Climber or hang on with sticks for beginner?

@flathead#2 you didnt answer the question? I havent used a climber before, but curious on the details of your comparison, as it seems off to me. It makes a big difference what equipment you are using, so Id like to know what you are comparing to and some detail on using a climber. If you are comparing a top of the line climber to a $79.95 steel hang-on from Dicks, sure. But Im curious for some specificity on what you experienced, because what youre saying about a hang-on doesn't match my experience.

Easier, maybe I dont know. A stand and sticks is just a buckle strap, repeat as needed. Is a climber significantly easier? The one thing some people find tricky is getting a heavy stand initially mounted on the tree—but a light stand is way easier, and there are also several ways to mount the strap or a bracket first so the stand essentially just clips on to it. What did you find difficult?

More comfortable—this is the one advantage to a climber I see most people agree on.

Quicker—maybe…but like I said with even minimal practice with a hang-on, 10-15 min start to hunting is easy even if passing branches and being quiet, and if you get comfortable 5-7 min is very realistic most if the time. Is a climber really much faster if its not pre-set at the bottom of a straight tree?

Quieter—is highly dependent on the exact stand and sticks youre using, but a cast hang on and good sticks are quiet enough to set up pretty darn close to bedded deer. The only noise is if you are careless and bang your stuff together. What was it you found loud?

Less equipment—stand, sticks, harness and tether. It all straps together like a backpack for transport. Is a 2-piece climber with a harness and tether that much less? It may be fewer pieces I guess simply because you have a couple sticks, but Im curious what you found so different? A basic but good quality lighter stand and sticks will weigh about 9lb for the stand, and about 2lb per stick, including buckle straps, so call it 17lb, and as far as I know the rest is the same as a climber…and if you spend a bit more theres multiple ways to drop 5 or 6lb from that. Are climbers typically that much less weight or bulk?
Dude, use whatever you want.
I know what I prefer.

Luked

WKR
Never cared for the climber stands myself. Always used a lock on.
I Have a XOP in the shed that is a nice Cast Alum stand that I have had about 4 years and its never been put in a tree.
Just got to where I use my Saddle more now days.

Yoder

WKR
I still use both. It doesn't matter. I have a LW sit and climb. It's safe, easy to use and I love how it folds flat. It's not the most comfortable stand. I saw one in the classifieds here not long ago. It might still be there. For a lock on LW Alpha2. They got bought by Novix. Good stands and they aren't too crazy expensive. Sticks and a lock on take longer to setup and you need some practice with all the ropes. Good thing is you can use a bigger variety of trees. Where I hunt, one is as good as the other.

SkyHunter

FNG
I generally prefer a climber as I find it more comfortable than a lock on. But you could be very limited on tree selection as others have pointed out.

But I typically use a saddle more than the climber these days.

br459

FNG
I’m a sticks and lock on when it comes to bow hunting. I like the open shots with no worries of hitt the top of the climber. Now if I was using a climber I’d look at the open shot. Its really built for bow hunting

Maverick1

WKR
First year going bowhunting on public land and was wondering what styler tree stand is better for a beginner, climber or hang on with sticks? Any suggestions on brand would be great too. Thanks!
I have hunted with both a climber, hang on stand, and saddle. In most situations, the climbing sticks and hang on stand is what has worked best over the years. Sold all my climbers and use a hang on or saddle setup these days. The climber was always a compromise; it rarely put me in the right position.

With a climber, I found myself hunting for the "right tree". (Finding a tree that had no limbs, was straight, and very telephone-pole like). In many situations, the "right tree" was not necessarily in the "right spot".

With a hang on, I find it much easier to find the right sign, setup in the nearest tree (whatever configuration that may be - straight, crooked, leaning), and then hunting the SPOT.

A climber put me out of position many times.

A hang on lets me be in the right position most of the time.

I like a Summit Titan climber myself my buddy loves his Old man climbers. He is much smaller than me. I hunt in primarily pines. And I can pretty much drive a SxS to every tree. I feel safe in the larger stand and can pretty much sit all day comfortably if I cared to. I am not a beginner hunter more on the other end of the spectrum. So comfort and safety are a primary concern of mine.