Close Range Whitetail Bullets

A.hol1

Lil-Rokslider
Cavity back bullets MKZ are fantastic for short and medium range in my experience. I use them exclusively in 6.8 SPC pistol AR and have yet to have a deer or yote go farther than 40 yards, massive blood trail. They hold together and dump all their energy quick.

Haven’t shot past 225 yards, woods too thick around me for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tuffcity

WKR
Touch bigger than the 6.5 but here is the result of a 45-70 with 325 gr, at about 40 yds. He didn't go far. :)

Us88CW1.jpg

The ELDX is a good bullet for distance. My daughter got a Dall ram at 350 last year with my 6.5 CM, one shot, about 5 steps.

DosAmigos

FNG
This is what I’ve had great results with
308 win 130 TTSX
6.5 Prc 130 TSX
300 Win 190 LRX
30 Nos 210 ABLR

I’ve killed Wt to big game from 100 yards out to 500 yards. I personally prefer a bonded bullet or a copper. Don’t over think it. Pick something your rifle will shoot accurately and shot placement is key.

35remy

FNG
My .35 Remington has had great success with both Speer Hot Cor 180’s and Hornady FTX 200’s. I’ve read some complaints about the FTX, but I have never had an issue. I reload mostly as ammo is difficult to find, but Remington just released the 360 Buckhammer with the same ballistics I’m getting from my hand loads (200gr .358 at close to 2150 fps). Henry is chambering rifles in both calibers, and the new Ruger made marlins should be available in .35 Remington again as well.

One line of factory ammunition I have had good close range success with is the Winchester Deer Season XP. Seems to have a great energy dump out of several calibers I’ve tried (6.5cm,30-06,350 legend).

I’ve also only ever had DRT’s with my 45-70 (Hornady 300gr JHP hand loads and 405 ACME powder coated flat nose hand loads).

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve killed 3 white tails in the last 2 years in the southeast. All under 75 yard shots. 2 were shot with federal terminal ascent. One bled like hell, one didn’t exit and I didn’t find a drop of blood. Both deer ran 40-50 yards and were recovered quite easily. The terminal ascent caused a little more meat damage than I wanted to see.
The third deer was shot with a nosler partition. Full pass through. Although the exit hole was about bullet diameter size (as someone else mentioned for the partition), Ray Charles could’ve followed the blood trail. Meat damage was minimal. Beyond happy with the partition and it’s performance. He ran about 70 yards before dropping. After gutting him I saw his heart was in 4 pieces. Some damn tough animals… if you shot me in the hand with a 308 I’d be on the ground. Shot this deer through the heart and he still had 70 yards in him.

cmatzek

FNG
For 0-100 yds in thick Midwest deer woods I've used a 308 with Federal Fusion 165 always had pass thru but a lot of times not great blood. I attributed that to the hearts being in pieces and not being able to pump blood out. Going to to see how the Winchester Deer season XP pattern might use them or the Norma whitetail 150s. I've seen blood trails from Normas that Stevie Wonder could follow in the rain

Bluefish

WKR
Going to try some 500g subsonic makers in 45-70 for just that scenario this year. Supposed to open up over 2” in diameter. recoil is pretty low and should be quiet with a can.

Where I hunt it's all thick stuff and 100 yards is a long shot. Regular ol' Remington Core-Lokt and Speer Hot-Cor bullets have always worked at short range for me.

Rifles were mostly .30-30, .243, .270 and .300 Savage calibers.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve killed probably 60ish whitetails in the 30-75 yard range still hunting the swampy woods of northern minnesota. Killed two does just last season at 30 and 50 yards. Hornady 129 Grain SST coming from my .260 into vitals is absolutely lethal.

The cool thing about the SST, ELDM, and ELDX is that at very long ranges they are also extremely lethal.

Swamp Fox

WKR
"Expansion" rather than "Penetration" in the advertising.

Three yards vs. 20 vs. 50 vs. 75 will make a difference, though, depending on the rifle/caliber/load.

You will have to learn your rifle/load/conditions.

There are two paths to go down: one gun that does everything you need, or a gun for every condition you could encounter.

Either way, It's A Trap!!!! --- LOL

Run away!

OIP.RsAyJGtkm_e9u1XblDwe2QAAAA

Ditt44

Lil-Rokslider
.308? 150 grain Remington Core-Lokt. Countless deer and seldom see them go more than 50 yards and many dropped at the shot or within yards depending on the angle I hit them. I can only think of one deer I've shot, out to maybe 125 yards, that was not a complete pass-thru.

jsnspck

FNG
Close range 308 shots that I’ve taken have been with Hornady SST bullets. Around 35-40 yard shots and the deer have a blood trail that usually last for 10 yards or so.

Fowl Play

WKR
Honestly, I have never seen a bullet not perform at close range. Choose your shots and make them count. I’m in the camp the bullet doesn’t matter under 100 yards. Shot location does. I regularly hunt with this older gentleman that uses a .22 hornet for neck shooting whitetails. He literally has 100’s of kills with that thing and has legitimately never had a deer take a step after the shot. I doubted and questioned him for years, thought he was irresponsible, but he consistently proves me wrong. (It’s a unique situation where he performs “doe management” for several wealthy landowners — all meat is donated)

A 130gr+ round on any of your typical whitetail calibers is more than enough. I don’t care what you have in the chamber.

If I had to choose, Remington core-loks are cheap.

Last edited: