Climber

Kularrow

WKR
Seems like with Saddles and Hang ons, climbers are getting a bad rap. I love my Summit Viper SD, I’ve done numerous dark to dark sits during the rut and stayed comfortable. Anyone else still rocking the climber?

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
I still grab my Lonewolf climber 95% of the time and have for the past 20 years. I have lightweight hang ons, sticks and a saddle but I am still more quiet, fast and efficient in the climber.

oldbay

FNG
Hard to beat rifle hunting out of a summit viper sd with a saddle. Few can convince me they are more accurate in their saddle past 75 yds. Im not talking about 30yd chip shots. I hunt 100% of bow season in my saddle. and 90% of rifle in my climber.

Don K

Lil-Rokslider
I havent found anything more comfortable than my Viper.

Macintosh

WKR
I’ve heard climbers can be more comfortable, and I guess there are some fairly light ones, but have never used one. My impression is that a climber requires a single-trunk tree without branches, is this accurate?

Aeast

Lil-Rokslider
Not at all, I can maneuver around branches fairly easily, especially if you have a saddle on.

Macintosh

WKR
How does that work, doesnt the stand itself fasten around the tree? Do you just tether yourself and hang while you unfasten to move around each branch? Its the main reason I never tried a climber, as most trees I end up in have 3, 4, 5 or more branches on the way up, sometimes more, and I couldNt wrap my head around a quick and easy way to pass all the branches.

plebe

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve heard climbers can be more comfortable, and I guess there are some fairly light ones, but have never used one. My impression is that a climber requires a single-trunk tree without branches, is this accurate?

There’s trees you can’t climb with a climber, sure. That goes for about any method. It’s not recommended but I’ve been passing limbs for decades with a climber. It’s at your own risk and best have plans if it goes sideways.

I got into saddle hunting to reduce bulk and weight some time ago and I have rope climbing systems and sticks, but I use my climbing platform almost exclusively on my out of state hunt each year and it’s been fantastic. If I could still get my climbers in deep like I used to, even better.

Yes they are, probably happy and satisfied so you don't hear much about them. Just about every hunter I know uses a climbing stand. They may not use it for every hunt but they mostly all have one to use when appropriate. I’m sure I’m not representative of all regions. I’m a Southeastern whitetail hunter. I’m a big boy and an old boy so my choice is a summit titan. My hunting buddy is old but a smaller man and he loves his lonewolf.

I spend up to 3 weeks at a time living in camp and hunting daily during the rut along with a few week hunts thru out the season. I need to feel safe and comfortable on long hunts. So I give up some mobility
For comfort. On my lease property its almost not possible to find a tree that a climber wont work in and that I can’t get an atv up to. So I’m not lugging it around.

Last edited:

Huntespo

FNG
Seems like with Saddles and Hang ons, climbers are getting a bad rap. I love my Summit Viper SD, I’ve done numerous dark to dark sits during the rut and stayed comfortable. Anyone else still rocking the climber?
I use the summit titan and let me tell you, it is by far the most comfortable climber I have sat in, the one down fall is that if you have a long trek to where you are hunting. It is definitely on the heavier side.
I really want to try saddle hunting this year, however just to get started with everything you need, especially up here in canada, your looking at $2k. That's a tough pill to swallow.

Huntespo

FNG
How does that work, doesnt the stand itself fasten around the tree? Do you just tether yourself and hang while you unfasten to move around each branch? Its the main reason I never tried a climber, as most trees I end up in have 3, 4, 5 or more branches on the way up, sometimes more, and I couldNt wrap my head around a quick and easy way to pass all the bR

How does that work, doesnt the stand itself fasten around the tree? Do you just tether yourself and hang while you unfasten to move around each branch? Its the main reason I never tried a climber, as most trees I end up in have 3, 4, 5 or more branches on the way up, sometimes more, and I couldNt wrap my head around a quick and easy way to pass all the branches.

Ideally you would want a tree that is straight up without too many branches, but you can always cut them on your way up. I will scout early enough so that I can prep potential trees that I would possibly be using in the fall, this way it's just a matter of climbing

You boys got more monkey in you than me if you can work a climber around branches. Top section I could manage but the bottom would be rough for me. That said I don't set a high bar.
Dang I didnt realize the cost of a good saddle set up was as high as Huntespo mentioned.

Huntespo

FNG
You boys got more monkey in you than me if you can work a climber around branches. Top section I could manage but the bottom would be rough for me. That said I don't set a high bar.
Dang I didnt realize the cost of a good saddle set up was as high as Huntespo mentioned.
Keep in mind, I live in canada, there is exchange rates duties and shipping applied. We don't have any dealers here.
There is a guy called the Canadian saddle hunter who deals with the main distributors in the states, he has a combo kit available but your still looking at 1300 plus taxes . Then if you want any added goodies the cost goes up

Keep in mind, I live in canada, there is exchange rates duties and shipping applied. We don't have any dealers here.
There is a guy called the Canadian saddle hunter who deals with the main distributors in the states, he has a combo kit available but your still looking at 1300 plus taxes . Then if you want any added goodies the cost goes up
Heck Huntspo I always just thought them saddle boys just couldn't afford a Titan. LOL.

Macintosh

WKR
Ideally you would want a tree that is straight up without too many branches, but you can always cut them on your way up. I will scout early enough so that I can prep potential trees that I would possibly be using in the fall, this way it's just a matter of climbing
Hmmm. Pruning isnt allowed on public here larger than 1” branches, and even if I were to ignore that I guess I dont feel like cutting that much even for pre-prepped trees. I wind up in hemlocks a lot which would often mean cutting 8-10 branches the diameter of my arm. I do hunt on-sight a lot too. Sounds like they are great in some areas though!

Zdub02

WKR
I mainly use a summit open shot. Have a saddle but am more comfortable for longer sits and more stable for shooting out of the climber. It's a pain to tote in and out on longer hikes but the in stand comfort is hard to beat.

Macintosh

WKR
…I really want to try saddle hunting this year, however just to get started with everything you need, especially up here in canada, your looking at $2k. That's a tough pill to swallow.
Thats ridiculous, it would not be at all a stretch to get into saddle hunting for 1/3 that price in the US, in USD. Find a friend in the US and have it shipped to them and visit to pick it up…you can take them out to a nice dinner, buy them an expensive bottle of scotch and fill up your gas tank, and still be way more than ahead.

IF you want to. This is a climber thread after all. 🤫