Christensen Arms - bad first impression

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I hope I’m not the only one that dorks-out this much, but I am building a spreadsheet around the potential new rifles I am in the market for. I have added all the potential rifles that fit my criteria and I am going to add rifles that are introduced at Shot Show. Mostly it is just because I want to get this information out of my head so it’s not clouding my brain anymore. I have all the standard metrics for each rifle and added things like individual recoil energy and distance to 2,000 fps for a common bullet.

All of the manufacturers had the basic numbers I needed available on their websites. The Christensen Arms Mesa FFT made it on the list in a few calibers. I have heard less than stellar reviews of CA from multiple forums, but I wanted to give the rifle a chance on the spreadsheet because it has some of criteria I am looking for. However, they don’t list their magazine capacity, overall length and individual weights for their different action lengths on their website or 2023 catalog. Even though these seem like basic stats that their rifle buying demographic might be interested in.

I called their customer service line to inquiry about these items. The guy that took my call seemed annoyed with my basic questions and was not very friendly. He didn’t have the overall length of the rifle in the material at hand so he had to go measure one. Their website lists “Starting at 5.5 lbs” but doesn’t list the individual rifle weights for their long action and longer barreled chamberings. The customer service representatives did not have the exact weights either and he just told me to, “just add two or three ounces“ to the weight for those chamberings. He said that they use a short and standard actions for the chamberings I was asking about but then gave me overall lengths that were two inches different, which only accounted for the 2” difference in barrel length. I was going to try and press him for exact measurements that accounted for the different action length but at this point he was getting a little condescending.

I had heard internet rumors that CA had fixed some of their QC issues so I wanted to give them a chance a put them on my potential rifles list. However, this was not a good first impression and it did not strike me as a company that is trying to solve their customer service image issues.

OP
DisplacedHusky

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
You’re totally right Encore. One phone call shouldn’t be a deal breaker and I’m not knocking them off the list of options yet. But when it comes time to decide on a rifle, that interaction will always come to mind. I have spoken to Hornady, Vortex and Bergara customer service for various reasons in the past few years and all were positive experiences. Good customer service won’t make up for a bad product and vice versa, but I’m a potential new customer so that is my only interaction with the company so far and it wasn’t positive.

I have a CA Ridgeline FFT TI in 308 win and its a fine rifle. I see no issues with it and it shoots 1/2" 5 shot groups and its not even broken in yet. Im going to buy another one in 7PRC. These are $3400 rifles that weigh 4.8lbs and are quality guns in my opinion.

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
My Ridgeline 6.5prc shoots lights out, even with factory 143eldx.

No complaints on mine.

Bought my sin a 7mag mesa, my brother has a 7/08 mesa.

Both shoot lights out

I have a ridgeline 300 win mag, a ridgeline fft 300 prc, a mpr 6.5 cm, a 5five6. They all shoot great with no issues. Not sure of the weights

Hnthrdr

WKR
Have a 6.5 CM and a shorty .308, both shoot great for me. No complaints, although my tikkas do what they do, with a little extra weight and a smoother bolt for about 1/2 price… although after seeing some of what they wasn’t for the new tikka’s with a shorter threaded barrel I can grab a CA Mesa fft for the same or less

Last edited:

TaperPin

WKR
You’re totally right Encore. One phone call shouldn’t be a deal breaker and I’m not knocking them off the list of options yet. But when it comes time to decide on a rifle, that interaction will always come to mind. I have spoken to Hornady, Vortex and Bergara customer service for various reasons in the past few years and all were positive experiences. Good customer service won’t make up for a bad product and vice versa, but I’m a potential new customer so that is my only interaction with the company so far and it wasn’t positive.
My take on Christensen is they are trying to put minimum dimension chambers on a rifle sold to joe public. Normally with custom barrels, minimum sized chambers are one of the good things that helps them shoot better. Custom barrels and really anything with a minimum chamber have to be cleaned better than an old Winchester, Remington, Savage, Tikka or Ruger.

