CO OTC Elk 2023 Questions

bxanders

FNG
Great advice and comments, as I too am looking forward to my first elk archery hunt. Has anyone on here had good first time experiences with some of the "drop in" camps that most outfitters advertise? Is this a better approach than going solo your first time if cost isn't your biggest concern? Seems to me a smart way to get broke in and learn if you at least have some help close by for pack out (if you're successful) and they can advise where to possibly find elk. I also appreciate the fact at some point, you just have to go and find out for yourself first hand. Like others have said, learn from the experience for next time.

Poser

WKR
Great advice and comments, as I too am looking forward to my first elk archery hunt. Has anyone on here had good first time experiences with some of the "drop in" camps that most outfitters advertise? Is this a better approach than going solo your first time if cost isn't your biggest concern? Seems to me a smart way to get broke in and learn if you at least have some help close by for pack out (if you're successful) and they can advise where to possibly find elk. I also appreciate the fact at some point, you just have to go and find out for yourself first hand. Like others have said, learn from the experience for next time.

I’d be hesitant on drop camps unless you have a destination in mind. I’ve seen it all: drop camps in the same spot every week of archery season. Drop camps in the middle of 1000 head of sheep. Drop camps that feel deep but are in high recreation areas that look great on maps but are blown out by June due to traffic.

On the other hand, I was talking shop with a guide who’s outfitter did an expensive drop camp into a basin with only a climbers trail (cut 100s of down trees) at a client’s request. No elk seen in a week. The basin was rotationally empty even though there are elk in there in the regular.

You get what you get with a drop camp and you aren’t going to get an outfitters “good spot” because, why would you? If you don’t know where you’re going or what you’re doing, you’re better off mobile hunting in the modern Colorado setting.

Tobe_B

Lil-Rokslider
I’d be hesitant on drop camps unless you have a destination in mind. I’ve seen it all: drop camps in the same spot every week of archery season. Drop camps in the middle of 1000 head of sheep. Drop camps that feel deep but are in high recreation areas that look great on maps but are blown out by June due to traffic.

On the other hand, I was talking shop with a guide who’s outfitter did an expensive drop camp into a basin with only a climbers trail (cut 100s of down trees) at a client’s request. No elk seen in a week. The basin was rotationally empty even though there are elk in there in the regular.

You get what you get with a drop camp and you aren’t going to get an outfitters “good spot” because, why would you? If you don’t know where you’re going or what you’re doing, you’re better off mobile hunting in the modern Colorado setting.

This is entirely subjective to the outfitter and the style of business they operate. I get that some outfitters get a bad reputation with this, but don’t pigeon hole all of us in the same group.

We don’t offer any guided hunts, only drop camps, and drop trips. We have two permanent drop camps, or a hunter can request to have a camp set in their area of choosing. We get those guys as close as we can without putting them on top of other known camps or hunters. We also drop guys in similar spots all season. Some hunters do better than others. Typically that has more to do with the individual groups and not the area.

If you’re going with an outfitter. Do lots of research. Outfitters that have openings have them for a reason. I would advise someone that’s wanting to go deep solo to pay for an outfitter to take you. Especially if you’re set on a specific area from doing your own research and wanting to go several miles in. Solely for the reason of being able to get meat back out. When hunting season rolls around our paying trips get preference for meat packing. Meaning if you are paying us to take you in and out, you will have the animals you need to get that done adequately. For the guys that backpack in and then call us to pack an elk out. We may or may not be able to, too many variables to guarantee a solo hunter a packout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayporter

WKR
there are good drop camp outfitters. i hunted with one twice when i only had young stock.
and killed
and never saw a soul.

i used to know another but am not sure if he still offers drop camps.

i do recommend a drop camp.

CentennialState

Lil-Rokslider
I went in 7 miles and 2400ft and had a team of 8 horses and 2 backpack hunters on my heels. My buddy shot a beautiful bull half mile from where he left his truck. If backpacking in it's a huge part of what you enjoy, get after it. If it's largely to attempt to improve your odds.... I'm not sure it's all that efficient. That's not to say you won't/ can't find elk a million miles in.... it's just to say you really don't likely have to. You're going to find other hunters either way in Colorado
“You're going to find other hunters either way in Colorado”
Ain’t that the truth!!

