Cell Phone Boosters for Elk Hunting

Many areas I elk hunt have very little to no cell service. Often if I get high enough, I can get one bar. Enough to send a text but not enough to check weather or use internet ver well.
Has anyone used a cell signal booster while hiking in the back country? If so, what brand/model have you used, and did it work well?

jimh406

WKR
I have a Wilson and it works well. However, you can't boost what isn't there.

Also, you should look into what channels your phone has and maybe update to a newer model that has more channels.

Finally, some phones are dual sim or have replaceable sims. You might check to see if a different carrier has been coverage where you hunt and switch to a month to month for that carrier.

Go get a Garmin inreach, 1. If an emergency happens you’re covered 2. They have very good weather data both basic for free or higher class for a few 3. You can message regardless 4. You can message or send SOS anywhere, if you broke ur leg in the bottom of a basin can you hike to a spot for service in an SOS situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SonnyDay

WKR
I have the stationary WeBoost. It works pretty well, but it is not something you'd want to backpack with. I know they make a mobile one intended for vehicles. I have not heard of one that is light enough to carry around in a pack.

I second the Garmin approach. I mostly use it to make sure all is well at home in the 'burbs while I am out in the relative safety of the wilderness...

TheJimmer

FNG
Just remember that a cellphone booster needs at least a minimal signal to work. As we all know when you get back far enough there isn't any signal at all. As others have said a Inreach would be a better choice.

Z Barebow

WKR
As has already been mentioned. You cannot amplify zero signal. (I am in communications industry)

Better off spending your $$$ on an InReach or Zoleo if you want reliable personal communications in the mtns.

bz_711

WKR
Booster no help in some of the areas I hunt...I went with a Zoleo a couple years back and have been extremely happy with it. Kind of dumb that I hunted years without some form of SOS emergency help...both for me or others I could possibly help.

I'm guessing we're not far out from most top of the line phones having satellite capabilities as well.

I have a weboost and it has worked great sometimes and just ok other times. No fault of the booster just the signal, it needs some signal to boost. We had a basecamp in NE Oregon on a wilderness boundry with about 1 bar of crappy service. Knowing we were going to be there 2+ weeks I strapped the weboost antena up about 20'. We got 4 bars of 4g service and could basically do business from camp if needed. In another spot we basecamp it does almost nothing to improve the spotty service.

I have since hard mounted an antenna on my motor home and have a magnetic antenna that I can put on my truck. It will usually improve service, sometimes a lot. It has increased the amount of time I can hunt as I can usually find enough service somewhere to check in on business and the family and stay out longer.

Tman24

Lil-Rokslider
Cell towers work on line of sight. The signal can’t go through mountains. You need satellite communication in the mountains. My group uses inreach.

The Garmin InReach has worked well enough for me. Definitely like being out of touch for a bit.

However....my business partner's are retiring this year, so I bought a Sat Phone. Right now when I'm incommunicado I've got people back home that can make business level decisions if needed without me.

I'll be in plenty of situations in the next few years, that I'll be a day or more away from legit cell service. This will be a nice bridge. Only a few key players will have the number from the office, and obviously my wife and parents.

Key Players at work already learned that a certain level of shit has to hit the fan before they call me when I'm on a Caribbean Island with the wife, or on a Mountain Chasing Elk. Not worried about them. LOL

Many areas I elk hunt have very little to no cell service. Often if I get high enough, I can get one bar. Enough to send a text but not enough to check weather or use internet ver well.
Has anyone used a cell signal booster while hiking in the back country? If so, what brand/model have you used, and did it work well?
Why not just get a Garmin mini inReach and keep it simple, lightweight, and portable. Ability to text your family, friends, and other contacts. Plu if the s..t hits the fan you'll have SOS capabilities.

Hunting_Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
I don't think they have anything portable for cell boosting. At work we have weboost in the trucks and we are very happy with them. I carry an inreach when I'm in an area with bad service.