Choosing a bullet.

Trying to decide on a bullet to shoot for elk, and hopefully one day if Utah allows me the privelege of a moose.
I shoot a Christensen 7mag. So far I have been shooting ELDX and they group well. But I keep hearing horror stories of short range issues. I hunt in an area where the possibility of shooting under a hundred in dark timber is as good as 450 in wide open space.
I've been interested in trying the accubond, but it seems getting them is similar to a moose tag chance. I don't reload so this will be about choosing the best off the shelf.

Thanks.

Midway has Barnes VOR-TX with the 150 TTSX in stock. Get 3 boxes. They will most likely be from the same manufacturing lot. This is helpful as new ammo bought years apart is not the same from box to box. Sight in with however many it takes (not many) and the remaining 2+ boxes will let you verify zero with a few shots each year and last well into the rest of your hunting life in the field. Practice with less expensive ammo to your hearts content. 30 years of using Barnes monos for me. TTSX is hard to improve upon and will do everything you ask of it based on your post from any angle you can put the bullet on for a path to the vitals.

OP
E
Midway has Barnes VOR-TX with the 150 TTSX in stock. Get 3 boxes. They will most likely be from the same manufacturing lot. This is helpful as new ammo bought years apart is not the same from box to box. Sight in with however many it takes (not many) and the remaining 2+ boxes will let you verify zero with a few shots each year and last well into the rest of your hunting life in the field. Practice with less expensive ammo to your hearts content. 30 years of using Barnes monos for me. TTSX is hard to improve upon and will do everything you ask of it based on your post from any angle you can put the bullet on for a path to the vitals.
Thank you

I expect a 7mm RM should definitely have enough velocity to open up those monometal bullets at distances a standard cartridge wouldn’t.

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
Great advice so far. IME you need to see what your rifle likes. Some rifles shoot most ammo well. Some are real picky.

I’m a huge fan of the partition. They shoot well and do the job on elk and moose.

I believe that bullet selection is two fold. The first issue is if or how your rifle likes it. With that is how the bullet reacts at varius distances. I have had a couple that were good at close range but would become unstable at beyond 150-200. Consequently when I work up a load, I test them for the distances I expect to shoot.

The second issue is how the bullet reacts in the animal. I look at the wound channel, how much bloodshot, fragmentation, and anything I can observe. Since you only get to do this once or twice a year, it might take a few years to work up a pattern.

I have had at least one bullet that was very good for a number of years but at some point things changed and the in body performance degenerated.

A totally unpredictable issue that I never would have anticipated is where very dependable companies that decide to fix things that aren't broke and leave you stranded with their new inventions. I have found myself having to maintain a sizable inventory of bullets I like to counter the instability of companies and supply issues. At any time your company of choice could be bought out and leave you stranded.

For me it has taken a number of years to find what works consistantly and a sizable investment in time and money. To be forced into re-inventing the wheel, I find irritating.

For the chronic shooter it is likely no big deal but my purpose is to have a supply of predictable rounds that help gather my winters meat each year. I only wish companies would announce their intent to elimonate or change bullets so that we could stock up for my lifetime expectations.

Fuenstock

FNG
I’ve had good luck with hornady outfitter and Barnes Lrx factory rounds.
You do need to see which your rifle likes better.
I’ve shot the outfitter and Lrx out of 2 rifles and 1 liked the outfitter and 1 liked the Lrx.

NK Hunter

FNG
For a step above Barnes, if you don't mind the price, the Copper Rose is a good option. Usually better accuracy and higher velocities in the same weight. Very good terminal performance.

Or if you have enough twist:
7mm Rem Mag 26 inch saami chamber 160 gr Copper Rose - 3,125 fps

S-3 ranch

WKR
elk , my gun loved 180 federal classic, I got a chance to hunt on a private land hunt, and the guide asked me what I was shooting, he said those aren’t good for elk and insisted that I bring some premium grade bullets
I got an empty box of Federal premium from my uncle and filled it with the hornaday interlock classic, and one shot later 1. Giant bull was DRT
I don’t think it really matters once you are @ 7mm +
remington cor-lok and Winchester super X have killed and will kill truck loads of elk , nilgai, aoudad, ect .IMG_0059.jpegIMG_0058.jpegIMG_0197.jpeg

Bkottke35

WKR
It’s really up to you and what your gun likes. I shoot a lot of Barnes bullets (ttsx and LRX) but a couple of my rifles don’t shoot them well. In my 7 mag I found the federal 155 terminal ascents works well, never killed an elk with them yet. The 160 federal trophy bonded tip shoots just a bit better in my gun. Hard to find any of them in stores right now still.

