CO Elk Stats

bz_711

WKR
Wanted to share some CO Elk stats - harvest and population estimates (I understand they are estimates) - and get others opinion on them.
What jumps out at first to me is that over the last 12 years, CO is coming off the lowest harvest of Elk and the lowest population estimate. The good news is that us archers are increasing our harvest and % of overall harvest.

Personally, I have only hunted one unit for the last 5 bowseasons, just 5 days each year. Overall I would say elk numbers are down slightly (based on our total sightings) but our success is up some (based on experience I'm sure). Was shocked to see our unit fall from a harvest of 317 to only 160 last year.

Are there any insiders with the DOW that know where they would like to see these numbers? What are others opinions based on your first hand - on the ground accounts?

Just some food for thought during a long off season...and makes me wonder if these numbers are more population based, or result of less tags sold (going to other states, staying home/prices getting too high, etc).

Attachments

• Elk.jpg
    Elk.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 125
All the stuff ive read has them adjusting their numbers going forward. Alot of units are still over objective. THE BIG PROBLEM is that elk are smarter, and alot of them arent going to the high country any more or they leave at the first sign of pressure... Every write up reads the same about private land issues. Saying the elk are holding up on private and they cant control the herd.

Alot of states have that problem, Montana even wrote an article in Montana Outdoors about how and estimated 70% of the elk live on private land most of the year now.. talk about a problem for hunting and selling tags. At least the state admitted it publically. Colorado has the same problem..Hence why all the tv shows sans 1 or 2 are on private ranches now, even some of them that claim to be DIY Backcountry. Colorado wont admit how bad it is, that would cost them to much money. They just say they winter on private land, to bad some of them never leave the winter feed grounds on the cheateu relaxo...

I haven't been to CO since 2012 for muzzleloader elk, but that year the elk seemed to all be WAY up high. We could hardly find an elk in the timber, but above timber there were a bunch. I have noticed over the years that the area we hunt does not have a very high published success rate, but we bring home elk every time...

All I know is reading the detailed DAU management info on the CPW website I'd say the harvest is low because they worked hard to bring down the population to objective. Pretty interesting stuff when you dig into it.

The license revenue question is a big one. I was recently at a CPW meeting where a slide was shown that illustrated the long term decline in hunters and license sales. That revenue stream alone accounted for 41%of CPW's total budget and comes from only 14% of users ( hunters and fisherman). You can bet your favorite pair of boots they are concerned.

I live and hunt in Colorado. Over the last 5 or 6 years, I have seen the elk numbers decline by 40-50% on the public land that I hunt. I thought that the first decline was just an "odd" year. But this has happened every year. I have also noticed a reduction in the population of elk that are typically not pressured (those close to Denver on private land and "open space." I call these elk the townies.)

I don't know what Colorado DOW is claiming, but in the areas that I am familiar with, elk numbers are declining.

Not sure about declining. Maybe a little. I think they're getting smarter, and hiding out better from the pressure.

Not sure about declining. Maybe a little. I think they're getting smarter, and hiding out better from the pressure.

This is true. Back when I first started hunting in 1980 I think they said we had around 180k elk in the state. I'd see hundreds of elk every year, as well as deer. Filling tags was a foregone conclusion.......happened every year.

Then more recently they've shown numbers above 300k and I've hunted numerous areas around the state during this time. They are either missing the mark on population estimates, or the elk are living on private land year round. I do know of some ranches that have huge herds year round these days. The elk aren't stupid.

...Just interesting to look at sometimes...it does not change my desire or plans one bit - cannot wait to chase elk in the mountains! A hunt with 100% odds does not interest me - anyone could do it - at least for me the challenge of taking an elk with bow makes the reward much sweeter.

For you CO guys, how would you rate this winter/spring as far as it's impact on elk & deer (snow, temps, etc)?

Thanks!

For you CO guys, how would you rate this winter/spring as far as it's impact on elk & deer (snow, temps, etc)?

Thanks!
North / North central was an average winter I'd say. We had some cold spells, some warm spells and normal snowfall. It's been an average spring, with normal to below normal moisture.

I've been out quite a bit since January and all the animals I've seen (elk and deer) looked to be in good to very good condition coming through the winter.

The main area I hunt in CO I would guess numbers are down a pretty good amount or just more on private as residents

The winter was pretty mild overall. Most river basins are below average snow pack levels. We are in the process of getting hammered right now with snow and rain. The storm is supposed to last a total of 5 days. The front range and areas on the eastern slope are getting 1 to 2 feet of snow. As long as we get some decent moisture this spring/ summer the herds over all should be in pretty good shape.

Last edited:
I guess mother nature gets the last laugh this time. I've got about 14" out there right now, and it's still coming down hard. So much for spring, and going fly fishing.

I sure wish we would have gotten hammered, but with just a few inches and the wind my trees took a hit with broken branches all over the yard. I'd love to see another 5-6 feet in the mountains before June.

Back