Cell Phone Boosters for Elk Hunting

Just thinking out loud here regarding the SHTF statements. Who says the InReach will work at all if there truly is a SHTF moment?

Just thinking out loud here regarding the SHTF statements. Who says the InReach will work at all if there truly is a SHTF moment?
If it doesn’t work probably nothing will. No personal locator beacon or anything else relying on satellites. Nothing is 100% foolproof but it’s your best option in my opinion. I have never had a problem with my Inreach Mini. It does help to delete old messages. Weather forecasts are pretty accurate too.

FWIW, I find the zoleo much better than the garmin. Sat link up times are seconds versus minutes, and when there is heavy cloud cover the zoleo still gets comms when the garmin won't. I've had both for years.

As far as a booster, it's been covered enough above and I totally agree.

FWIW, I find the zoleo much better than the garmin. Sat link up times are seconds versus minutes, and when there is heavy cloud cover the zoleo still gets comms when the garmin won't. I've had both for years.

As far as a booster, it's been covered enough above and I totally agree.
I was looking at getting an inreach this year, but good to hear on the zoleo. I will have to look more into that one as well.

inreach for texting, works most anywhere. if have truck/RV for a basecamp, use a weboost in it, but weboost needs a poor signal to boost, doesn't work w/zero signal to start with.

Last edited:
I work in IT in the comms industry, and own an outfitting business in Montana, cell boosters are *mostly* a scam. They usually don't have better antennas than what you get in your phone, and even if they do they are often unpowered, which means they are actually worse than what you have in your phone. There are other options out there that I would love to recommend, but don't want to do any advertising publicly on the forums. I will say this, however; there is a particular carrier that has started putting their transceivers (antennas) on Starlink satellites. Messaging is already possible with this carrier if you have the right version of Android (15, although it's really still in beta). There is also already one company that I know of that's compatible with this and makes a device that is powered (albeit very low power), runs off of USB-C which means you can use a battery pack to run it, and can even have external antennas (powered) attached if you are in one place for a while and want to have enough signal for streaming, etc. Feel free to message me if you want more info about this as I don't think that violates the rules of the forums. I live off-grid, and several hours from any town and I use this here, in fact it's what I am "posting" this message through now.

Go get a Garmin inreach, 1. If an emergency happens you’re covered 2. They have very good weather data both basic for free or higher class for a few 3. You can message regardless 4. You can message or send SOS anywhere, if you broke ur leg in the bottom of a basin can you hike to a spot for service in an SOS situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Can they only send messages to people with the inreach as well

Back