For a step above Barnes, if you don't mind the price, the Copper Rose is a good option. Usually better accuracy and higher velocities in the same weight. Very good terminal performance.

Or if you have enough twist:
7mm Rem Mag 26 inch saami chamber 160 gr Copper Rose - 3,125 fps
I’m also a fan of copper solids. I use Badlands precision bulldozer II’s which are a similar design, with good BC’s for copper solids.

NK Hunter

FNG
I’m also a fan of copper solids. I use Badlands precision bulldozer II’s which are a similar design, with good BC’s for copper solids.
I use them in one of my rifles. I like the flight ballistics, but not quite as satisfied with the terminal performance at my high impact velocities. Have used others that held up better and gave more consistent on-game results. 3k and under, I think they work very well. Maybe a little more finicky to load.

In my 7RM I shoot 162gr ELD-M bullets. Since switching to them in 2021 I have killed a mule deer buck (210 yards), a cow elk (505 yards), and a bull elk (505 yards). All of them were one shot kills and they were dead and on the ground in seconds. The cow went the furthest 40 yards, she ran 20 then tripped and slid down the mountain 20 yards and didn't get back up.

Prior to switching I was using 140gr Barnes TTSX bullets. I used them for years and killed several animals. I felt that the performance wasn't the greatest but animals died so they did their job. I decided to make a change and I am happy with my choice.

Marble

WKR
Trying to decide on a bullet to shoot for elk, and hopefully one day if Utah allows me the privelege of a moose.
I shoot a Christensen 7mag. So far I have been shooting ELDX and they group well. But I keep hearing horror stories of short range issues. I hunt in an area where the possibility of shooting under a hundred in dark timber is as good as 450 in wide open space.
I've been interested in trying the accubond, but it seems getting them is similar to a moose tag chance. I don't reload so this will be about choosing the best off the shelf.

Thanks.
I've killed lots of bulls with a 7 mag, in the timber, under 100 yards. I shot the 150 grain scirroco @3200 fps. I had great performance at all ranges.

I've also killed maybe 5 or 6 bulls with my 300wm under 100 yards. That bullet is the Nosler AB flying at 3100 fps. It killed the bulls just fine.

High velocity bullets hitting an animal at close range can break them apart. It's just happens. I won't go into great detail on why.

But that didn't take away their ability to kill.

I don't have any experience with the ELDx and killing stuff. From what I hear they are great. If it shoots well, shoot it.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

sambo3006

FNG
Another vote for copper bullets of some form or other. I have used Barnes X, TTSX, and Hornady GMX. While I don't tend to get as impressive wound channels as some cup and core bullets, they all have exhibited excellent penetration, even when hitting heavy bone. The only one that wasn't a pass through was a frontal shot on a decent sized whitetail doe. I recovered the 150 gr .30 cal GMX lodged against the skin on the back of her ham, mushroomed just like the advertisement pictures.

My oldest son killed an elk at 660 yards and my younger son killed one at 600 yards with 155 grain Terminal Ascent 7 mm mags. We have the 660 yard on video. If I knew how to upload I would!!!!

Devin

FNG
I'm in Utah and also shoot a 7mag. I shoot a tikka and browning. They both shoot Partitions and Accubonds well. I took an elk with the 160gr Partition in 2021 at 120 yards and it performed beautifully.

Chamon

FNG

Thanks.
Berger VLD hunting, Nosler Accubond, and good shot placement!

kcm2

WKR
I presume when someone asks about an elk bullet that the shooter is not a 600 plus yard shooter. WIth that in mind, partitions, copper bullets and accubonds are almost 100% reliable under 500 yards. If you're a 1000 yard elk shooter, good for you. But I'm getting closer and limiting my bullet choice to the stuff that works for me. I say this after seeing about 100 elk go down, and a lot of bullets recovered. YMMV.