Clothing: My Back Pack Hunting System, a hybrid of sorts...

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Below is what I use. I hunt 99% of time here in Alaska.

Base Layers:
(1) KUIU 185 Merino Wool Pants
(2) Smartwool Light Weight Boxers
(3) Smartwool Mountaineering Socks
(2) Cheapo Merino Wool T-Shirt (brand name washed off) that I found on Sierra Trading Post some years back. (Need to find a new light weight merino T-Shirt) Looking at Minus 33.. ??

Rain Gear:
KUIU Chugach Jacket
Patagonia Spraymaster MAR Special Pants (17ozs in Alpha Green)

Pants:
KUIU Attack Pants, but any synthetic hiking pant will work. I like the Attack Pants, but $150 is a lot of money for a pair of pants….

Insulation:
¾ Zip Smartwool Mid-Weight Long Sleeve Shirt
MontBell ThermaWrap Parka (12ozs of wonderful warmth)

Head Cover
OR Beanie
KUIU Neck Gaiter

Gloves
Sitka Shooter Gloves (the remind me of my old batting gloves, quite useful and easy to shoot the bow with)
Full Finger Wool GI Issue Gloves, had them since 95 or so and just can't wear them out..
Searching for burly waterproof shell glove to wear over either of the above.

Boots:
I go back and forth between two pair..
Cabela's Alaskan Meindls & A pair of La Sportiva Boots no longer made.
Both provide good support and are 100% Waterproof. The Meindls get the nod when the pack is heavy...
For camp shoes I like Crocs..
Gaiters: OR Crocodile

Options I have that use only as needed:
KUIU Guide Jacket
Primaloft Vest
Sitka Traverse Shirt ¾ Zip. This shirt serves no real purpose, but I really like it.. : )

Clothing I'd like to see made / modified:
KUIU 185 weight Loose Fit merino T ($30-$40 range, or I'll just use Minus 33)
Still searching for the perfect beanie that fits just right. Out of face, lots of ear & neck coverage.. Read something about the OR Radiant Beanie so may give that a shot.. KUIU also has the guide hat I'd like to check out some day, but won't buy it without trying it on...

Last edited:

craitchky

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Minus 33 stuff, you might want to look at Duluth Trading for a light weight merino wool shirt, I got one last season, good price and comfortable, not sure if they are available in short sleeve though.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Looks like a good list to me man. What animals ya chasing this year up here, what part of AK ya in?

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Bear in the spring, sheep in August, and hopefully squeeze something else in during the fall. :)

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Right on!!! You can always squeeze in an extra hunt or two!!! Just gotta give up fishing, and for some thats hard to do. Me I suck at fishing so I just go hiking instead. :D