Co third rifle

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
I'm headed to Colorado for third rifle this year. Looking for reccomendations on some of the layers. I've got a bunch of stuff already from whitetail hunting and base layers I've bought for work. My friend told me where we would be hunting is around 9500 feet. Hunting from the truck each morning.

Already have Merino base layers, puffy top and puffy pants, born primative frontier pants, sitka ambient jacket, and I have a kings rain gear set I can use if needed. Do I need to plan to bring/ buy another layer like a shell jacket or another mid layer? All my other whitetail hunting jackets are awfully heavy or real lightweight. I figured I'd probably be hiking in merino base layers, pants, and ambient jacket, I get sweaty easy and figured this might be just enough to stay warm but not get overly sweaty. If reccomended I can find or buy another layer for hiking. I'd rather buy a good jacket to throw in the mix if needed then end up being cold.
I'm gonna be making a point to try and hunt out west each year going forward so I don't mind to buy a quality piece if it will last me multiple years.

I don’t overthink it, I start my walking cold, add layers to warm up when I stop. To be more specific, I start with a synthetic base layer, with a fleece hoody on top. This has worked down to 30 degrees. After that I might throw on a puffy vest as well. On the bottom, I just have pants and merino socks. If the snow is deeper than my ankle, I will add gaiters.

When I stop, I throw on a puffy jacket and pants, usually a heavier set of gloves if needed.

I've had 30 no snow to 18 " of snow and below zero. Last couple of years it hasn't been as cold. What Justin said is sound advice.

I start out with a medium weight merino long sleeve, merino light weight hoody, if cold then a puffy down jacket with a windproof outer jacket. If it gets hot hiking off with the puffy, if it gets colder I'll switch out the hoody for a bit heavier hoody.

Medium weight pants with a light pair of merino long under wear. Merino socks, I use un-insulated Schnee Timberlines. Gaiters if snow.

If we are going to be sitting and glassing I have a heavier, whitetail style stand jacket I'll wear, but it can get hot hiking!

Hnthrdr

WKR
It’s a coin toss, bring a lot and keep it in the truck if you don’t need it. Last year I packed my buck out in 50 degree weather at 9am

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like what I have will be fine. Now I just gotta get the wife geared up with some decent base layers.

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you've got the basic layers, just be careful of dressing too warm, it can get quite pleasant in November. Take the time to shed or add layers and to dry off. Some glove options- a pair of thin merino, and then those flip back yarn type mittens get me through 90%, but I bring a heavier pair just in case. Rain jacket can double as a shell, I like a vest. Pro tip- a small piece of foam sleeping pad to sit or stand on.

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
Is your wife joining you on the hunt?

In my experience, you can freeze your ass off and still have a great hunt.

If your wife is freezing... well that's another story.
Yes she is coming and that is what I want to avoid the most.

SonnyDay

WKR
Yes she is coming and that is what I want to avoid the most.
Is the list you shared for both of you? If so I think the comments you have so far generally apply to both of you… but make sure she’s got some legit puffys!

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
No. I've picked her up some stuff that's been on sale here and there so far. Some kings leggins, a kings transition synthetic jacket, one of the costco puffy jackets, some darn tough socks. Probably gonna get her a pair of the cheap nature hike puffy pants, probably some black ovis merino tops and some of the arctic shield boot insulators. I'm hoping that will be enough. And she could use basically all of it in everyday use or whitetail stand hunting with me.

SonnyDay

WKR
If you can find 'em on sale, I would recommend silk top and bottom base layers for her (and you too, for that matter). Underneath the other base layers it can really help--especially if there's wind.

Anyhow... good luck and have fun!

tracker12

WKR
I hunted 3rd season last year near Gunnison. Opening morning it was 6 degrees. As the week went on it got progressively warmer to almost 50s. I have hunted many 3rd seasons and it could be sunny at 50 or in the teens with snow. Have to be prepared.

OP
K

KY_coop

Lil-Rokslider
Looks like I will be bringing a little bit of everything