Cheap suppressor wrap

Geewhiz

WKR
looks itchy. Also they make metal zip ties for header wrap so they don't melt.

Somewhere I saw somebody used a silicone baking sheet that was like 1/8 inch thick and wrapped that around their can. I'd like to try that.

Axlrod

WKR
For $25 I bought one from Weka. It is long enough to make 2 for my Scythe Ti. I wrapped it with vet wrap. It is a couple % of the total cost of my gun/suppressor/scope/other gear. :)

OP
M

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
It doesn't get warm enough to bother the plastic zipties.

Several hundred rounds through it , no issues.

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
What exactly constitutes a "proper" one?
Anything along the lines of a Cole-Tac suppressor cover. They are a bit expensive but worth it.

Personally when shooting a hunting rifle, even practicing and shooting 50 or more rounds, I don't see the need for a suppressor wrap. The wraps do 2 things basically. Limit heat mirage and burn protection. I have multiple suppressors for my various AR's and definitely need covers for them. I've never had any heat issues with a suppressor when shooting my hunting rifles.

WKR
Everything is a trade-off. If you want to save weight and remove a cover when hunting, it's probably easier than cutting and re-wrapping when you put it back on. Plus, when mine get hot, I can slide the cover off so it cools faster.

I've used those wraps on exhaust and I'd never feel comfortable grabbing it bare hand when hot like I do my covers. But if it works for you, maybe someone else will like it, too. I've actually thought about trying this with some extra I have lying around, so I'm glad to see it works.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
Anything along the lines of a Cole-Tac suppressor cover. They are a bit expensive but worth it.

Personally when shooting a hunting rifle, even practicing and shooting 50 or more rounds, I don't see the need for a suppressor wrap. The wraps do 2 things basically. Limit heat mirage and burn protection. I have multiple suppressors for my various AR's and definitely need covers for them. I've never had any heat issues with a suppressor when shooting my hunting rifles.

It also depends on your cartridge and suppressor materials.

I shot an entire 2-day PRS match (~200 rounds) without using a suppressor wrap. Worked just fine. However, I was using a 6BRA.

kthomas

Lil-Rokslider
The wraps do 2 things basically. Limit heat mirage and burn protection.

That's exactly what my muffler wrap does.

I'm sorry, I'm failing to see what constitutes "proper".

Hey, if it works for you, then it works.

I think I was the first person who used the term "proper" in this thread, so I'll expand on what I meant by that.

Suppressor wraps are typically designed to be easy to put on and easy to remove. Suppressors heat up pretty rapidly (especially when using larger cartridges), so it becomes imperative to remove the wrap to allow the suppressor to cool down in some applications. These suppressor wraps are also built for different rates of fire - some for lesser firing schedules (like precision rifle work) and some that can handle up to full auto applications (and are designed from materials to withstand that).

I'm not going to say that your suppressor wrap won't work for you or isn't "proper". However, based on its design its use is pretty limited. It's not easily removable to allow the suppressor to cool down. The zip ties won't handle much heat, and will melt under any firing schedule that's remotely stressful. Muffler wraps are also typically made out of fiberglass, so handling that wrap without gloves is probably not fun.

But if it works for you, then who am I to say that it doesn't work or isn't "proper" for your specific application.

Antares

WKR
Somewhere I saw somebody used a silicone baking sheet that was like 1/8 inch thick and wrapped that around their can. I'd like to try that.

Ooh. I like this idea. I’m gonna give that a try. Layer of silicon baking sheet, held down with a layer of silicon tape, and a layer of vet wrap over the top for grip and protection.

OP
M

mt terry d

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
It's on a bolt gun.
I"ve run ten at a time thru it without issue.
Several hundred in a day.
It never gets more than warm to the touch so the zipties are at no risk.
I don't know why I'd ever need to remove it.

Just thought it would be "proper" to put this in the DIY forum
;)

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
Hey if it works for you then roll with it. Don’t worry about what anyone may say. Actually I don’t think many people would even think of what you did so Koodoos to you

feanor

WKR
Ooh. I like this idea. I’m gonna give that a try. Layer of silicon baking sheet, held down with a layer of silicon tape, and a layer of vet wrap over the top for grip and protection.
Make sure to bake some chocolate chip cookies before and then wrap it up. Delicious!