Clothing for cold outdoor endurance activities

VuduDoc

FNG
Hey all, mostly a lurker to the fitness/nutrition forum and finally need some input. I was inspired by @Erussell01 over in the clothing thread (specifically his Grid Fleece Comparison) to find some, ideally affordable, layering pieces to use for outdoor running and road cycling that can double as part of my hunting layering system.

Currently I don't have a good solution for a jacket over my cycling jersey on windier days so I don't ride and do something else instead. I also stop my outdoor running season around the 45* 35* mark due to not having the right pieces that manage moisture and temperature for my short-mid distance morning runs and transition to indoor. I use a jogger-style sweat pant and they suck. I also use a thinner oversized Nike hoody and full-zip Adidas jacket that aren't the best either.

I own FL Kiln 250 quarter-zip top and full-zip bottoms that I use as my base for late season whitetail. 1 mi. hikes into my stand and then static for hours. As a top over the Kiln I use an Under Armour Cold Gear heavyweight quarter-zip fleece that has been amazing but definitely wouldn't work for any endurance activities.

I'm looking into the Condor grid fleece off of Amazon, the Patagonia R1 Air (could also wear it to the office), and maybe the Sitka Ambient UL, but the latter seems maybe too specialized to hunting/hiking/backpacking and isn't cheap... if I bought that one I'd probably want it in camo.

Any recommendations would be great for affordable bases or mid/outer layers that I can use running, road cycling, camping/hiking/backpacking, fishing, and hunting. Bonus if I can wear it to the office (think golf attire). Especially need recommendations for pants for outdoor running. TIA.

. . . . . . .
Also, yes this is a clothing question but it's for fitness so I wasn't sure which thread to put it in. I figured I'd get better feedback from the people actually doing the fitness over the people who are just into clothing.

EDIT: I stop running outside around the 35* mark not 45*. Just checked my running log cuz that started to not sound right.

Last edited:
Wait.. you stop running when it’s 45 and won’t ride your bike when it’s windy? No article of clothing is going to get you over that mental hump unfortunately

OP
VuduDoc

VuduDoc

FNG
Wait.. you stop running when it’s 45 and won’t ride your bike when it’s windy? No article of clothing is going to get you over that mental hump unfortunately
Well, no, not technically. I wrote in absolutes but it depends on the day. I'll usually run indoors those days and when the wind is over 20mph I will run or do some other cardio instead of ride my bike. I've ran in colder and biked in windier but it sure isn't my preference. I find it difficult to dictate all my thoughts concisely and still make my questions clear. Hopefully this helps.

Full transparency, I am coming out of a season of inconsistency with my training. I was under more stress than any time previously due to closing my business, moving twice, and having our first baby. So yes, I do need to work hard on building mental toughness, and will get there with time.

However, back to my question, what pieces of clothing do you like to use for these activities @DakotaBPNW?

Last edited:
I either wear a merino t shirt, or long sleeve depending on temps. If needed I throw on a light windbreaker like a Patagonia Houdini. I always wear shorts, my legs don’t get cold. You can find all of those items real cheap on eBay, that’s where I get mine

OP
VuduDoc

VuduDoc

FNG
I either wear a merino t shirt, or long sleeve depending on temps. If needed I throw on a light windbreaker like a Patagonia Houdini. I always wear shorts, my legs don’t get cold. You can find all of those items real cheap on eBay, that’s where I get mine
Sweet, thanks.

For snowshoeing, fat biking and bikejoring from 20°F down to -25°F I wear this jacket and outer windshell combo
I wear thinner or thicker base layers depending on how cold it's going to be and how much I will be exerting myself.
I almost always wear a merino base layer against my skin and an ultralight synthetic on top of it.

pattimusprime22

Lil-Rokslider
For outdoor running in colder weather, I use a polartec alpha direct hoodie from Senchi Designs. I don't think much can compete with polartec alpha direct from a breathability standpoint. It is not durable, so you won't be brushbusting in it, but I still wear it when hunting as a midlayer.

If it's going to be colder/windier, I will add a patagonia houdini as a light shell on top.

9.3koolaid

Lil-Rokslider
For outdoor running in colder weather, I use a polartec alpha direct hoodie from Senchi Designs. I don't think much can compete with polartec alpha direct from a breathability standpoint. It is not durable, so you won't be brushbusting in it, but I still wear it when hunting as a midlayer.

If it's going to be colder/windier, I will add a patagonia houdini as a light shell on top.
Same here, just a MH Kor Airshell instead of the Houdini

I own FL Kiln 250 quarter-zip top and full-zip bottoms that I use as my base for late season whitetail. 1 mi. hikes into my stand and then static for hours. As a top over the Kiln I use an Under Armour Cold Gear heavyweight quarter-zip fleece that has been amazing but definitely wouldn't work for any endurance activities.

