Carrying a sidearm while bowhunting?

Do you carry a sidearm while bowhunting?

• yes

Votes: 94 61.4%
  • no

Votes: 22 14.4%
  • depends

Votes: 37 24.2%

• Total voters

ZRob97

Lil-Rokslider
I hear a lot of different opinions on this, when in bear and lion country I understand people wanting the extra protection when allowed. Ive also heard of hunters and hikers carrying for protection around more populated areas like the appalachian trail also due to bad situations that have happened.

Depends where I'm hunting. Out west where black bear and/or mountain lion sightings are common, I carry a lightweight snub-nosed 41 Mag revolver with me. In the Midwest where a coyote or bobcat is likely the largest predator around, I typically hunt without a sidearm. I'm planning my first Alaska caribou bowhunt this fall and trying to decide what form of grizzly protection to carry: spray, compact 41 Mag, or not-so-compact 460 S&W. I'm leaning toward the 460 if I can find a way to carry it semi-comfortably in a chest holster.

Id rather not take my chance being downwind if a bear gets close enough for me to have to use spray in my personal opinion, those shorter barreled 460's are pretty sweet. Maybe not on the wrists lol but great for a chest rig
I agree with you about bear spray. If I carry some, it will be in addition to, not instead of, a gun.

My 460 has a 5" barrel, which is still heavy but manageable. I've carried it a decent amount in a cheap Uncle Mike's hip holster, which was surprisingly not too uncomfortable, but I think a chest rig would be even better. The 3.5" model would be a bit more packable, but I'm not sure I want the extra recoil.

jakelogsdon

Lil-Rokslider
If you conceal carry for self defense, I would assume you carry at all times. otherwise you're kind of defeating the purpose. If you don't conceal carry but you carry for protection while hunting I think depends on where you're at.

OXN939

WKR
I agree with you about bear spray. If I carry some, it will be in addition to, not instead of, a gun.

+1. I always have an escalation of force SOP for bears- make yourself known as a person first, then spray if the situation allows, then sidearm.

But yeah, no reason not to carry. While hunting, you're in areas that are far from help most of the time, so why not be able to defend yourself?

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely prefer not to carry but will do when in grizzly country or right on the US/Mexico border.

Fatcamp

WKR
We hunt remote areas near low socioeconomic communities.

Carry seems to make sense.

brsnow

WKR
I carry a knife, I always carry it. I am accurate and it doesn’t run out of ammo. I think if a bear or lion attacks with intent to kill, there will be some hand to hand involved. I work on that skill set.

Beendare

WKR
In my 37 years of bowhunting I would only pack a pistol in G bear country. 3 decades with no issues.

Recently there have been some cases that have me changing my mind;
Hogs charging unprovoked, Mtn lions sneaking up on 2 different buddies, Bears coming to the elk call and multiple armed trespassers.

Now I mostly carry.

______

I carry a knife, I always carry it. I am accurate and it doesn’t run out of ammo. I think if a bear or lion attacks with intent to kill, there will be some hand to hand involved. I work on that skill set.

I agree but hope it's a good one. Not a replaceable blade.

Still wont come out looking too great if it comes to it. But if I had to go wild West on a bear I don't know that I would hit much. Can't do much with a pistola but make noise.