CO Bear Spray or Sidearm?

Jakerex

WKR
Is bear spray or a side arm necessary for elk hunting in central CO?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will probably get an equal number of yes and no responses....

I personally have never felt the need for either in Colorado. Do some google searching and ask cpw for stats. Most bear issues are near homes not woods

brsnow

WKR
The crime stats with people or bear on hunters in CO are pretty low. Can’t be too many hunters assaulted each year. Good thing is you can bring what helps you feel safe and secure. Personal choice.

dingleberns

Lil-Rokslider
Never have in colorado, they are like big raccoons just looking for food. I know I've slept with them nearby because I have one large bear on camera and I only slept on a pad with no tent that year.

OP
J

Jakerex

WKR
Hear a lot of stories here in western PA about bear chasing you off your kill......they come to gun shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Phaseolus

WKR
Since archery season is over you must be hunting with a rifle? If so save the weight and don’t carry.

I didn’t carry until I surprised a black bear on a deer carcass from about 10 yards.

Now, I carry every time I am bow hunting. When rifle hunting, I just trust the rifle

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Chance of even seeing a bear in Colorado during rifle season is small. If you have a rifle not needed. Just be careful if you are hiking back to your kill site to haul quarters out. Best to move any meat away from gut pile. Approach slowly. You will be fine.

Wiscohunter

Lil-Rokslider
I bowhunted CO last year without either and it never crossed my mind. I jumped a cinnamon phase black and it behaved like every black bear I've seen, it ran.

I don't think it is a bad idea to carry a sidearm for bow season and likely will in the future, but not for wildlife. Since you're rifle hunting, I'd feel fine with just the rifle.

Good luck on your hunt

Like others have said, it’s personal preference for your own sanity. I’ve been hunting in Colorado for past 7 years and have never had a single issue with a bear that a loud voice didn’t solve. I still carry bear spray in case needed

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
Why lose any sleep over it if you’re already worried? Just carry one or the other and sleep a little better.

Personally, a lightweight pistol helps keep me warm 😀