Chassis Hunting Rigs

What kind of accuracy are y’all getting with yours? Looking at building a 300PRC with the Element 4.0.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
What kind of accuracy are y’all getting with yours? Looking at building a 300PRC with the Element 4.0.
That is kind of a weighted question due to the numerous different barreled actions that are put into our chassis. The chassis gives a solid foundation for a barreled action to sit in but a lot of the accuracy is dependent upon the barreled action and how well it shoots. A lot also depends on the ammo that you are running. If you have a finely tuned hand load vs some old factory ammo, there is a big difference in performance. We have rifle builders all over who use our chassis and they guarantee rifles to be sub 1/2 moa but we have seen better than that on numerous occasions!

That is kind of a weighted question due to the numerous different barreled actions that are put into our chassis. The chassis gives a solid foundation for a barreled action to sit in but a lot of the accuracy is dependent upon the barreled action and how well it shoots. A lot also depends on the ammo that you are running. If you have a finely tuned hand load vs some old factory ammo, there is a big difference in performance. We have rifle builders all over who use our chassis and they guarantee rifles to be sub 1/2 moa but we have seen better than that on numerous occasions!

Yeah, that’s a good point.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I’m at a 1/2” with carbon six barrel in magnesium element 3.0 with a savage.

I don’t think the chassis will be the limfac on what I’ve seen.

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Just to give you an idea of what kind of accuracy you CAN see if everything is done correctly, here are the first 5 shots out of my new 30 Nosler about 2 weeks ago. These were a random load I chose to do barrel break-in so I am sure it will tighten up a little bit with load development. If you subtract bullet diameter this one will sit around .352 MOA.

Attachments

• Jaden groups 3.jpg
    Jaden groups 3.jpg
    310.2 KB · Views: 43
Just to give you an idea of what kind of accuracy you CAN see if everything is done correctly, here are the first 5 shots out of my new 30 Nosler about 2 weeks ago. These were a random load I chose to do barrel break-in so I am sure it will tighten up a little bit with load development. If you subtract bullet diameter this one will sit around .352 MOA.
That’s awesome. What barrel manufacturer did you choose?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
That’s awesome. What barrel manufacturer did you choose?
This one is a benchmark but this is the first one of theirs I have used. I want to make sure I have first-hand experience with all of them so when customers ask I can give honest experience. I also have a proof and some Bartleins and they all shoot great! It all comes down again to the chamber job and ammo you feed it!

6 creed I set up for small game and my 10 year old son. Magnesium XLR chassis all accessories and carbon everything. action. Proof prefit. Titanium pro brake. Maven rs3.

Attachments

• 714E4E1F-4E3D-4206-B211-28B01B5CF6E1.jpeg
    714E4E1F-4E3D-4206-B211-28B01B5CF6E1.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 94
  • 7A086849-E15D-48B5-9022-D1AD7E3F0D34.jpeg
    7A086849-E15D-48B5-9022-D1AD7E3F0D34.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 88
This is my predator setup for the time being. Bone stock Remington 700 22-250 barreled action, 26" varmint barrel, strapped into a MDT XRS. Its a Vortex Viper HSLR Scope. This thing is a boat anchor at 14.5 lbs, but there ain't too many mountains to climb in Saskatchewan, and I get some good rucking exercise in throughout the winter hauling it around!

Got my MDT HNT26 in the mail yesterday so I will post some pics of that once I've got it swapped over!
wolf 1.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/p/CWfOX2vLE19/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Ruger American Ranch 6.5 Grendel (factory rail removed)
Factory trigger at 3.0 lbs
Talley 1" Low Lightweight Rings
MDT LSS XL Gen 2 AR Chassis
Strike Industries Buffer Tube (ergo castle nut I believe)
Magpul CTR Butt Stock
Magpul Moe-K Grip
Trijicon AccuPoint 3-9x40 Green Dot Duplex
Kenton Industries Speed Dial Turret
Shoots factory Hornady Black 123gr ELD-M at 2386 fps and 3/4 moa average to 500 yards for 3 shot groups in field conditions in my hands.

It's about 8 1/4 lbs (scoped rifle) but love the weight. You can see a lot in that scope at the shot with only 6.5 ft/lbs recoil energy, easy to shoot well.

Oh and it takes down. The castle nut is loctite'd so you can spin the butt stock off on to the same spot repeatable. When it's taken down OAL is 26 1/4". It's the ultimate lightweight takedown option. ;)

Built this one on the kitchen table, love the heck out of it. Has 5 or 6 big game animals already. Adjusts quickly to fit the kids or myself, we put that to the test this fall as one of mine took a doe across the valley at 355 and then I took over for a double at 420. Max versatility was my goal with this one...sheep to prairies, me or the kids, plinking/practice, coyotes/wolves...this one does it all for us.

I'm sold on chassis builds going forward, we shoot them better than expected, and the accuracy and versatility goes well beyond a traditional rifle, adjustable fit and take down ability names two key features, 10 round mags are nice too. You can build them light enough if you're selective and it doesn't need to be a high dollar magnesium carbon type build, I built a Howa 20" lightweight Grendel chassis that's bare rifle under 6 lbs but I'm over that, I like over 7 lbs now for shootability now, it's worth the weight to me now.

XLR Element 3.0-Tikka Superlite 6.5CM.

Originally was in a Mesa Altitude stock which is a nice stock. XLR has much better "shootablilty" than standard style stocks probably due to the ability to custom fit to the shooter. Recoil is much more manageable than with other stocks not that the creedmoor is punishing. Seems to push straight back with no flip at the muzzle and my rifle does not have a brake.

Got to do some accuracy and load testing for the XLR last week. The Tikka is a solid MOA gun in its previous configuration. In the XLR chassis shooting 140 ELDM factory loads, every 3 rd group I shot was .50-.60. It shot exactly like my friends Tac A1. I don't think I can shoot any better than that anyway.

Could be uncomfortable in cold temps, but nothing that some wool liner gloves couldn't tame. Mine is the standard model which is still light enough for anything I've done so far.

Anyone with a Tikka XLR carbon fiber for sale?

Dos XX

WKR
Swapped my 22-250 into the HNT26, shaved a couple pounds, and a much handier package with the folding stock.View attachment 384460View attachment 384461
That looks like a killer rig. The scope mount in the below link to MDT's page for that chassis looks like you need to consider scope length for that chassis. Your scope isn't long enough to engage the top of the forend. Theirs looks like they had to raise the scope up to clear it. The ring location is a little tight on theirs, too, but that is a function of the action, I think, or maybe an extended pic rail would have helped.

You have to scroll down on the link to where the guy is holding the rifle by the NF scope.

Last edited:
The scope mount in the below link to MDT's page for that chassis looks like you need to consider scope length for that chassis. Your scope isn't long enough to engage the top of the forend. Theirs looks like they had to raise the scope up to clear it.
I havent tried adding my sunshade to my scope yet but i think you are right, i might need to go to a higher ring to clear it. Ive also got my scope mounted as far back as i can for shooting slightly reclined. i dont often shoot with a sunshade but it is something to consider. The rail I have on there is a 0 MOA EGW, and the rings are vortex pro medium rings. 44mm objective.