Chassis Hunting Rigs

I have builds at 2 extremes under way at the moment. Building a light weight 300WM for my son and a heavyweight 338 for myself.

Just picked up the metal work on the 338 from the gunsmith yesterday. Its a 338 Excalibur (a version of the 338-416 Rigby). Unscoped, but with the mag and bipod as it sits in the photo, it weighs 18 pounds:

IMG-7111.jpg

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I’m running a 6.5CM, 19.4” med Palma bartlien barrel chambered by SJA, NF NX8 4-32, old style KRG X-ray. I milled out the front and drilled a hole under the grip and in stock to drop weight. 13lbs in this set up shooting 147ELDs at 2,585fps.

Attachments

• BA7BBC7B-E845-46EC-8DD0-3CF4FB8229C9.jpeg
    BA7BBC7B-E845-46EC-8DD0-3CF4FB8229C9.jpeg
    202.8 KB · Views: 50
I havent tried adding my sunshade to my scope yet but i think you are right, i might need to go to a higher ring to clear it. Ive also got my scope mounted as far back as i can for shooting slightly reclined. i dont often shoot with a sunshade but it is something to consider. The rail I have on there is a 0 MOA EGW, and the rings are vortex pro medium rings. 44mm objective.
You can always cut a bit off the end of the sunshade. If you take your time and do it properly it should looks perfectly fine.

Did you happen to weigh that chassis when you got it?
I got the folding stock version, so its a touch heavier at 27.9oz. I don't doubt the fixed stock would be 26. Add the built in ARCA fore end and a couple spacers to lengthen the LOP and you will gain a bit too.

Also, the white powder on my scale is flour, not cocaine.

Attachments

• IMG_5550.jpg
    IMG_5550.jpg
    423.8 KB · Views: 79
I have builds at 2 extremes under way at the moment. Building a light weight 300WM for my son and a heavyweight 338 for myself.

Just picked up the metal work on the 338 from the gunsmith yesterday. Its a 338 Excalibur (a version of the 338-416 Rigby). Unscoped, but with the mag and bipod as it sits in the photo, it weighs 18 pounds:
@rifletuner Hard to tell from the photo, is that a left bolt, right eject action?

No mate. Left / left. A left bolt, right eject is great off the bench, but for prone a left / left is actually easier in my experience.
Good to know. I always thought left bolt right eject would be cool, I REALLY like being able to easily see into my chamber for clearing jams, reloading etc.

Good to know. I always thought left bolt right eject would be cool, I REALLY like being able to easily see into my chamber for clearing jams, reloading etc.

The biggest advantage of the left bolt, right eject or visa versa is speed off the bench in a competition. You can use one hand to open the bolt, while the other hand feeds in the next round. This is easy when you are seated at the bench as both hands are free for these tasks.

Whereas when you are prone, you need one arm to support your torso, leaving the other hand free to operate the action and deal with ammo, etc. Unless you have a very strong core, its difficult to use both arms to operate the rifle from prone.

So having tried both extensively, I much prefer left / left for most shooting tasks.

Dave C.

Lil-Rokslider
^^ That is what I am considering for a custom build. Not sure if it's the folding stock version or not which is what I'm considering. Did you just get it?

PsRpOiGrRiAtM

Lil-Rokslider
I had a standalone thread for mine a while back--here it is:

I always like to play around with the “3-0-waitforit” and wanted a really unique, lightweight chassis setup. So, I got an HNT-26 chassis from Brownells and put my .308 barreled action in it.

Barreled action is a Rem 700 AAC-SD with a 24” PROOF Sendero Light 1:10 and Triggertech trigger. I can’t believe how LIGHT it is (no official weight, because I don’t have a fancy scale, but it’s really light.)
Edited to add: Weighing myself with the gun and without the gun on my bathroom scale, the whole setup is right at 8lbs even.

Scope is an Razor HD LHT 3-15x42 MOA

Group is 5rds of Australian Outback 168gr SMK and it was .517”

I’m a happy guy.
mdt 308.jpgmdt 308 group.jpg