Chasing deer

Badseed

WKR
How long do you wait to chase a bumped buck and how far will you track him before turning around?

While hunting with my son the other morning we bumped two bucks. My assumption was that they saw us because they wasn’t any wind that I could detect. They were just far enough away and tucked into some shrubby brushes that there was no chance for a quick off hand shot. As soon as we saw the bucks we had stopped moving with the hopes that they would bound off a little ways and stop moving once they realized they weren’t being pressured. We watched the bucks for at least 150 yards before they disappeared into the brush. We had a good vantage spot to see the area where they ran into so we laid down and glassed the area for about 10-15 minutes to see if they would pop up in one of the open pockets. I felt confident that if they hadn’t popped up by then, they had probably continued to run out of sight. After waiting, we walked down to where we saw them originally and started to follow their tracks. We followed them into some thick timber on a very steep canyon slope and ended up turning back because it was getting late in the morning and the wind was starting to swirl. On the walk back I started to wonder if I should have done anything different to increase the likelihood of a having a shot at the bucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk