CO Elk Structure, 2025+

I talk with the fish cop for the area a bit. He knows and recommends the tags reduction every year. Then the commission ups the numbers. Grab that $$$$

I talk with the fish cop for the area a bit. He knows and recommends the tags reduction every year. Then the commission ups the numbers. Grab that $$$$

You guys have to remember CPW isn’t the ones responsible for raising tag prices it’s not CPW out for the $$$$, it’s the Commission!!!!’ The GOVERNOR APPOINTED WILDLIFE COMMISSION!!!! The Commission makes a ton of the decisions for your hunting and fishing the CPW is basically there to follow their rules and enforce them, that’s about it….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This might show how long it's been since I hunted mule deer, but I was thinking we still had the 3 point and better restrictions. I'm guessing from your statement that those are gone now?

Man I think the point restriction was cut over 20 years ago!!! Some units did have it when I started hunting 22 years ago, but that was basically the trophy units like 44. I remember reading the reg book cover to cover when I was 12 for my first hunt, I was in unit 36 and missed a 4X4 and dropped a fork horn, my dad was freaking out that I shot to small of a buck. But I knew the regs. That was in like 2000,

This might show how long it's been since I hunted mule deer, but I was thinking we still had the 3 point and better restrictions. I'm guessing from your statement that those are gone now?
There hasn't been antler point restrictions for deer since the 90's, once CWD became the hot topic it was open season on Deer and still is. Mule Deer herds are in horrible shape IMO.

4 point restrictions for Deer and 6 point restrictions for Elk I'd definitely support.

There hasn't been antler point restrictions for deer since the 90's, once CWD became the hot topic it was open season on Deer and still is. Mule Deer herds are in horrible shape IMO.

4 point restrictions for Deer and 6 point restrictions for Elk I'd definitely support.

Man 6 point for elk would put success rates down to 2% I bet, I think the 4point for elk and 3 points for deer would be good.

Not sayin the 6 point restriction would be bad, I’m sure it would help a ton of elk actually grow and possibly help quality of bulls.

The higher the point restrictions, I would imagine the higher the non-legal shootings would be. Especially for rifle when you're making snap decisions on a bull that might really appear to be a 6x6. My buddy shot a bull several years ago during archery that he was 100% confident was a 6x6......big top end with long 4ths, 5th's, and 6th's. When he got to it, he saw that there were no 3rd's on either antler. I've seen the same with 2nd's as well.

For muley's I wouldn't shoot one that wasn't a really good 4x4+ anyway, but man.......I had no idea those restrictions disappeared over 20 years ago. No wonder people are so irritated.

Man 6 point for elk would put success rates down to 2% I bet, I think the 4point for elk and 3 points for deer would be good.

Not sayin the 6 point restriction would be bad, I’m sure it would help a ton of elk actually grow and possibly help quality of bulls.

You'd see success drop a little the first year but the next year it would rebound, most of the bulls getting harvested are small 4's and 5's or 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 year old Bulls, I'd like to see them grow

The higher the point restrictions, I would imagine the higher the non-legal shootings would be. Especially for rifle when you're making snap decisions on a bull that might really appear to be a 6x6. My buddy shot a bull several years ago during archery that he was 100% confident was a 6x6......big top end with long 4ths, 5th's, and 6th's. When he got to it, he saw that there were no 3rd's on either antler. I've seen the same with 2nd's as well.

For muley's I wouldn't shoot one that wasn't a really good 4x4+ anyway, but man.......I had no idea those restrictions disappeared over 20 years ago. No wonder people are so irritated.

That would be my concern atleast with 6 point restrictions, I could see 6 point restrictions in OIL units, but for like my unit I hunt we prolly wouldn’t kill hardly any bulls at all. We see quite a few 6 points not saying they aren’t there but opportunity at the 6 point plus bulls considerably less.

I personally know guys that won’t shoot anything but certain sizes me personally I heard from a guy that I really look up to that if a mule deer is a 3 point it will never get bigger than a 3 point and 3 points are bad for the gene pool. I dont really know how truthful that is but I’ve always taken it to heart and I harvest 3 points or better only now for deer.

We all had to adjust to the 4pt restrictions years ago, why not put the responsibility back on the hunters to pay attention to what we are shooting. I'd like to see older Bucks and Bulls out there, more of a don't restrict us from hunting but restrict what we can harvest.

I agree, I think you may have partially misunderstood how I was putting it. I’m more of a less tags more animals type of guy, pressure to me is needed in areas but also to much. My unit this year we seen 8 hunters in 7 days, unfortunately none of those hunters went anywhere but the super easy areas, this in turn had elk sitting in the nastiest spots they could be. We seen several people blasting away from over 1000 yards as we were trying to make a long move on the elk then never even had the balls to walk in and check for hits on the elk. That pissed me off. But also OTC unit with way to many draw cow tags available and herd numbers not growing. The next day those elk were on private land and not leaving.

Resident tag prices need raised, non residents have had enough raises over the past 10 years. I’m all for a fully draw only season, cut archery down to 3 weeks, give muzzy their own week, cut 4th rifle out and make 1st, 2nd and 3rd rifle 7 day seasons. Or make 4th a deer only season with very limited tags and point restrictions on all bucks through all the seasons.

I hunted a draw unit for archery elk on the western slope this year. Last time I hunted it in 2016 or 17, it was otc. I saw more hunters now that it's a draw than I did when it was otc. And less elk seen or heard. It was a ghost town for elk. Managed for opportunity im sure. You bring up another point. If I don't draw an archery tag next year, I will be dusting off the 7 mag for a rifle hunt

Last edited:
Just to clarify, I wasn’t talking about the tag cost. The commission keeps upping tag numbers for money. The biologist keeps sending reports on the herd health and declining numbers. The commission ignores it.

I could get behind a 5pt + restriction, pretty much let the raghorns grow.

I think the DOW needs to take the draw units for archery to it’s logical conclusion (get rid of OTC) but limit the tags.

Back