Chances of seeing elk?

I'm taking my dad to Colorado opening week for his first ever elk hunt and when I talked to him today he said his goal was just to see an elk. I went by myself last year for the first time and shot a calf but we decided not to go there again because there were a ton of hunters/roads. We're going to the Maroon Bells Wilderness area and will be carrying camp on our back and hunting for seven days. We're in good shape and will be hiking until we get into some fresh sign but I just want to get an idea of our chances of actually seeing elk. Would our best bet be to get up high and glass or mark dark timber areas on the gps and check them out until we find elk? Do you regular elk hunters hunt this way often without seeing any elk for a week at a time?

I've never hunted that unit, but with it being that early and most likely it will be hot I would look above treeline. Find a high point and bring some good glass.

FlyGuy

WKR
And if that doesn't work, start checking the dark spots...

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

HookUp

WKR
Your ability to be glassing at dawn and dusk, manage your hunt time and ability to read elk sign and move to the elk will all likely play into your odds. Hunting success varies widely some guys get it done every year, others cant get it done in a decade.

oldgoat

WKR
I bet you see some and probably close enough for a shot if you can call at all, whether you get one was covered in the last post! Have fun!

Muskeez

FNG
The only thing that I can add is that I did the Maroon Bells "loop" hike, over 20+ miles and 4 passes, with my son last August. I looked for sign a LOT and saw a total of one set of elk tracks. We saw several Mule deer and Mt. goats, but zero elk. I glassed a lot too. The only thing I would suggest is stay away from the actual loop and I bet you will find some. That was one busy trail, I couldn't believe the number of people in the mountains. It took 4 days so there are campsites all along the route. You could always use those and the trail as a way in and out I guess. Best wishes, it's a beautiful area!! (and the trout from Snowmass lake were delicious on a stick over a fire!)

OP
Mooseknuckle22
Our plan is to avoid the big scenic peaks and maybe venture into a different unit if need be since the neighboring units are also otc

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Our plan is to avoid the big scenic peaks and maybe venture into a different unit if need be since the neighboring units are also otc

From what I can tell its all pretty scenic, just some parts are more accessible/popular than others. I'm also planning a first rifle hunt for that area and have been studying the topo's pretty hard. It's some really steep area so make sure you have realistic expectations of areas to hit in a set amount of time.

KHNC

WKR
Besides glassing , i would do my best to search out water sources...wallows,springs..etc with fresh sign. Usually not hard to find these on dark timber benches or near small parks. I would sit these during the hottest periods of the day. They will be at these places at some point, no doubt about it.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I would expect to see more hikers and tourists in the Maroon Bells than elk. Yes, there are a bunch of elk in there, but there are even more tourists that do that hike. I think the MB's is the most viewed/hiked spot in Colorado.

Also, I believe bear proof food canister's are required in there as well.

ew2642

FNG
I'm usually up that way in September. We decided to go up for 3rd season OTC this year. Last year we saw elk from the truck in MB as soon as we pulled up. Not enough daylight left so we spent the next 1 1/2 days in the area and never saw a single elk. LOTS of folks in there.

OP
Mooseknuckle22
Thanks for the input guys. I was thinking that there would be opportunity to get away from the majority of people in this area because of the ruggedness and lack of roads. Am i crazy to think that? It's starting to sound like the place is super crowded. Feel free to pm me with any more advice

4IDARCHER

WKR
I have stomped that loop. Good luck with the hunt but as others have said there are a TON of people who you will be sharing the area with. I would say if your goal is to only see an elk you have a 50-60% chance of being successful. But if that is the case save weight and only bring the optics. If you are serious about shooting a bull (or any elk) that area would be low down on the list of places to go. If you do decide to stick to that area I would echo the others in saying go high early and low to get eyes on and look for wallows or water.

I just left there on a scouting trip for next year. Found some fresh sign but didn't see any elk in the unit. Saw a decent herd just outside of the unit on private land. Where are you planning on parking to enter the unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mooseknuckle22
I just left there on a scouting trip for next year. Found some fresh sign but didn't see any elk in the unit. Saw a decent herd just outside of the unit on private land. Where are you planning on parking to enter the unit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got some spots picked out that i want to hunt throughout the unit but haven't figure out where to park or how to access the spots yet

MesaHorseCo.

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Last I heard they were requiring bear canisters in there. Don't know if they still are, but might wanna check. F that.