I'm looking into the Condor grid fleece off of Amazon, the Patagonia R1 Air (could also wear it to the office), and maybe the Sitka Ambient UL, but the latter seems maybe too specialized to hunting/hiking/backpacking and isn't cheap... if I bought that one I'd probably want it in camo.
Any of these options would work fine. It always comes down to "how much do you want to spend?" and "what are/arent you getting for the higher/lower cost item..."

With that said, I have and have used all that you mention here: the Condor, R1, Ambient, and Ambient UL. All of them have their pros and cons, but I'm not sure any of them will cover the vast array of temperatures and output you have listed here.

I would almost say take that kiln and combine it with a Patagonia Houdini off of the Worn Wear website and start riding. The Kiln will cover you for colder active days as a stand alone piece. You can throw the Houdini on when the wind hits for windy days and as some added insulation (read: less breathability/wind penetration) on colder days that you usually take it indoors. For ~$60 or so, it seems like it'll offer the most versatility for everything you have listed.

For what it's worth: The Condor is excellent for the money. The R1 might be one of my favorite pieces in my closet, and the Ambient is really nice in specific situations....as is the Atom SL Coach Chris mentioned.

Htm84

WKR
I just run in a sweater and sweat pants when it’s cold. If it’s gonna be below zero I’ll use two sweaters.

OP
VuduDoc

VuduDoc

FNG
For what it's worth: The Condor is excellent for the money. The R1 might be one of my favorite pieces in my closet, and the Ambient is really nice in specific situations....as is the Atom SL Coach Chris mentioned.
Sounds like I now know what I'll be using that I already own, buying immediately, asking for for my birthday and Christmas, and selling some stuff I already own to buy. lol

Thanks a lot for sharing your experience.

P Carter

WKR
I have, or have tried, many or most of the fancy running tops out there.

By a long shot, my most used setup in the cold is a cheap paradox merino-blend longsleeve paired with an off-brand cycling wind vest, which has windproof material on the front and mesh on the back. I've been wearing the same shirts and vest for over 10 years. This gets me from the low thirties to mid-forties. If it's in the twenties, I'll go with the polartec alpha (actually, primaloft evolve, but same thing) hoodie. If it's in the teens, I'll do the primaloft evolve hoodie with a windjacket. (Houdini or mountain hardwear.) That setup is crazy warm and I'll almost always take off the windjacket halfway through.

I overheat too easily to wear anything fleece other than the primaloft evolve.

On the bottom, if it's thirty degree or above, I always wear shorts. In the twenties, I have a cheap pair of nike joggers. In the teens, it's the nike joggers with merino boxers.

Half buff on the head, gloves if it's thirty degrees or below.

This is a pretty versatile setup that doesn't cost a lot. Example pieces below.

Last edited:
For cold season running and skiing I've been using a backcountry brand primaloft evolve hoodie that is really really good. Its an ugly bright reddish pink color but I got it for 65$ on sale and it's really similar to my sitka ambient. Slightly wind proof, super breathable. Great fit. Hate hate hate the color. I should have paid double and got black lol

As far as super affordable cold weather high exertion my favorite go to combo right now is a full zip fleece hoodie zip found at mensrds for 11$. It's full polyester, great fit. It was in their work wear section, and I'll pair it with a wind proof vest like @pcarter mentioned above. You could also rock the amazon basics branded fleece quarter, full or hooded zip which is a really similar weight.

The condor grid fleece is good, but I got the condor crew and it's in my opinion it's better. I wear it to the office a ton (work in an admin role so I have to dress nicely and wear camo to the office, lame) and it's got a slightly better fit on me than the condor quarter zip. I think condor has some variance so if I rebought the quarter zip, it might end up being a better fit on the next copy.

Another really good quarter zip that I use a ton for high output and office daily wear is the sitka midweight zip. Its maybe the most unsung hero of the sitka lineup. Normal price at 99$, multiple solid color options and it's the perfect weight for damn near every day of the year. I have multiple and I use a camo one as a base layer in cold weather, a grey black and green one as part of my lineup for office, dinner dates etc. Fit is excellent, stretchy comfortable material. Haven't paid full price for one yet but honestly I would in a heartbeat. It's a really similar feel to the FL kiln as far as breathability but it's a touch less warm and tacky when you're doing high exertion things in the cold.

I do wear my FL kiln running or skiing sometimes but my issue with merino under high output in cold conditions is when I stop I immediately freeze because of the amount of moisture it can hold. Still works great if I'm moving and regulates temp well but I'm firmly a synthetic person on any midweight and heavier piece just for that fact.