I picked up a mesa barrel for dirt nothing from someone who doesn’t like to clean and I’m sure accuracy went south. The machining and chamber are very very good - better than any mass produced barrel I’ve ever looked at. Just so everyone knows - if you have a Christensen barrel that shot lights out for the first 200 rounds, you don’t like to clean out carbon, and now it doesn’t, I’ll gladly pay scrap price! These fit my Remington switch barrel gun quite well. Eventually I’ll have Mesa barrels in every caliber they sell.

neverquit

WKR
I have a 300wm ridge line that shoots hole in hole.

Same as 5 other people in my circle.

If I lost it today I’d buy another tomorrow

Hnthrdr

WKR
Yeah, 2 CA… so far both shoot lights out. Zero issues, thinking about getting another

My take on Christensen is they are trying to put minimum dimension chambers on a rifle sold to joe public. Normally with custom barrels, minimum sized chambers are one of the good things that helps them shoot better. Custom barrels and really anything with a minimum chamber have to be cleaned better than an old Winchester, Remington, Savage, Tikka or Ruger.

I picked up a mesa barrel for dirt nothing from someone who doesn’t like to clean and I’m sure accuracy went south. The machining and chamber are very very good - better than any mass produced barrel I’ve ever looked at. Just so everyone knows - if you have a Christensen barrel that shot lights out for the first 200 rounds, you don’t like to clean out carbon, and now it doesn’t, I’ll gladly pay scrap price! These fit my Remington switch barrel gun quite well. Eventually I’ll have Mesa barrels in every caliber they sell.
I have bought 2 Christensen carbon barrels this way. I believe the cleaning was a culprit in both situations since my original.308 barrel needs regular cleaning. It can be annoying but all three barrels shoot effortlessly with regular cleaning intervals. I’m not far from trying out one of these Tikkas that can go a 1000 rounds without cleaning but so far in my mediocre experience I’ve yet to come across a rifle that didn’t need cleaned to stay at its best. I’m pretty cheap though! The Christensen is easily the most expensive rifle I own.

TaperPin

WKR
I have bought 2 Christensen carbon barrels this way. I believe the cleaning was a culprit in both situations since my original.308 barrel needs regular cleaning. It can be annoying but all three barrels shoot effortlessly with regular cleaning intervals. I’m not far from trying out one of these Tikkas that can go a 1000 rounds without cleaning but so far in my mediocre experience I’ve yet to come across a rifle that didn’t need cleaned to stay at its best. I’m pretty cheap though! The Christensen is easily the most expensive rifle I own.
The more I handle a Tikka the more I like them, other than the plastic parts, but good golly the used prices are as much as a new one. Lol

I heard a story of someone quite experienced with barrel cleaning recently running into a carboned up barrel that didn’t come clean even with a lot of soaking and a lot of brushing. I’m curious which powder the gun was burning. Maybe some of the new powders have an ingredient that is causing carbon that’s harder than normal to remove. IDK

There is a used Christensen Mesa in new condition for $800 at Scheels, but it’s in 28 Nosler so it hasn’t jumped off the rack, but that seems like an awfully good deal for someone.

VernAK

WKR
I don't own nor want to own firearms that don't have a long and successful history. All of mine are based on Mauser type actions except for the two fieldcrafts. Hunts cost a pile today and I just don't want to have to experience a rifle with performance issues not to mention bear problems.

Hunt30

Lil-Rokslider
You’re way overthinking it.

And like others have stated, I’ve had several Christensen rifles and all have been great guns. Also have many friends with Christensen rifles with similar results. Most current rifle manufacturers produce accurate rifles.

I own a BA tactical in a 338 Lapua and it’s been a great fun and Christensen has had great customer service. I would buy another CA in a heartbeat and probably will be adding a 7mm Ridgeline in the next couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both of my CAs are shooters. The first one had to go back to the factory.

If I were you, I would not buy one if I were treated poorly.

I own a BA tactical in a 338 Lapua and it’s been a great fun and Christensen has had great customer service. I would buy another CA in a heartbeat and probably will be adding a 7mm Ridgeline in the next couple years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This was my experience as well.