Casper/Natrona County

I believe what Skunkape was saying is most places mentioned are very conservative and they want it to stay that way, which it isn't with an influx of people moving in. Just a guess.
I was trying to articulate that the “want” is no longer material as people with money move in and exacerbate the gentrifying circumstances and those circumstances have breached the borders of Teton County.

The economies and resources aren’t equipped to accommodate a continuance of the level of inbound migration we’ve recently experienced and therefore any new residents are very likely to encounter considerable hurdles to “planting roots”.

Here’s a microcosm we’re all familiar with: WGFD has started cutting nonresident tag ratios and increased prices for everyone. We all know why- it’s demand. Apply the same logic to moving here and you run into the same problem. Plenty of people want to move here but can’t because of the “first adopters” (using some economic verbiage) that have consumed supply. It’s a scarcity issue- not to mention the quality sacrifices you’ll incur to settle in those less desirable places.

The dichotomy of Riverton and Lander is a great example. Riverton is trying to grow, but everyone wants to live in Lander and can’t because it’s so much more costly and therefore Riverton’s growth and development is effectively capped.

Cost of living has really gone up lately, housing mainly.
University is building new dorms and an infux of workers has really hyped up the housing shortage, along with the Plenty folks moving over from Cali for that business.

Saturdays on home games are either great fun or avoid town, depending on your point of view on crowds and the game day type of atmosphere.

Some new jobs are popping up, which this town needed.
Weather is not as bad as folks make it out to be, yes it snows and the winds blows but guess what folks go about their business. Spent many a cold, snowy evening throwing back a few cold brews downtown with the other locals.
Still the kind of town you may see folks you know almost everywhere you go.

College kids can be a pain but Summers are great when they are gone.

We also have some good locally made beer, I think last count maybe 5 micro breweries in town (?) maybe more.
Laramie summers are almost unrivaled.

This is the softest shit I’ve ever read. You can’t talk about how tough you are then say you’re scared of working outside in the wind. Limp
This is a wild response, that reeks of internet tough guy mentality. If you and I were casually talking face to face, swapping stories about our careers, and the pros and cons of living in different parts of Wyoming, would this be your response to me in person?

go_deep

WKR
This is a wild response, that reeks of internet tough guy mentality. If you and I were casually talking face to face, swapping stories about our careers, and the pros and cons of living in different parts of Wyoming, would this be your response to me in person?

His response may be a little bit childish, I'll give you that.

That said, I live in SE Wyoming, work outside all day, everyday, day or night, rain, snow, or sunshine. Sometimes I'm even way up in the air with zero chance to get out of the wind, doesn't bother me a bit.
It's pure and simple, what bothers one person, doesn't bother the next.

His response may be a little bit childish, I'll give you that.

That said, I live in SE Wyoming, work outside all day, everyday, day or night, rain, snow, or sunshine. Sometimes I'm even way up in the air with zero chance to get out of the wind, doesn't bother me a bit.
It's pure and simple, what bothers one person, doesn't bother the next.
That's a reasonable response, and a good thought. I think being under horses in the wind is the primary concern for me. Stuff can go south in a hurry. What do you do for work?

wytx

WKR
Farriers scared of our wind, never heard that one before. Most ranchers I know shoe their own horses or have a neighbor do it, wind or no wind. That is what barns are for.

The mosquitoes have been crazy this year and it is drier than last, go figure.
Thankfully rain has come and hoping for more this week !!!!

Htm84

WKR
If we were sitting around talking and I was telling you how tough the people in my line of work are (they aren’t very tough at all) and then told you I won’t go work places when it’s windy what would your response be?

Text usually comes across kinda rough but my response in person would basically be the same but with some laughter sprinkled in. Working in the wind stinks but I would never not go to work somewhere because it’s windy.

Anyway have fun at work today.

If we were sitting around talking and I was telling you how tough the people in my line of work are (they aren’t very tough at all) and then told you I won’t go work places when it’s windy what would your response be?

Text usually comes across kinda rough but my response in person would basically be the same but with some laughter sprinkled in. Working in the wind stinks but I would never not go to work somewhere because it’s windy.

Anyway have fun at work today.
Fair enough. I'd also guess you've never been nailing a shoe on under the hind end of a horse, and the wind blows over a trash can, or rips a metal roof partially off, or a plastic bag blows by, and the horse loses its mind. It's a good way to get killed or seriously injured, and I've had enough close calls to know better now. I need to wake up and go to work tomorrow. There's a difference between tough and foolish.

My friend had a horse freak out when something blew by on a windy day, and it ripped a horseshoe nail through a tendon in his hand. We all got to shoe his horses for him for the next 6 weeks after surgery. He stays home on windy days now.

Back to the original post, my point is that depending on what you do for a living, the wind can be a real consideration in where you live. Or maybe vice versa. If I lived in southern or central Wyoming I'd probably find a different career. Probably in whatever field you're in. It sounds like I'd fit in well.

Oh dude…..

We went to Rob Roy one summer and they were horrendous up there. Idk if they went away or if we stopped noticing after too many beers and shooting cans with a Red Ryder from the campfire lol
I was fishing one of the prairie lakes one day. There was a pretty stiff breeze so I had to hike all the way around to get the wind at my back so I could fly cast.

Walking back, all of a sudden the wind completely lays down. Not a breath. Hordes of mosquitoes came out of the grass and waylaid me. Ever seen a dude run while wearing waders and carrying a fly rod, and trying to swat mosquitoes?

WKR
I was fishing one of the prairie lakes one day. There was a pretty stiff breeze so I had to hike all the way around to get the wind at my back so I could fly cast.

Walking back, all of a sudden the wind completely lays down. Not a breath. Hordes of mosquitoes came out of the grass and waylaid me. Ever seen a dude run while wearing waders and carrying a fly rod, and trying to swat mosquitoes?

We train em’ that way. Trying anything to cut down on the greenies.

Macintosh

WKR
Just came here to say that this thread is very entertaining. Spent just enough time across wyoming in all seasons to see both the grains of truth, and the “oh yeah—well, that’s nothing, WE have it tough…”. Its a cool place, I love visiting, but what I see is a state seriously wrestling with a period of extremely rapid change, both in recent decades and looking ahead at the immediate future. A 20% increase in population over 20 years, and (as far as I can tell) no sign of that slowing appreciably, and very few mechanisms in place to manage how that will happen compared to most other states, and I feel confident saying that things around any of the cities and larger towns arent going to look the same in just a few years. It’s already very different from when I first spent time there in the early 1990’s. The numbers and pace are less than, for instance, Idaho—but starting from such a low, dispersed population smaller changes are more noticeable.

IMG_4731.jpeg

Last edited:

wytx

WKR
Thst graph is a l;ittle misleading. We had a huge increase in wind farm workers and oil/gas workers back in the 90 and now more wind farms.
Our population is not growing exponentially but is expanding.
The wind farm guys head home after they finish their jobs, thank you old man winter.
Many of the newer jobs associated with these projects are few for the long term/ permanent jobs.
Some towns are experiencing rapid growth but not like other parts of the country.

And yes, these threads can be entertaining.

JFK

WKR
If you charted damn near any state since 1880 it would look like that. Wyoming is many things, but crowded isn’t one of them.