Close to booking first sheep hunt-anything I am forgetting??

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Well I finally contacted some outfitters and am leaning toward Nahanni Butte at this point, mainly since they seem to have a good reputation and I want to fill a goat tag that I missed out on 25 years ago. They got back to me with prices and a date which would be the last 2 weeks of September of 2022. I am sure a late date would be best for goat hair but does this change anything as far as sheep? Is there anything else I should know or be asking at this point before I commit and send a deposit? This is 3 years away so I have plenty of time to prepare

joshgrigg

FNG
That’s great! I just returned from my first hunt and am already thinking about my next one.
I would get contact info from a bunch of their guides and talk to them. If he is reluctant to provide, that would be a red flag. It’s also super easy to find them on social media. I would talk to guides and get a sense of the operation, hunting style etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. By that time, temps will obviously be lower, and the ram's coats will be thicker...if doing a full-body mount the "feathering" on the legs is really cool and the coats are impressive, as contrasted with the summer coats of rams taken in NWT in July/early August or Yukon early August. Herb Klein, the legendary Texas wildcatter who was one of the sheep-hunting pioneers (see "Great Rams" I-IV by Robert K. Anderson), killed several rams early in his hunting years and early in the season, then later on decided that he liked the "winter coat" so much that he purchased full-body winter capes and had his taxidermist re-do multiple trophies...of course he had the money...but if it looked better to Herb...
2. Daylight will be shorter with fewer hours to hunt...but rams may be at lower elevations to avoid deeper snow at higher elevations. In 2016 I was in the Yukon and had shot a bull moose and a serious storm was coming in the next 2-3 days from the SW, and the ram I shot right before the storm hit was on the north "nose" of a bench off the mountain, with 10 other rams, feeding on the lower 1/4 of the mountainside only about 400 yards above the braids of the Whitestone River valley floor.
3. Be prepped with the best rain gear, know your layering, and stay warm so your not shivering when the time comes. It never got above 26 deg F on us in 2016 and we were there 8/31/-9/9.
4. The Lancaster family is top notch. "No question is a stupid question when you are spending the money". Ask whatever you think is pertinent, and they'll answer to the best of their ability. Talk with references and ask them about any negatives, perceived or real.
Best,
DWD

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
1. By that time, temps will obviously be lower, and the ram's coats will be thicker...if doing a full-body mount the "feathering" on the legs is really cool and the coats are impressive, as contrasted with the summer coats of rams taken in NWT in July/early August or Yukon early August. Herb Klein, the legendary Texas wildcatter who was one of the sheep-hunting pioneers (see "Great Rams" I-IV by Robert K. Anderson), killed several rams early in his hunting years and early in the season, then later on decided that he liked the "winter coat" so much that he purchased full-body winter capes and had his taxidermist re-do multiple trophies...of course he had the money...but if it looked better to Herb...
2. Daylight will be shorter with fewer hours to hunt...but rams may be at lower elevations to avoid deeper snow at higher elevations. In 2016 I was in the Yukon and had shot a bull moose and a serious storm was coming in the next 2-3 days from the SW, and the ram I shot right before the storm hit was on the north "nose" of a bench off the mountain, with 10 other rams, feeding on the lower 1/4 of the mountainside only about 400 yards above the braids of the Whitestone River valley floor.
3. Be prepped with the best rain gear, know your layering, and stay warm so your not shivering when the time comes. It never got above 26 deg F on us in 2016 and we were there 8/31/-9/9.
4. The Lancaster family is top notch. "No question is a stupid question when you are spending the money". Ask whatever you think is pertinent, and they'll answer to the best of their ability. Talk with references and ask them about any negatives, perceived or real.
Best,
DWD
Thanks for the input, I never thought about the daylight although that’s not a big deal, just good to know, as is the info on the sheep coats. If snow has the potential to push rams to lower elevations I would consider that a plus for me being a little older than most. Any suggestions on the rain gear and what to look at? I certainly need to look into references especially if he can provide any that have done the same combo hunt as I am planning

There’s a ton of prep to do, but you have plenty of time to pick up gear and so forth.

People will say this over and over again because it’s important. Be in the best physical shape you can be in for yourself. Gear will inevitably fail, it happens, but when your body fails physically and mentally - you’ll really be disappointed in yourself.

