CH10 compact fluid head

So I pulled mine out to try and loosen it up some more. Now pan and tilt are both essentially frozen. Can’t get it to work. No option to return to Amazon unfortunately. I wish I would have sprung for a quality ultralight head. Never had an issue with my va5.

OP

4th_point

WKR
Based on this thread I picked one up last week. I have to say I'm impressed with it at home. Much smoother than my Benro S-2 and obviously lighter and more compact. I hadn't heard about a freezing issue, but do have some concerns about the warnings regarding "sand and dirt". Figured it was worth giving a shot before investing in the other options in this weight category -- Outdoorsman and Wisener. Going to try leaving out overnight, but we're only getting down in the 20s, so that may not prove much.
Cold soak overnight is a good idea. Please let us know what you find.

CCH

WKR
I didn't prove much. It stayed out over 12 hours at or below freezing and it worked fine. Don't have anything lower than the mid 20s coming up. Maybe someone in cooler climes can experiment on our behalf. I really want to love it and feel smart about spending so little money while propping up China's economy, but with late season hunts in Craig there are concerns.

OP

4th_point

WKR
Thanks for letting us know.

How cold does your freezer get?

I need to get mine in the chest freezer.

CCH

WKR
Thanks for letting us know.

How cold does your freezer get?

I need to get mine in the chest freezer.
Damn it Jim, I'm just a social studies teacher!

Good question. I'll take it off my tripod and throw it in. Freezer is at a measured 0 degrees. If this ruins it, I'm starting a Go Fund Me to upgrade. 😄

Last edited:

CCH

WKR
So after almost 15 hours at a measured 0 degrees, it still works. It's not quite as smooth as when I put it in, but still pretty good.

Update: After leaving it at room temperature, it's back to being as smooth as when it showed up. It was totally useable after freezing, but there is an improvement once it thawed.

Someone else needs to a sand and dust test. ;)

Last edited:

Jason t

FNG
So after almost 15 hours at a measured 0 degrees, it still works. It's not quite as smooth as when I put it in, but still pretty good.

Update: After leaving it at room temperature, it's back to being as smooth as when it showed up. It was totally useable after freezing, but there is an improvement once it thawed.

Someone else needs to a sand and dust test. ;)
Southern Nevada is nothing but dust. Mine will get a tested.

sr80

WKR
im in BC and in nov when mule deer hunting i did notice it was more stiff when just starting to use it when cold. But after a few movements it seemed to free up quite a bit. Im still happy with it, and for the cost.

Reactions: CCH