Cell trail cam recommendations

RussDXT

WKR
So I know absolutely nothing about cell trail cams. My parents have a 60 acre farm in central NC that I would like to put a few cell trail cams due to seeing a buck I know survived the season that hangs out in areas I don’t want to disturb. Also, I live in Colorado so checking cams on a regular basis is difficult.

I see that midway has a few on sale but was wondering if you all have any recommendations. Fwiw my Verizon phone works fine on the property.

Thanks in advance for any guidance in something I know nothing about.

Paulcobb

Lil-Rokslider
check out bigfoot cell cams! They’ve worked great for me and reasonably priced cams and data plans

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
Spartans are my favorite, cuddelink system is good if you dont care about the best of pictures, tectacam is good, but again not the best picture. Get a battery box/solar panel setup with any cell cam.

Bluefish

WKR
I bought a SPYPOINT on sale after last years season. Been happy with it. With lithium batteries, life is 4-6 months. Regular batteries, a little over a month. After using a cell camera, I can’t imagine using one that’s not.

I picked up a couple Reveal Tactacams this year and had no issues with them. Good trigger speed, pictures were clear for both daytime and nighttime photos. The app was really easy to use and had no issues at all. Battery life was ok, even without using lithium batteries. I plan on picking up a couple more next year. I believe it's $13 for initial camera with unlimited pics and then $12 for each additional camera.

pirogue

WKR
Another vote for Reveal. I also live in a separate state than the property I hunt, and have a couple Reveal with the Reveal solar panels.

OP
RussDXT

RussDXT

WKR
I do very much appreciate the responses. As with anything else with hunting this is another rabbit hole for sure.

A lot of great recommendations, any brands to absolutely steer clear of?

So I know absolutely nothing about cell trail cams. My parents have a 60 acre farm in central NC that I would like to put a few cell trail cams due to seeing a buck I know survived the season that hangs out in areas I don’t want to disturb. Also, I live in Colorado so checking cams on a regular basis is difficult.

I see that midway has a few on sale but was wondering if you all have any recommendations. Fwiw my Verizon phone works fine on the property.

Thanks in advance for any guidance in something I know nothing about.
We have had good luck with Reveal Tacticams.

I would stick with reveal an stay away from spypoint from my experience. Make sure u use ultimate lithium batteries or solar panel and you’ll be set. If you set them to only deliver pics once per day instead of live feed that will help battery life as well.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
I just picked up the Exodus Rival. Whatever their new game is. I’m excited to get it out in the field.

I had a Steathcam Fusion that got stolen last fall. I had a couple hiccups at first but once I got it going I didn’t have any issues with it for 14 months until it got stolen.

Yoder

WKR
I've tried Moultrie, Spycam and Tactacam. All three the battery life has been good and the apps are very easy to use. I have three Moultrie cams. One died in about a month. The seal leaked and it filled up with water. The other two I've been running since August. Pictures and reception are really good. Cameras are cheap. If I buy any more I will buy Moultrie. I have one Tactacam. The camera cost about 50% more than the Moultrie. This camera has the best picture quality of the three. I don't think it's worth 50% more. My dad gave me two Spycam cameras. One never worked out of the box. I need to call customer service and see if they can do something. It seems like it's working but never sends the photos. The second one works great. Picture quality is not amazing but good enough. This model uses a micro sd which is annoying but the camera is tiny and easy to hide. Reception is good and you can actually run the camera for free. I think you get 100 pics a month if I remember right.

WVHick

FNG
I just picked up the Exodus Rival. Whatever their new game is. I’m excited to get it out in the field.

I had a Steathcam Fusion that got stolen last fall. I had a couple hiccups at first but once I got it going I didn’t have any issues with it for 14 months until it got stolen.
The Exodus stuff is fantastic.

This is a nice thread, I appreciate it, too.
Are there any significant differences between the Reveal 2.0 and the XB?

Watrdawg

Lil-Rokslider
I have 3 of the Tactacam Reveals. One of the 3 is the Pro model. They all have worked fine for me. Battery life with the Lithiums is really good. Regular batteries you might get a month or two at most depending upon how many pics are taken.

I’ve tried spypoints, muddy, covert, stealth, Tactacams and Moultrie’s. Out of all I’ve mentioned, I give the nod to tactacam and coverts. I have several covert blackhawks and quite a few tactacam xb’s. Between those two, I think the blackhawk is a better built camera. My reveal’s definitely miss things. I’ve walked up in front of them several times and never had a pic.

nosajnh

FNG
I am currently using Tacticam Reveal X gen 2.0 which come with both ATT and Verizon sim cards which is nice unless the area where you are placing them is strong with one carrier. I am generally happy with them however I wish the trigger speed was a little quicker.