That’s the best “advice” I can give that I think really matters. Gear can be bought - physical endurance and mental toughness can’t. You’ll have plenty of time to train, but start thinking about it now. Good luck!!

Jimss

WKR
Overall hunting conditons are generally better during the early season. As mentioned, day length wiil be longer earlier...which is a big plus. One other consideration is the weather? You might ask if weather should be a concern later in the season? Where I hunt goats in Alaska the weather generally turns for the worse in Sept and Oct. I'm not sure if that's the case in Canada? Life in the backcountry can be pretty challenging in wet, cold conditions.....especially if you are doing a backpack hunt.

You will likely need to carry more clothes and gear to account for nastier weather? Also, if clouds come in you may be sitting in camp twiddling your thumbs....obviously that can happen any time but may be more common during later dates. Obviously it's a lot easier to hike when rocks aren't covered with snow or are wet.

In many spots in Alaska giant rams may start funneling down from high, rough locations later in the season but access may be tougher if the weather is sour. Sheep or goat may migrate to different winter range slopes if there is nasty weather though? I'd pin down with the guides/outfitter what conditions may exist early vs late.

I would agree that goat hair is a BIG advantage to hunting late. If it were me and I had the cash I would do 2 separate hunts. I would hit the prime time for sheep early and goats later. Not only will goat hair be better late but you will extend your experience to 2 separate trips and years! I imagine you could get a great goat hunt booked soon without having to wait a couple years?

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a ton of prep to do, but you have plenty of time to pick up gear and so forth.

People will say this over and over again because it’s important. Be in the best physical shape you can be in for yourself. Gear will inevitably fail, it happens, but when your body fails physically and mentally - you’ll really be disappointed in yourself.

That’s the best “advice” I can give that I think really matters. Gear can be bought - physical endurance and mental toughness can’t. You’ll have plenty of time to train, but start thinking about it now. Good luck!!
I started thinking seriously about this about 3 months ago and it gave me the will power to do something, albeit small at this point. In the last 3 months I did drop 10 lbs just by eating healthier which I intend to continue for the rest of my life. Next phase which will start very soon will include beginning physical activity. I have a complete gym set up in my garage with more equipment than I will ever need to get in top shape but I am starting with cardio and my elliptical. It has tons of programs which range from a flatlander walk to mountain climbing. Planning this sheep hunt has made me get serious about my health and the rest of my life. Retirement is just over 2 years away and this hunt is my gift to myself.

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Overall hunting conditons are generally better during the early season. As mentioned, day length wiil be longer earlier...which is a big plus. One other consideration is the weather? You might ask if weather should be a concern later in the season? Where I hunt goats in Alaska the weather generally turns for the worse in Sept and Oct. I'm not sure if that's the case in Canada? Life in the backcountry can be pretty challenging in wet, cold conditions.....especially if you are doing a backpack hunt.

You will likely need to carry more clothes and gear to account for nastier weather? Also, if clouds come in you may be sitting in camp twiddling your thumbs....obviously that can happen any time but may be more common during later dates. Obviously it's a lot easier to hike when rocks aren't covered with snow or are wet.

In many spots in Alaska giant rams may start funneling down from high, rough locations later in the season but access may be tougher if the weather is sour. Sheep or goat may migrate to different winter range slopes if there is nasty weather though? I'd pin down with the guides/outfitter what conditions may exist early vs late.

I would agree that goat hair is a BIG advantage to hunting late. If it were me and I had the cash I would do 2 separate hunts. I would hit the prime time for sheep early and goats later. Not only will goat hair be better late but you will extend your experience to 2 separate trips and years! I imagine you could get a great goat hunt booked soon without having to wait a couple years?
Thanks for the input.....you gave me lots to think about and l do need to ask a lot of questions. Goat and sheep are two animals I have never hunted but always wanted to. When I found out that Nahanni could combine these 2 animals I thought I should give it a shot in the event I never get another chance to go back. I have hunted most other North American big game except these two. Although now I am thinking it may not be the best idea......I guess the only way I will know is to ask more questions

easttex

Lil-Rokslider
When asking for references be sure to ask for people who have hunted in the same period you are contemplating. There is a world of difference in early August vs. late September.

