Carolina Beach

Jmort1754

WKR
Offshore fishing in July, is it worth it?

Have a near shore / in shore trip booked but that captain doesn't do offshore.

LostArra

WKR
For family peace and fish for the grill I've done a couple of inshore mornings rather than off shore unless the purpose of the vacation is solely fishing. In that case I would suggest Alaska rather than a Carolina beach although I enjoy both.

Offshore in coastal Carolina’s is big time in July. Yellowfin was my favorite when I lived out there but dolphin is a hoot also. You’re closer to the Gulf Stream than you would be north of Hatteras. You can catch a trip leaving at 4 am or even earlier, be back early afternoon. Check it out online.

Wellsdw

WKR
Nc resident here. Skip inshore and a go offshore. Inshore now basically leaves you with a meal for 2 because flounder is catch and release. Drum/redfish is I think 1 and you can catch a few trout. Which are good but not like offshore. If you can slip out a day and make it to morehead city even better, if hatteras is off the table. The Gulf Stream of Carolina is a haul but still worth it. Stay sober on the boat, usually if you go with a mixed party you will be the only one fishing by lunch time……🤢

Wellsdw

WKR
Nc resident here. Skip inshore and a go offshore. Inshore now basically leaves you with a meal for 2 because flounder is catch and release. Drum/redfish is I think 1 and you can catch a few trout. Which are good but not like offshore. If you can slip out a day and make it to morehead city even better, if hatteras is off the table. The Gulf Stream of Carolina is a haul but still worth it. Stay sober on the boat, usually if you go with a mixed party you will be the only one fishing by lunch time……🤢
Come to think of it there is a fishing charter I’ve talked to on here about elk hunting Wyoming. I’ll see if I can dig up his name.

highcj5

WKR
I’m a Virginia resident but I go to the Nc coast several times a year. I love inshore fishing and have never done offshore fishing in Nc. As mentioned above, hatteras would be the best place to go out of. Much closer to the Gulf Stream then Carolina beach. Leaving from Carolina would be much more boating time to get there.
A lot of charters do near shore from Carolina. Which would consist of Spanish mackerel and king fish. Which is fun and could fill a cooler up. If you did a full day charter. You could do near shore and in shore. That way you’d get 2 different experiences.
As I mentioned, I love inshore. Enjoy catching redfish and flounder. Flounder season as of now in Nc is closed for 2024. That really stinks. Good luck and post pics of your catch

NICKJ

WKR
Offshore for sure. Depending on how far you run will determine what fish. Shorter range is kings/mahi, Gulfstream is a mixed bag of tuna/mahi, with lots of other possibilities. Plus bottom fishing (red snapper might be opening depending on the dates)

Offshore...NC regs makes a inshore trip not worth it...unless you like blues and Spanish, hell i think there is a limit on blues now..no flounder and 1 redfish ain't worth dragging the boat to the ramp. Quit fishing NC inshore a few years ago.

Watch the fishing report from Oregan Inlet...it give a good idea of the offshore bite...

Last edited: