Chest rig bino harness

CJC

FNG
Guys I’m looking for photos of how you’re running your chest rig bino harness over a chest rig holster like the gun fighters inc rig. I know everyone says they’re doing it. I’ve seen a couple photos where the holster is quite a bit lower than the bino harness but it just seems uncomfortable and cumbersome. Some photos would be awesome.

Westy

FNG
Had my kydex guy rivet right to my eberlestock scout. I hunted with the top "holster" and liked it...but since have added a TLR and the trigger guard setup I was using wouldn't work anymore.

Additionally, for ease of draw, I prefer the side draw vs top draw.

Attachments

• signal-2019-08-05-120358.jpg
    signal-2019-08-05-120358.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 143

Pgohil

WKR
Had my kydex guy rivet right to my eberlestock scout. I hunted with the top "holster" and liked it...but since have added a TLR and the trigger guard setup I was using wouldn't work anymore.

Additionally, for ease of draw, I prefer the side draw vs top draw.
Love this idea!!! I am gonna give it a go on my outdoor vision harness and xd45.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Westy

FNG
Ya, worked out well. Fundamentally, I never take the harness off while in the field, so it's always available. I've had holsters on the belt of my packs, but that only works of your pack is on.

hayesplow

Lil-Rokslider
I've tried several of these rigs. Recently I've been using the badlands.

Pros:

I love how tight it holds the binos to the chest. No elastic. Firm and no bouncing!

I love the extra space for other things. Calls, cell phone, license, whatever.

I love that the system is completely sealed. No snow or dirt gets in.

Cons:

Somewhat bulky. It doesnt really bother me, and I've used it with the MR crew cab and the badlands hypervent, but the straps and the back mini-pack might bother some.

The magnetic closure. This is a love/hate thing. I love the ease of use, but it's noisy when closed. It makes an audible snap unless you slowly and deliberately close it. The snap of the magnet closing ruined one stalk on a big muley for me this year. The deer were fine with the breaking branches and crunching leaves, and when that bino magnet slammed shut, the deer blew out.

The lanyards that connect the bino to the chest pack. They are too small. I'm looking to rig something different in it. I'd like to come up with a quick swap system for my different binos using small clips of some kind. Anybody have any suggestions? The ones I've found at REI and such are all too big.

Overall: The best one out yet, but still not perfect. We're getting closer, though.

Vandy321

WKR
Guys I’m looking for photos of how you’re running your chest rig bino harness over a chest rig holster like the gun fighters inc rig. I know everyone says they’re doing it. I’ve seen a couple photos where the holster is quite a bit lower than the bino harness but it just seems uncomfortable and cumbersome. Some photos would be awesome.

I have a .454 in a Kenai that sits just below the AGC bino pouch riding high, just ordered another Kenai for a 9mm intending to wear it the same. It is neither uncomfortable, nor cumbersome. The Kenai sits above my pack waist belt. I tried this all with the Kenai behind the KUIU and the AGC both and drawing out the side from between the straps of the bino harness...it was a PITA to draw as well as the hard kydex didnt feel great for long periods of time pressed up against my sternum.

Last edited:
Reactions: CJC
Had the older Muley freak harness . It was horrible and cutting into the back of my neck. The new one looks of there's looks perfect . I decided to try the Apls . I have 2 of there packs and have not had one issue . So I figured I would give it a try . As soon as I put it on it fit perfect . Fingers crossed

Pgohil

WKR
Finally got mine made. It's an outdoor vision bino harness with my XD 45 riding behind it with an upward cant. This is only my second kydex project and I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Has excellent retention, yet draws very easy.
e799c93926b25fcd9f1da7405b80d0f4.jpg
7288555abfef1f0cad1afe135f9701dc.jpg
33045c92b8d90d718b9ecf4847101382.jpg

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
Finally got mine made. It's an outdoor vision bino harness with my XD 45 riding behind it with an upward cant. This is only my second kydex project and I am very pleased with the way it turned out. Has excellent retention, yet draws very easy.
e799c93926b25fcd9f1da7405b80d0f4.jpg
7288555abfef1f0cad1afe135f9701dc.jpg
33045c92b8d90d718b9ecf4847101382.jpg

This is exactly what was looking to do. Thanks for the inspiration.

teesquare

FNG
How...uncomfortable is that hard plastic when biting into your chest? :) I would be temptmpted to add a layer of mousepad neoprene rubber ( the kind with fabric glued to it) - via contact cement between the holster and the neoprene. Probably the waterbed cement...would not eat into the neoprene rubber.....

Coach529

Lil-Rokslider
How...uncomfortable is that hard plastic when biting into your chest? :) I would be temptmpted to add a layer of mousepad neoprene rubber ( the kind with fabric glued to it) - via contact cement between the holster and the neoprene. Probably the waterbed cement...would not eat into the neoprene rubber.....

That was one question I had, especially early season when wearing thin layers.

Pgohil

WKR
I just finished it up this morning so I don't have a good report yet. I plan on shooting this evening and always wear it while I shoot so that should give some indications. However for right now it does not seem to be an issue at all. I did lengthen the harness a bit to accommodate the extra depth.

Pgohil

WKR
I know the neoprene sounds like a great idea but I see two problems with it. Number one it will make the harness that much thicker and stick out further from your body. Number two it's going to sweat you even worse.

Just my thoughts

teesquare

FNG
Yep...the neoprene may add more heat...I guess your trade bruising and chafing for that. But - we are talking about a high density rubber that is only 1/4" thick. That should not be noticeable. My gut says that the chest rig is just not going to be comfy in warm weather no matter what.
Has anyone considered mounting a Serpa style holster with active retention....muzzle up - and attached to the shoulder strap...? This would be a cross draw scenario.

Have you looked into the Blacks Creek Raptor? It's a combo holster/bino case. I've been using one since this spring and have been happy with it.

Pgohil

WKR
Wore it for 30 min shooting this evening. Only thing I could notice was the weight. No discomfort at all. Plan on a training hike this weekend and will test it out and report back.
4b9329ee14b5266370c6dff0416ab24a.jpg
b58f1a926c19cc9bf1d4c688c2eafce3.jpg
1cf8dbc16d9d3aebbdb3d403819386f5.jpg