Choosing a hunting unit or area

Mike3291

FNG
I know the answer to this may differ between the U.S. and Canada. In Alberta, we don’t have the same access to information regarding age, class, density etc. of elk for example. We do have access to hunter harvest surveys each year. My question is, how do you decide what unit or area you want to hunt? Does it depend on travel distance? Is there certain topography you prefer or are more comfortable with? Do you choose places with more elk but more hunting pressure or areas with less elk and less pressure? Do you look for weather patterns in those areas and does that affect your decision? I would be interested in answers for any species and firearm but my preference is for archery season elk. Thanks everybody

jonnyviceroy

Lil-Rokslider
For me personally, and this may not be the answer you’re looking for, but it ultimately lends itself to what experience I’m looking for. I find that my route for picking the unit depends vastly on terrain just because I know that will affect my hunting style, and to be honest, I think we all have scenic areas that we prefer the looks of some more than others. Or feel that we are more effective as hunters in certain kinds of topography. Fortunately, here in the west, there’s many places where we can pick up just about any of the units and with a proper effort applied we can get it out. So I find that I don’t read too far into that and instead focus on to rain and units known to be slightly less popular but that’s me looking for an experience more than anything. It paid off last year for otc archery elk on public land!0E096CEB-3A1D-49B5-8344-AD0E8946481A.jpeg

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I think balancing harvests with pressure is important to consider. I would rather hunt a unit with more harvests personally. You can get away from people by hunting weekdays or after opening day/week. If I am hunting elk I try to avoid really steep terrains since that will be very difficult to pack one out of. I think harvest success is also very important. If the success percentage is really low I will cross that off

WKR
Places physically hard to hunt due to topography and cover - steep, thick, “hidey holes.” That will also make for a physically hard pack out.

That’s in the early season. Late season cows? Totally different approach.

Cowbell

WKR
For whatever reason, my best animals have come from units that look terrible on paper....