Check them vehicles before season

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
Leaving out September 3rd for the entire month. Many miles gonna be put on the truck so decided to go ahead and get my annual August inspection out of the way. BOTH front axle U-Joints had a bit of play. No noise or anything weird to indicate so, only knew by crawling under and checking. Oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, changed every u joint even though some were unneeded, flushed transfer case, greased yoke, new brakes, new air filter, front and rear diff fluid change, rotated tires, changed washer fluid to something more cold weather tolerant, inspecting belt andradiator hoses, tested coolant, ball joints, flushed transmission, engaged transfer case to make sure everything is up to par.

Check everything even if you think it's good to go. Hate to see a season cut short by vehicle problems. Have a safe season!

Attachments

• 20240810_184113.jpg
    20240810_184113.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
I have been doing truck work all winter. That truck better not let me down.

Thanks for the reminder and good luck!

OP
bucksnbirds

bucksnbirds

Lil-Rokslider
I have been doing truck work all winter. That truck better not let me down.

Thanks for the reminder and good luck!
Last season, brake booster went out. Year before U joint went out on front driveline on the mountain. Had to rebuild the transfer case two days before leaving last year. Every year it's something else. Been time to get a new truck for a few years, buy not in this market!

asilmas

FNG
Leaving out September 3rd for the entire month. Many miles gonna be put on the truck so decided to go ahead and get my annual August inspection out of the way. BOTH front axle U-Joints had a bit of play. No noise or anything weird to indicate so, only knew by crawling under and checking. Oil change, oil filter, fuel filter, changed every u joint even though some were unneeded, flushed transfer case, greased yoke, new brakes, new air filter, front and rear diff fluid change, rotated tires, changed washer fluid to something more cold weather tolerant, inspecting belt andradiator hoses, tested coolant, ball joints, flushed transmission, engaged transfer case to make sure everything is up to par.

Check everything even if you think it's good to go. Hate to see a season cut short by vehicle problems. Have a safe season!

asilmas

FNG
Yep, totally agree. Always wanna be prepared out there. Also a good idea to have a sat phone (like Garmin inreach) of some kind if ya get stranded. We bought one a few years ago and it definitely gives ya peace of mind when you're in the middle of nowhere.

Last season, brake booster went out. Year before U joint went out on front driveline on the mountain. Had to rebuild the transfer case two days before leaving last year. Every year it's something else. Been time to get a new truck for a few years, buy not in this market!
The bow has been my problem. I had an issue 3 years ago that cost me a chance to arrow a great bull.

I now work on my own bow and have a backup. The lessons we learn.

PaleAiles

FNG
last time I got a flat I went to put on my spare and found that it was also flat. Not helpful. Great reminder to double check your vehicle!

Marble

WKR
I'll also add to check your trailers prior to season. Tires rot, and lights and wiring go bad. Brakes sometimes go bad from sitting, etc.

Then the axles. Not a bad idea if you haven't serviced them in a while to get it done either by yourself or pay someone. Better than then losing a wheel halfway to your destination and getting delayed by days....been there...

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Already did all the maintenance on the Tundra.

Serpentine belt
Idler pulley
Tensioner pulley
Both differentials
Transfer case
Transmission
Greased driveline
Rotated tires
Checked spare
Changed oil

Tires and brakes were brand new last year
Trailer bearings will get done again next year.

huntnful

WKR
I'll also add to check your trailers prior to season. Tires rot, and lights and wiring go bad. Brakes sometimes go bad from sitting, etc.

Then the axles. Not a bad idea if you haven't serviced them in a while to get it done either by yourself or pay someone. Better than then losing a wheel halfway to your destination and getting delayed by days....been there...

Had wheel bearings go out on a trailer due solely to my lack of maintenance since it was “brand new” in my mind, not really realizing I’d already put 6,000 miles on the trailer prior to that trip. It was a total cluster F and ended up costing about $1500 after replacing the whole Axel and doing most of the labor ourselves in an empty Camping World bay hahaha. Live and learn.

Marble

WKR
Had wheel bearings go out on a trailer due solely to my lack of maintenance since it was “brand new” in my mind, not really realizing I’d already put 6,000 miles on the trailer prior to that trip. It was a total cluster F and ended up costing about $1500 after replacing the whole Axel and doing most of the labor ourselves in an empty Camping World bay hahaha. Live and learn.
Mine happened to a trailer that wasn't mine. We were in Mexico, guerro negro, when it happened. Storry is too long to tell. But my wheel went right on past me, bouncing across the desert, while doing about 65. Delayed us 2 days, and it still wasn't fixed. Total nightmare

dtrkyman

WKR
After a small lift and larger tires make sure your jack still gets you off the ground! I had to get creative a couple years ago!

Cheap tire pump and plug kit saved me twice.

I keep the serpentine belt I removed as a spare and never forget the roll of duct tape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
If you have a spare key hidden/attached to your vehicle, make sure its still there. I discovered I had locked my keys in my truck yesterday morning at 6:15 AM. No big deal, I have a spare in a magnetic box tucked aaye under the frame only it wasn't there. Must have gotten thrown off on rough road somewhere. I used to check it from time to time and it was always reliably there. Hadn't checked it since winter.