Chances of seeing elk?

MTNRCHR

Lil-Rokslider
Big country that holds some big critters... lace up them boots!

Muskeez

FNG
Do you have a bear keg? I bought one for our hike to that area. I would be willing to loan it to you if you want or need it. Just pay the shipping to and from or drive thru NW iowa on your way. It does ad weight to your pack and is a clumbsy thing to have to pack every day but I guess that's the rules out there. It was big enough for 2 of us for 4 days. PM me if you want to use it.

OP
Mooseknuckle22
Do you have a bear keg? I bought one for our hike to that area. I would be willing to loan it to you if you want or need it. Just pay the shipping to and from or drive thru NW iowa on your way. It does ad weight to your pack and is a clumbsy thing to have to pack every day but I guess that's the rules out there. It was big enough for 2 of us for 4 days. PM me if you want to use it.
Thanks for the generous offer. We decided to buy canisters since we're probably going to be hunting there again in the future and we found them on sale. The added weight and the space they take up really sucks but if we get on some elk it'll be worth it. I read that the fine for not having one is 5k too so we definitely didnt want to roll the dice and hunt without them

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Muskeez

FNG
I believe the only reason the Maroon Bells area requires it is because of the insane number of over night hikers. Some aren't too experienced on food storage and they have issues with bears because there are humans and food around all summer long. Just safer in the long run. Tej, I can't imagine you will need one in any other units unless it's a tourist trap area.

Last edited:
Moose, check out this bear resistant bag. Its IGBC rated so it should comply with the maroon bells restrictions. It's way lighter and will pack much more easily. I plan on getting one for this season.

Access Denied