CO 2nd Rifle Tips

sram9102

WKR
No I'm not asking for your honey hole or even mentioning a unit. I drew a tag this year in a unit that a guy I know killed a bull in a few years ago. Nothing location specific, if you were going to give a first timer a tip, pointer, etc. What would it be?

SonnyDay

WKR
Stay out from first to last shooting light.

Keep the wind in your face.

Don’t over-invest in an area with no fresh sign.

By second rifle, there should be snow… which makes determining freshness easier.

Bring tire chains!

KClark91

FNG
Stay out from first to last shooting light.

Keep the wind in your face.

Don’t over-invest in an area with no fresh sign.

By second rifle, there should be snow… which makes determining freshness easier.

Bring tire chains!
This will be my first time out for second season. What’s your go-to mid day strategy? Get up high and glass, boots on the ground looking for fresh sign, or slow hunt dark timber?

SonnyDay

WKR
Get up high and glass, boots on the ground looking for fresh sign, or slow hunt dark timber?
Yes. Yes. And Yes.

It just depends on what's going on with the animals, the topography, weather, etc. If you're not sure, do one of them and the next day you'll probably have a better sense of which one makes sense.

The only wrong answer is going back to camp/town during the day.

FWIW, we usually come back to camp after morning ambush to grab a heartier breakfast at 8-ish... and then head back out until last light. Often we're moving, looking for sign, and getting to glassing places we think will hold elk.

I shot a bull last year during 1st rifle at 2pm on a bright sunny day... came across his tracks in melting, wet snow, and 10 minutes later he was dead. We were headed to glass some chutes a few miles away... but never got there!