Cheap Packable Rain Gear

a3dhunter

WKR
Dotman, where will you be hunting?

IMO for most of the western mountains you won't need that much and it is double the weight of the Ultra space rain jacket, which in 16 days of hunting the archery season in Colorado I only put on 3 times last year.
Maybe for some there is a reason to have this, but not from what I've seen.

D

david long

Cabela's Space Rain Gear.......I have used it for many years. Yes, it is thin, but man, it is PACKABLE and LIGHT!

littlebuf

Banned
i just orderd one of these jackets.i dont wear rain pants and to tell you the truth it takes a lot to get me to put on a rain jacket ,im a western washington hunter and what we call a little rain would make some start building a ark.my only concern is how "packable"this coat will be.if its to bulky ill exchange it for another one,but really its for the extra nasty stuff.rember not all good gear has to come in camo,in fact some of the best doesnt

http://www.columbia.com/Men’s-PFG-Supercell™-Jacket/FM2015,default,pd.html#

Instead of dropping the coin on Chugach by listening to the guys who hunt in CO saying it doesn't rain that much... I opted for gore tex pac lite gear. Got it off camofire for cheap, and the stuff will be way more durable than space rain. Granted I'll be carrying 2 lbs of rain gear, but I'd rather make sure it works and it will double duty for turkey season!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Dotman, where will you be hunting?

IMO for most of the western mountains you won't need that much and it is double the weight of the Ultra space rain jacket, which in 16 days of hunting the archery season in Colorado I only put on 3 times last year.
Maybe for some there is a reason to have this, but not from what I've seen.

That's the issue i have, i hunt southern CO and rain hasn't stopped me yet but i do know that it can pour rain for a day straight just doesn't happen that often. I ended up order the or stuff, i can use it at KSU football games and spring hiking here in KC where it seems to only rain n the weekends all spring.

B

bearguide

space rain / light , good in dry climates where it does not rain on the inside

Hoytnut

FNG
I have had good success with Marmot Precip. Its cheap, packs fairly well and will handle those late summer Colorado high country deluges. It also comes in a variety of colors.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member

tangsrud

FNG
The problem is paclite is not very breathable.

I have this jacket and it really breathes. It is very inexpensive, for an eVent fabric jacket. It is also quite durable (fully 3 layer), and a hair lighter than the OR foray:

http://www.rei.com/product/826021/rei-kimtah-rain-jacket-mens

The only really hunting friendly color is black that is what I have.

Dotman-

Paclite is the same GORE-TEX product that is on Sitka's Downpour and Stormfront products. I think that you will be very satisfied with your choice for Colorado hunting. I lent my Sitka Stormfront Paclite gear to my dad for his Alaska hunt last year and he loved it! Not one complaint about breathability and he wore it every day while on his caribou hunt. His experience was much better that a previous Alaska hunt we did back in 2008 where we were not wearing a GORE-TEX product and were soaked for days.
FYI... If your not sitisfied with the GORE-TEX product, GORE-TEX will refund your money.
http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Sate...nt_land_c/FabricTechnologiesChapterOneLanding
Full disclosure: I am a GORE product tester.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
tangsrud,

I am also a Gore product tester ... they just don't know it. Luckily Patagonia already took care of me on my Super Cell jacket (paclite fabric). I got swamped with persperation in that jacket on several occasions. My hunting buddy has got drenched (from the inside) in his Sitka Downpour jacket. I have never had any issues with perspiration in my eVent jacket, and it doesn't have pit zips.

My Super Cell was absolutely waterproof. My only complaint was breathability during high-exertion activities.

That is just my experience, though. YMMV

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You'll be fine with the paclite, but I would agree 100% with BB. The E vent material is head and shoulders above Gore when it comes to breathing.

I've had the worst luck with Gortex bivy sacks compared to my E vent and the rain gear is made from the same material as well.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Well since the OR shows up tomorrow i guess only time will tell if i like it, that REI stuff is just more then i want to spend at $240.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
Well since the OR shows up tomorrow i guess only time will tell if i like it, that REI stuff is just more then i want to spend at $240.

Yeah, $240 ain't cheap, even if it is compared to other eVent jackets. I honestly hope you like the OR. I liked a lot of things about the Super Cell. I just ended up having to quit moving when the rain was coming down. I didn't like that.

tangsrud

FNG
With the mild conditions in CO it's tough to spend a lot of money on gear that you use little...however, letting bad gear ruin your hunt is difficult to stomach!
Keep us posted on your thoughts as you use the gear you choose.

Last edited:
OP
D

dotman

WKR
Yeah, $240 ain't cheap, even if it is compared to other eVent jackets. I honestly hope you like the OR. I liked a lot of things about the Super Cell. I just ended up having to quit moving when the rain was coming down. I didn't like that.

It better be better then what i usually use, garbage bag :)