Clamping tripod

CMF

WKR
We currently have a BOG Deathgrip for the kids to shoot off of, but it's too heavy for backcountry hunting. My son missed a good bull this year shooting the muzzy off a trigger stick and I think it would have went better if we had a clamping tripod like the deathgrip.
Has anyone put together a decent setup with the BOG ultralight head and some other tripod or found an entirely different solution?
The regular deathgrip is 8.5lbs. I'd like to at least cut that in half, but BOG's lightest carbon setup is still 6.5lb.

1729373892739.png

wyosteve

WKR
You might look at Gunstix. Not a clampdown style but quad sticks that offer an incredibly stable rest at about 30 inches and 2.5 pounds.

Reactions: CMF

Macintosh

WKR
What he said. I had a hog saddle, sold that thing as quick as I could when I figured out how much lighter an arca is. But really, shooting sticks are lighter and faster. Or just a light shooting bag on top of the tripod if you’ll have it anyway, and you can use a trekking pole or pack as a rear support.

Reactions: CMF

hunt1up

WKR
I too use a Dead Grip pod for my kids and it's heavy for hiking hunts. I've put a Pig Saddle clamp on a carbon glassing tripod and it word really well. Weight probably half as much as the BOG and much more compact. My daughter shot a cow off the Saddle tripod at 220 yards. Pretty solid and easy option.

I just rigged up a pic rail clamp on a ball head that seems like it'll work really well. That setup on a carbon tripod is extremely light and handy. Some of the arca setups will certainly do better, but this was cheap and easy and my guns already have pic rails on them.

Marshfly

WKR
I went with a tiny Pic rail and then a carbon Sunwayfoto tripod that does ARCA or Pic with the ball head. No way would I want a sloppy, slow clamp. The lever for the area/pic interface is crazy quick and easy.

The Sunwayfoto is pretty light also at 3# and allows standing shots if needed.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I use a bag off the top of a tripod for kids. Adult controls setting up the tripod, kid learns how to position himself behind tripod, both kneeling and standing. It’s worked great in many hunts, especially with new shooters. I have them practice with a .22 and cans in camp. Building the position, shooting, then repeat until they find the rhythm.

Use just a bag over the head, or consider the ultralight plate/bag we make. Using a plate/bag is very popular in NRL Hunter for speed and stability. I designed ours with a former match director for the Ghost Hunter match here in AZ.

Weighs less than the clamp heads, and much more versatile and quicker. Pics are of the bag on a rock, but the same principle applies.

6D65006C-AA7A-4907-9D69-7BB845F2698F.pngIMG_6011.jpegIMG_6009.jpeg3C57BB05-550A-4901-BD32-E89B709822E5.pngDE1C3325-797A-4C37-AD2B-760873695E6E.pngED9BBC3B-C802-4A7D-9D2E-98D44558D91A.png

hunt1up

WKR
Here is the cheap pic clamp and ball head I rigged up for my kids so I can carry a light tripod and hook up fast. $25 clamp and a Surui ball head.

8c67165ee93ed25067dc736860637058.jpg

OP
CMF

CMF

WKR
Here is the cheap pic clamp and ball head I rigged up for my kids so I can carry a light tripod and hook up fast. $25 clamp and a Surui ball head.
Do you have a link for the pic clamp and ball head? Which slik tripod are using and is it pretty sturdy? I currently have a silk sprint pro II

I think I will try the pic or arca on the tripod and a bog ultralight clamp on top of our trigger stik or silk tripod and see what works out better.

hunt1up

WKR
Do you have a link for the pic clamp and ball head? Which slik tripod are using and is it pretty sturdy? I currently have a silk sprint pro II

I think I will try the pic or arca on the tripod and a bog ultralight clamp on top of our trigger stik or silk tripod and see what works out better.
Clamp: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0CYH43KTT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1

Head: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G3JZKVM?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_fed_asin_title&th=1

I THINK the tripid is a Slik 633. I'll have to check. It's plenty sturdy. Worst case I can keep a hand on a tripod leg for a little extra support.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor

8c67165ee93ed25067dc736860637058.jpg
That’s a good solution. You can also switch over to ARCA as the rail and clamp.

I find that a plate closer to the balance point of the rifle can also be good in lots of situations.