CO Units 80/81

I drew a 1st season rifle tag here. Will be my first western hunt with a rifle (have previously done 6 years otc archery unit 15). I'll be going this hunt solo. Would love to get some tips on the unit for that season if anyone is willing to share. I would be happy to share what I see in return. I wouldn't be opposed to joining someone or a small group for that season.

I'll be there a couple days early to scout what I can. My style of hunting is usually 2-3 day spike camps well off access routes.

Thank you

Cwagsta

FNG
I’ve hunted the archery season in 80/81 for several years with good experiences. The elk get pushed around a ton in September. I’d assume they calm back down a bit before 1st rifle, but I imagine they will still be clinging to sanctuary zones.
I’ve found the best concentrations in areas that are either hell to get too, or have easy escape into private/ non hunting ground.
The beetle kill is bad in a lot of areas and makes for traversing a challenge in blow downs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gerbdog

WKR
I know these units moved to points a couple years back, but, i still wouldnt post unit numbers, a quick google search is going to bring this thread up again and again.

Just like every unit west of 25 in CO, there are elk in the units you mentioned, and as elk tend to do when the hunting pressure starts they like to get into hard to reach areas and will hunker down in the dead fall.