I just skimmed through most of this, so maybe it was mentioned already. I think time is your biggest asset when it comes to archery hunting public land. I guided hunts for 20+ years and to kill an elk on public land with a bow, you have to do everything right, 100% of the time and get lucky. It's real hard to do everything right 100% of the time. When I hunted for myself in SW CO OTC for elk I always gave myself at least 2 weeks. I've killed bulls 2 miles back in wilderness areas, and I killed a bull within sight of a paved road in the same area. I've killed on the first day and on the 15th day. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you just have to grind to find them. Elk are where elk are, and 1 hot cow can change your whole outlook on things. Spend some time in August getting the lay of the land and if you're limited on time, spend whatever you can either hunting the 1st week, when they are still in a summer pattern or the last week when hopefully the are making some noise. I would usually hunt the 1st week, go home over Labor day and come back for the last 2 weeks of the season. It takes time to learn an area so don't be discouraged. Keep the wind in your face, resist the urge to call for no reason, and put in your time.

WKR
WIth statewide archery success being quite low and travel costs being higher and higher these days, it is always interesting to me that folks won't burn small point totals on archery units. For example, an area that I have killed some elk in and have seen a ton of elk in. Its on the front range, takes 2 points for NR archery. Total tags for a very large unit is 80. Success rate is 27%.

I mean if it was me coming from out of state, I'd burn minimal points every 2-4 years and hunt elk in an area where the number of hunters is limited, the elk herd is healthy, and the success rate is triple the average.

But we do appreciate the tourist dollars each fall so keep pounding the OTC areas.

welcome to the forum.

I've used a bike once, to get to the back of a deep draw that had a relatively flat trailhead in it. I stashed the bike in the woods, and later that day, rode it all the way back to camp, about 5 miles back down the road. Havent done it since.

that said, the draw I'm thinking of was pretty accessible by foot, also, and thats how I've accessed it since.

OTC CO is getting to be really rare dirt, and very crowded. that said, there's still elk there. do some serious game-planning and have a great trip. My "lessons learned" from that trip is quite long, but I'm still going back and enjoying it. :) Good luck to you.

jgilber5

Lil-Rokslider
Take this with a grain of salt but 2022 was my first archery hunt. I had e-scouted spots 2-5 miles in for months and had a plan A-Z. Hiked in the afternoon before and dropped half a mile off the road to camp for the night before getting all the way in there. Took a 5x6 200 yards from my tent in the morning before a stream of hunters came by all destined for that far away basin. The Elk will be everywhere at some point in the season and of the day. Seems like alot of guys I observed passed through great areas, but at the wrong times.

Definitely put boots on the ground. The San Juan’s are as rugged as it gets so as many scouting trips as you can get will help increase your odds of success over the escouters by virtue of learning an area or 3

EJFS

Lil-Rokslider
The use of an e-bike can be helpful, but does not align with your go deep approach. (You need some sort of road/gravel/path for an e-bike; most places don’t have that “infrastructure” in place, and if they do, you will have a lot of company.). Most of the places I’ve hunted in CO you wouldn’t be able to take an e-bike more than 100 yards off the paved road - too steep/rugged/rocky. While there may be some sort of appeal to using an e-bike, it really becomes a limiter - you can only go where they function. So, if you are going on a scouting trip in the summer, take your e-bike with and let us know how it works out!

You can not go where they function. You can (or should) go where they are legal. Which, on FS land, means trails open to motorized use. I think they could be a great tool, but should be used appropriately.

FNG
I live in South Central CO, and i can tell you, It's really about the experience you'd like to have. If you're looking for a backpacking experience, then by all means go for it. The hunters and other recreators (mtn bikers, hikers, etc) they will be in most places you go to now, whether you're deep in or by the roads and main trails. That's just the name of game in CO now. Population boom leads to recreation boom.

Elk have had to learn to adjust to the numbers of people. Obviously, some elk aren't adjusting as cow to calf ratios are declining especially in the SW part of the state. But they have to make a living now with more and more people. As a hunter you've gotta be willing to adjust too, either adjust expectations of being truly alone or adjust the plans to not go in so deep.

All these posts about packing a bull out need to be taken seriously. Packing elk is no joke!

Hnthrdr

WKR
Just here looking for which units in southern/ south western Co are Otc for archery? ;) Last I checked they are all draw

Ltoops

FNG
Good Info, I have done two OTC CO Elk hunts and came up close but no cigar on the last. Gotta get out there and find out anyhow.