CO OTC Elk 2023 Questions

csd99

FNG
So I have finally decided to commit to an OTC elk hunt in 2023. I’ve narrowed down the season to archery and the region to the south/southwest. I know people find success covering lots of ground on roads, but I would really love to go in deep since getting as far as I can from civilization is half the fun for me.

My current plan is to try my hardest to get as far from people as I can and try to locate places the elk would experience less pressure from other hunters. I’d be looking for places at 8k-12k ft of elevation with plenty of timber, scattered meadows, and some water nearby. I would try to scout 3-4 times throughout the summer. Is this a viable strategy? Am I missing something here? I’d love to end up with an elk to fill the freezer but ultimately I’d be happy having just seen elk while hunting. Also, is there any merit to using e-bikes to get to/ close to a secluded campsite?

Thank you for any responses.

Going in deep is all fine, but how you going to get the meat out if you are one the 8% that are successful. Solo, in more then 2 miles is a challenge unless you are just hunting off a major trail. Then you will not need to worry about any meat!

Hondo0925

Lil-Rokslider
Ditch the e-bike idea. If you go deep in Colorado you’re probably going to be near wilderness so it would be pointless.
There’s lots of open ground, lots of elk, lots of people and lots of fallen trees. Stick with it and you’ll find success in one way or another.

I posted the results of my OTC 2021 trip here:

Forget the "going deep" thing, you need to go smart. Colorado has some of the lowest obesity rates in the US, everyone is fit, and everyone is using advice from 2014, go deep is now a poor strategy.

You cannot out walk the competition in CO, you have to outsmart them....how you do that comes with experience.

Think really really hard about your pack out logistics should you be successful, especially if going alone. Posts like this make seasoned elk hunters roll their eyes when they read about someone planning to "go deep" several miles into rugged terrain and then expecting to carry out elk quarters like it's a trip to Costco.

Poser

WKR
Read these posts carefully and let that info sink in. Aside from that, if you have the ability to come out and scout a few times like mentioned, do that and you’re plans will adjust to reality anyway.

Like others have said hunt smart and be flexible/adaptable. Going deep and steep in CO isn't always the best solo strategy for archery elk. Enjoy your time in the field, gain experience, and hone your skills. If you kill one it's a bonus.

gabenzeke

WKR
A different reason not to go deep....you'll spend a significant amount of time or energy getting there. Once there, you're committed. And there may not be elk there. Then you have to spend the same amount of time and energy to get out, and more time and energy to get to plan b.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

peaches

Lil-Rokslider
Go deep can work but a major issue is bumping into outfitters. More than once I've surprised outfitters and gotten "how did you get in here?". They can give some major attitude and act like they own the place - talking public land here. I use them to my advantage because the folks they bring in are often out of shape or can't walk far. I hunt the timber, north slopes, and escape routes in these circumstances.
Don't let these guys discourage you. It can be done, but you better be honest with yourself about your mental toughness and have a meat and emergency strategy.

Slugz

WKR
Get intel on the area before coming up with a plan.
Scout as much as you can.
Have a plan A - Z
Remain flexible.
Don't fall in love with one plan. They are where they are.
Be happy seeing elk like you said.
Scout as much as you can.

Maverick1

WKR
So I have finally decided to commit to an OTC elk hunt in 2023. I’ve narrowed down the season to archery and the region to the south/southwest. I know people find success covering lots of ground on roads, but I would really love to go in deep since getting as far as I can from civilization is half the fun for me.

My current plan is to try my hardest to get as far from people as I can and try to locate places the elk would experience less pressure from other hunters. I’d be looking for places at 8k-12k ft of elevation with plenty of timber, scattered meadows, and some water nearby. I would try to scout 3-4 times throughout the summer. Is this a viable strategy? Am I missing something here? I’d love to end up with an elk to fill the freezer but ultimately I’d be happy having just seen elk while hunting. Also, is there any merit to using e-bikes to get to/ close to a secluded campsite?

Thank you for any responses.
Nice first post. As you can see, you hit a hot button topic here on Rokslide with the “go deep” approach. How fun! Anyhow, your plan sounds solid. Everyone has to start from somewhere. A couple of comments:

The areas you outline should have elk in them. If not, be prepared to try multiple spots your first time out.

Summer scouting can be helpful, but isn’t entirely necessary. If you are close by, then go for it. There are areas I’ve scouted in mid summer that have been helpful in finding sign and water sources. One thing to keep in mind is elk have different areas they use depending on the season, so if you find elk in July, don’t get too fired up - they might not be there in September. I’ve made several out of state scouting trips that have been very helpful in the fall, and others that have been a waste of time - well, they showed me where not to go! I’ve also scouted and found areas that looked great, but then got there and found a lot of other trucks and people hunting. So, have a plan but be flexible.

The use of an e-bike can be helpful, but does not align with your go deep approach. (You need some sort of road/gravel/path for an e-bike; most places don’t have that “infrastructure” in place, and if they do, you will have a lot of company.). Most of the places I’ve hunted in CO you wouldn’t be able to take an e-bike more than 100 yards off the paved road - too steep/rugged/rocky. While there may be some sort of appeal to using an e-bike, it really becomes a limiter - you can only go where they function. So, if you are going on a scouting trip in the summer, take your e-bike with and let us know how it works out!

Welcome to Rokslide. Now that you have the obligatory “CO-OTC” first post out of the way, please know that no one is going to give your their honey hole, and yes, there is a ten post minimum to start using the classifieds. LOL.