My favorite lower body combo for cold weather running has been a midweight baselayer (sitka midweight, sitka heavyweight, wrangler work wear etc) under a pair of shorts. Perfect combo for me. For biking I prefer regular jogger type sweat pants and add a baselayer as needed since my legs generally don't get as cold as my torso. My hands are always a problem and my pinky and ring finger on both hands go numb in the cold fast so I actually wear burlier gloves earlier than I care to admit. I had a pair of goretex wind proof shorts which I'd wear under sweat pants for ski season and they were amazing until I left them on the back of the truck and they got donated to the great wilderness of northern mn

I admire the desire for multi-purpose gear, but endurance activities and hunting are emphatically different in terms of energy output. Hunting is much more stop and go, requiring different clothing and layering approaches. You’re going to have to accept some compromises if you’re committed to gear that can do it all.

I recently ran about a half marathon in sustained 20+ mph winds with temps hovering in the upper 30s wearing shorts, a long sleeve, synthetic top, and a hooded wind shirt. I was cold for 10 minutes but was plenty warm after that. I'd have been hypothermic in those conditions, with those clothes, if I was hunting.

There are some good suggestions in the posts above this one. The best thing is probably to “Be bold, start cold”. If you’re dressed lightly and can slow down the convective cooling from wind, you’ll generate enough heat to be comfy.

Here is my layering approach when I’m squeezing in runs at lunch (up to an hour long) in the colder months. I’d rather be cold to start and have stuff that moves moisture well. By cold - I mean teens to lower 40s. My primary running route is always windy due to the geography, 15 mph is about the lowest I see regularly.

• Legs – I find I can layer better if I keep some light wind protection on My legs. A pair of windproof tights meant for running or cross-country skiing have been amazingly versatile for me. Between winter endurance sports or as a heavy base layer while hunting, I love mine. Bonus points since they can prevent crotch frost bite…… but it’s got to be a lot colder than 35 for that to happen.
  • Shirt - I regularly wear a generic grid fleece if it’s below freezing. Otherwise, just a lightweight generic synthetic running shirt. The FL Kiln is fine for short stuff but doesn’t move moisture well enough for me.
  • Jacket- Most of the time I’ll use the First Lite Corrugate guide for running in cold weather. It blocks enough wind and it’s is breathable enough for high output, and if you get it in a solid color it can work for a jacket to the office. I regularly wear that jacket busting brush and it’s held up well. The Patagonia Houdini mentioned above is a great choice as well and what I wear in less rugged environments.
I have an older version of the Pearl Izumi Quest Barrier Jacket and that thing is outstanding for running and riding in cool to cold weather and the sleeves zip off into a vest. I’d never consider it for hunting though as the material is not tough enough.​
  • Hat and Gloves– I wear whatever ball cap I’m using for training and add a buff or similar. That give me the option to wear it as a balaclava, head band, neck gaiter, whatever I need to manage my warmth. I also typically wear a thin polyester or wool liner glove.

OP
VuduDoc

VuduDoc

FNG
I admire the desire for multi-purpose gear, but endurance activities and hunting are emphatically different in terms of energy output. Hunting is much more stop and go, requiring different clothing and layering approaches. You’re going to have to accept some compromises if you’re committed to gear that can do it all.
It seems obvious but when you want to simplify you just dream for that cross-over. Thanks for the reminder.

• Legs – A pair of windproof tights meant for running or cross-country skiing have been amazingly versatile for me. Between winter endurance sports or as a heavy base layer while hunting, I love mine.
  • Hat and Gloves– I wear whatever ball cap I’m using for training and add a buff or similar. That give me the option to wear it as a balaclava, head band, neck gaiter, whatever I need to manage my warmth. I also typically wear a thin polyester or wool liner glove.
Yeah I think I'll look into a dedicated running fitted pant for really cold runs and when I cycle.

I've also loved my smartwool liner gloves for that too. I guess I never thought about the neck gaiter usage, thanks for the ideas!

Jack84

FNG
Classified Approved
I ran a lot more then I usually do this past winter in windy and snowing conditions due to buying the Sitka evo jacket. Works well at cutting the wind, keeping you dry and still breathing.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would definitely agree that clothing system optimized for very high aerobic activities is going to look a little differently than one for hunting.

For high aerobic activities you definitely want a highly breathable wind layer, the trade-off is going to be it doesn't block wind or light precipitation as well. Patagonia makes two Houdini models- one is the "regular" that does a good job of blocking wind/precip, but doesn't breathe as well as their other model—the Houdini Air. For high aerobic activities I'd choose the Houdini Air.

For high aerobic activities you can almost always use lighter base layers and lighter mid-layers (in colder weather). You're simply generating more body heat and can get by with thinner layers.

For high aerobic activities I'd lean towards Alpha Direct over fleece for a mid-layer, they simply breathe better (and also dry quicker!).

The military adage of "be bold and start cold" holds true for both hunting and high aerobic activities.

I think a light base layer top, a "naked" Alpha Direct piece and a highly breathable wind layer would cover a very wide range of high output stuff.

Don't ignore hats/hoods/gloves/mitts; they really help me regulate a comfortable temperature on the move- adding/subtracting without the stopping.