CH10 compact fluid head

4th_point

WKR
Shoutout to sr80 for mentioning the SmallRig CH10. I have been trying it out with a 60mm spotter and comparing it to the SIRUI VA-5. I really like the CH10 so far. Thanks sr80!

Tahoe1305

WKR
Can you do me a solid and remove the stock handle and weigh it???? (Weight with and without handle).

Geewhiz

WKR
I like the looks of that. Is it sturdy enough for an 85mm spotter ya think? Says 6.6 lbs which is more than most 80-85mm spotters but im curious how it would feel.

OP

4th_point

WKR
Sorry guys, but I don't have a scale appropriate to measure the weight with and without handle. And I don't have an 80mm spotter at the moment. Maybe someone else will chime in with comments on those questions.

I've been using the CH10 with a 60mm EDIII, which has a rear heavy bias due to the location of the tripod mounting foot. I had to position the scope as far forward as possible. I'm using the ARCA plate from the VA-5, which is longer than the one from SmallRig.

sr80

WKR
i ordered a second one to have an extra, but ive been super impressed with it so far. I like it wayyyyy better than the big clunky va-5

Anyone who has used the Benro S2 used this one? I went from the S2 to the VA-5 because I didn't like the S2....it would droop after locking it in. VA-5 has been great. What about this one?

sr80

WKR
i pulled that rubber knob off and cut the handle..

rTvrePH.jpg

C6ML6R2.jpg

Tahoe1305

WKR
Thx. Was seeing if there was a weight saving with CF handle added. It would be less than 1oz and probably not worth it.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I just made a bunch of va5 handles and sold on here. Can use appropriate ID cf and meld them together and it would look clean.

My “issue” is it’s pretty light as it is (unlike va5). So the effort would only save .5-1oz.

OP

4th_point

WKR
Anyone who has used the Benro S2 used this one? I went from the S2 to the VA-5 because I didn't like the S2....it would droop after locking it in. VA-5 has been great. What about this one?
I have no experience with the S2. And limited time with the VA-5.

The CH10 will droop (tilt objective up) with my EDIII-A but I was able to slide the scope forward with the SIRUI TY-70A plate and tighten the tilt lock a freckle so there's no droop. That scope is known for being biased towards the rear in terms of balance.

Once set, I can tilt and pan just fine. In fact, the first time that I switched back to using the VA-5 I felt like it wasn't as good as the CH10. But, I need more time with each.

Tahoe1305

WKR
It’s worth trying. Fwiw I just snagged one on Amazon and it had 5% off.

I’ll let you all know if I can shave another oz with CF somewhere for those who care.

This would be almost half the weight of VA5. Mine weighed 14.5oz last night with CF handle mod for comparison.

OP

4th_point

WKR
Is it actually a fluid head, or is it friction/spring based for resistance?
SmallRig claims that it is a fluid head. And it feels like a fluid head to me, but I can't say for sure. The pan function was a bit stiff on mine at first. I just kept spinning it around and now it's great.

The company seems to have a following in the photography and birding communities. I was expecting some fly by night outfit that only sells on Amazon when I saw sr80 post recommending it, but they seem more well established.

So far, I am very happy for only $50.

atmat

WKR
For the cost this seems like a great product. I have the Wiser precision. While lighter, it’s also considerably more expensive. Had I known of this one, I probably would’ve tried it first!

OP

4th_point

WKR
For the cost this seems like a great product. I have the Wiser precision. While lighter, it’s also considerably more expensive. Had I known of this one, I probably would’ve tried it first!
The Wiser seemed really smooth to me when I tried it at a hunting show. Does yours have the "memory" or "bounce back" that some people have reported?