Jimss

WKR
Another thing to ask may be how many hunters have they had in recent year's hunt both species the same trip? How many harvested both....and big of billies and rams did these hunters harvest on combo hunts? If it were me, I would hate to be in a hurry to shoot both species on 1 trip! You may shoot smaller animals rather than taking your time and harvesting a couple bruisers! 2 trips will obviously cost more for airfare, etc but it may be worth it? I'm not sure what kind of deal they are giving you for both species compared to hunting them separate?

There are giant billies in BC and some places in Alaska. I know score isn't everything but you may have potential to get a higher scoring billy on a trip elsewhere? Also, there are several places in Alaska where you can hunt billies in November and even December when they have winter coats that are pretty awesome! I really don't know about BC but imagine there ought to be some locations to hunt super late for goats there as well?

Lots of options out there if you are going guided! As you noticed there are a lot of details a lot of guys don't consider.

Thanks for the input.....you gave me lots to think about and l do need to ask a lot of questions. Goat and sheep are two animals I have never hunted but always wanted to. When I found out that Nahanni could combine these 2 animals I thought I should give it a shot in the event I never get another chance to go back. I have hunted most other North American big game except these two. Although now I am thinking it may not be the best idea......I guess the only way I will know is to ask more questions

Was going to say, I don’t think it’s a great idea if you really want to count on both species. If sheep is the primary goal and a goat is something you’d like to take if you come across the opportunity, then go for it.

I just think it would be tough to strike out on sheep the first few days and then move to another location focusing on getting a goat and abandon the sheep goal. Could be a trip saver if you weren’t going to find them, but would be a bummer if you would have tagged out on the second to last or last day as it seems common too.

I haven’t hunted either species, so take it for what’s its worth, that just my mentality on shorter hunts. If you’re talking about a 3 week trip, that’s another story. FWIW, if you’re “ self guided”, a lot of outfitters in AK are fine with you staying as long as you want to, regardless of what length trip you booked.

CTobias

Lil-Rokslider

If both animals are there, then two weeks is more than enough time. I had my goat down in less than 12 hours last year, and that was with hiking in after work.

I had this years sheep down in less than 36 hours.

It’s doable. Just be in as good of shape as possible. You have 3 years. You don’t need to “hit it hard” right now. Just start getting used to being more physically active. I’m not sure what level you’re at right now, but do more.

If you have mountains near you, then the best workout is a pack on your back and start heading up. I like the water jug workout. Carry the water up in a five gallon jug, and then dump it at the top. This will save your knees. I do light and heavy hikes prior to the season, but never go above 80lbs for my heavy hikes.

Good luck!!

OP
M

Murtfree

Lil-Rokslider
Was going to say, I don’t think it’s a great idea if you really want to count on both species. If sheep is the primary goal and a goat is something you’d like to take if you come across the opportunity, then go for it.

I just think it would be tough to strike out on sheep the first few days and then move to another location focusing on getting a goat and abandon the sheep goal. Could be a trip saver if you weren’t going to find them, but would be a bummer if you would have tagged out on the second to last or last day as it seems common too.

I haven’t hunted either species, so take it for what’s its worth, that just my mentality on shorter hunts. If you’re talking about a 3 week trip, that’s another story. FWIW, if you’re “ self guided”, a lot of outfitters in AK are fine with you staying as long as you want to, regardless of what length trip you booked.
I understand your point and agree with you.....but by booking a combo my plan is still to make the sheep primary and if I don’t tag out on a decent sheep I will forgo the goat part of the hunt; it’s really only something to do if I tag out on a sheep early. This scenario happened to me about 25 years ago when I hunted in BC on a combo hunt. Primary animal was Elk and Goat was secondary.; it was a great Stone Sheep area but I was too poor to hunt them. I also had tags for Moose, Black Bear, Mountain Caribou, wolf and wolverine. BC had a 6 pt rule on Elk and my guide who was a FNG was more interested in the camp cook than finding a legal bull for me. We rode around on horseback in circles for 9 days at my spike camp and on the last day the outfitter came in and fired my guide and gave me a new guide. That evening I tagged out on my 6x6 elk but had no time to fly into the Goat, Caribou area. The only positive that came out of that hunt was I killed a nice bull Moose and black bear as add ons that happened to wander in front of us while we rode the horses in circles. So I won’t give up on a nice sheep just to kill a goat......I could always book a second hunt to do that if necessary