money on boots I would use that one trip. I think the key is to have a boot that’s not tight mine are a half to full size to big. Now my feet will not be all toasty like the rest of my body but they are good enough to stay out. Not sure if it makes a difference but I’m in a saddle I do sit 90% of the time but sometimes I do lean so maybe that’s the difference cause I’m my climber my feet would freeze as well… good luck

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt in the south so don’t have the issues some have but on the days it gets in the 20s I use a liner sock and the kuiu merino socks over them and I’m fine. Did the same thing in Illinois in the teens wearing my rubber snake boots I wasn’t gonna spend the money on boots I would use that one trip. I think the key is to have a boot that’s not tight mine are a half to full size to big. Now my feet will not be all toasty like the rest of my body but they are good enough to stay out. Not sure if it makes a difference but I’m in a saddle I do sit 90% of the time but sometimes I do lean so maybe that’s the difference cause I’m my climber my feet would freeze as well… good luck

Where in the south? Central Alabama here.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Froze from my eye balls to my toes today. Wind was blowing so hard my eyes stayed watered up all afternoon. Shot this hoe. 295 yards with a 6.5 Grendel in 15-20 mph wind. Could have shot a few doe as well. Pigs grow up so fast!

Attachments

• 49BF94E8-23D3-4AA6-87DC-7B95D4E2ACFB.jpeg
    49BF94E8-23D3-4AA6-87DC-7B95D4E2ACFB.jpeg
    453.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 039FA8F2-FB68-4DA2-8DD1-F186EC7B367F.jpeg
    039FA8F2-FB68-4DA2-8DD1-F186EC7B367F.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 16
  • D26ECB46-27F0-4F6B-9955-6657958C9695.jpeg
    D26ECB46-27F0-4F6B-9955-6657958C9695.jpeg
    241 KB · Views: 16
I used to have this problem for years wearing rubber boots. I'd have 3 pair of socks and still freeze. Get a normal pair of hunting/hiking boots and artic shield makes a pair of booties u can out hot hands in make sure up put them over your boots as soon as you get tovthe stand you'll be much happier

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

What works for me is a pair of Darn Tough merino socks, uninsulated LaCross Alpha Burly, Hot Hands 18 hour body warmers, and Articsheild boot blankets. What I do is open the body warmers before my 45 minute walk in to my stand and put them in my hand muff. As soon as I’m up the tree, I tape the body warmers to the top of my boot toes with electrical tape and put the blankets over them. It works but it is difficult to get all on in the tree. Thinking about trying some electric socks.

Sounds like a combination of problems. The Muck boots don’t breathe so moisture builds up and your socks get damp. So your feet feel cold.

I started using Wiggy’s socks in my Alpha Burly’s. They are built like a sleeping bag to insulate but wick moisture away from your feet. Below freezing I’m good for several hours before my feet start to get cold.

naternate

FNG
Just leave the boot shaft folded down on your walk in if you can. Roll em up if you have to go through water. Leaving them down allows heat and moisture to escape which will help with warmth when you stop. Roll em back up when your feet cool down from the walk. The built up moisture is what made them cold when I used those types of boots