CO Elk hunt — Let’s see some photos of rag horns

intunegp

WKR
How can u tell from 200 yards?

You can't, it's a BS guess at best. People will talk about comparing the length to the ear, the face/snout, etc...which is still guess work. If you're extremely close to an elk it gets a little easier but I wouldn't be shooting on this rule 99% of the time. Antlers grow in funny ways sometimes and bulls have definitely existed that you could immediately look at them and know the brow was over 5", but those bulls also usually have enough other points not to worry about it.

fishslap

WKR
You can't, it's a BS guess at best. People will talk about comparing the length to the ear, the face/snout, etc...which is still guess work. If you're extremely close to an elk it gets a little easier but I wouldn't be shooting on this rule 99% of the time. Antlers grow in funny ways sometimes and bulls have definitely existed that you could immediately look at them and know the brow was over 5", but those bulls also usually have enough other points not to worry about it.

This one was easy to be confident in shooting.

IMG_9745.jpeg

As I’ve only had one failed (really hoping he survived) raghorn encounter I am looking at all these rag pics and drooling. September is barely over a month away and I’m giddy as I was 30 years ago hunting whitetail as a teenager. Hope that feeling never fades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jaquomo

WKR
Your binocs don't have a ruler?
Garmin should be out with antler measuring optics shortly, using the infamously exaggerated "outfitter scale". The ad slogan will be, "Turn your raghorn into a 300" bull!"

Maverick1

WKR
As I’ve only had one failed (really hoping he survived) raghorn encounter I am looking at all these rag pics and drooling. September is barely over a month away and I’m giddy as I was 30 years ago hunting whitetail as a teenager. Hope that feeling never fades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just wait until one comes running in on a string, smashing through the woods like a freight train, stops at 30 yards behind some brush, and rips off a bugle so loud it vibrates and thumps your chest!!!!!

I just shoot spikes and don't worry about it.
Cows are even better. You think rags are in trouble, you do not want to be a 2 year old cow without calf around me. ha! Elk are my freezer filler. I don't even really like hunting them, its not high on my list, but I've arrowed a few.

All other game species I'm picky, elk, I just shoot them and packem. I used to shoot two a year, one year three, but these days, no kids parties, just me and "mami", one is good.

Good luck to all!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Cows are even better. You think rags are in trouble, you do not want to be a 2 year old cow without calf around me. ha! Elk are my freezer filler. I don't even really like hunting them, its not high on my list, but I've arrowed a few.

All other game species I'm picky, elk, I just shoot them and packem. I used to shoot two a year, one year three, but these days, no kids parties, just me and "mami", one is good.

Good luck to all!
Mid altitude cow elk in Wyoming is still the best damn elk meat I’ve ever had.

They bounce from private farm land to blm and forest state land around 4,000-6000 feet.

Soooooo tasty.

Ucsdryder

WKR

Good luck to all!
I always think shooting a 2.5 year old cow is a great idea. Then I shoot some behemoth clydesdale of a cow elk that must be 12 years old and chews like shoe leather.