Chainsaw Pack

STBar

FNG
I know it's a long shot, but do any of you guys have experience with a chainsaw backpack?

I have some property where getting the chainsaw to the site is going to involve several hours of walking, hiking, crossing rivers/streams, etc. I think some kind of pack would make the most sense.

I found some info on a "true north" pack...
but options seem to be kind of limited.

I've done it before where I just got my saw strapped up to a kuiu frame pack with some paracord to keep it tight. I stuffed my fuel can, files, and wedges inside my pack. Just make sure you have a good bar scabbard and be careful if you have felling dogs on your saw because they tore my bag up pretty good. There my be a saw specific pack but I can't imagine it being comfortable.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I kind of did the same thing sunshine did. I was out at my land in MO in April and needed to haul a saw and other gear. I ratchet strapped the saw to the horizontal base of my meat hauling frame. Worked great.

RWT

Lil-Rokslider
Keep it in the hard plastic case. Add all you can inside the case. Fuel, wedges, and as many shop towels as possible to absorb any leaking oil/fuel. Put case in doubled up contractor bags. Set that inside you pack and strap the snot out of it. You don’t want you pack wreaking of fuel and I have yet to have a saw that didn’t leak oil.

The square echo or husqvarna cases are easier to pack than the Stihls.

Bring 2 additional contractor bags for the pack out. Fuel eats them quickly.

nodakian

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
When I was on a USFS trail crew I built a plywood bar sheath and strapped it and a bag for all the extras to an old GI pack board. I also cut some padded shoulder straps from an old pack and taped them to the ones on the backboard. No hip belt, but who needs one when you're 20 and invincible?

I covered a lot of miles with 30-35 pounds on it, and with the backboard being made of plywood it wasn't prone to damage. I could even extract the saw from the sheath without removing the pack from my back.

Attachments

• 1000000565.jpg
    1000000565.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 24

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
Several hours? What size property and terrain? Maybe a bulldozer to build a trail 1st.

FWIW - on our CO mountain property I’m using a weaver logging belt kit to hold the a couple of fuel cans, wedges, etc, then have an old day pack for other crap and just lugging the saw along.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
This got me curious because lugging the saw does suck.

Have you looked at the Dakine Builder pack? I think they have / had a larger version

*zap*

WKR
No experience with this but use good gear and plenty of testing before you go for real.....good luck.

Have done it along with some trail building tools for a project. Unless you are gonna do it a lot, I would doubt you need a purpose built rig. Anything with a decent load shelf or pack board can work. I used a nice frame and crew cab. Rigged the saw blade down at an angle on the pack board.

If I were doing it again, I would remove the bar and chain for the pack in and out. Would have put the saw and gas can in a contractor bag or two (mind the fumes) to avoid oil and gas sloshing on my pack. That frame is my trainer so no big deal, but it still has a faint oil/gas scent years later.

I have some property where getting the chainsaw to the site is going to involve several hours of walking, hiking, crossing rivers/streams, etc. I think some kind of pack would make the most sense.

I'd tie a saw to the bars of a dirtbike and save yourself a lot of work

I use an old GI Alice pack frame with a couple of radio/cargo shelves installed..take the bar off and strap it all down. No bag to worry about fuel/oil.

DESERT ED

FNG
I used an Osprey Switch with the burrito like wrap system for years but it's pretty heavy. Look online for a DaKine Trailbuilder pack.

cjdewese

WKR
Just been putting the saw in two trash bags and strapping it to my K3.

So far I haven't had any issues with getting oil or gas all over my pack, but I am pretty careful with how I set my pack down or take it on and off when I do it.

mmac

WKR
On fire crews would wrap the bar in the kevlar chaps with tools and throw it on the shoulder for long walks..... Save the pack for fuel, oil and extra chains.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
When trail crews get to use saws (wilderness act waivers) and don't have stock, they'll partially diassemble the saw and load it in a backpack. Take the bar off, take the chain off, put a pool noodle over the dogs, and put the powerhead in a contractor bag so it doesn't leak bar oil/gas in the pack. Fill MSR fuel bottles (or similar) with gas and bar oil instead of packing a dolmar.