Caring for Optics in Extremely Hot Weather

JW@TRACT

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
We focus on cold weather concerns with our gear, which is understandable since most of us do our hunting in the fall and winter (in the northern hemisphere). However, summer humidity can cause POI shifts and rust. Do you do anything differently when shooting and storing your gear in the summer?

However, summer humidity can cause POI shifts and rust.

Funny, I live in a very hot/humid environment. My 100 yard zeros hold (i.e. no POI shift) on my rifles throughout the year (even when traveling out West). Sounds like you are building in an excuse for a scope not holding zero...

Do you do anything differently when shooting and storing your gear in the summer?

Rifles stored in gun safe with humidity control to minimize chance of rust. Most everything else has a place in the house.

I live where average summer temps exceed 105 degrees for weeks on end. I try to shoot early am get them put back in the ac by early morning. Have traveled in August to hunt very hot, never had issues. I can say I have wondered how the internals are holding up on a very hot scope (epoxy etc.). I had a cow elk tag a few years back and the temps were high 80's to high 90's, no issues but the matte finish made that scope fairly hot to the touch when it sat in the sun while glassing.

Funny, I live in a very hot/humid environment. My 100 yard zeros hold (i.e. no POI shift) on my rifles throughout the year (even when traveling out West). Sounds like you are building in an excuse for a scope not holding zero...

Rifles stored in gun safe with humidity control to minimize chance of rust. Most everything else has a place in the house.
I should have added "for long range shooting" somewhere in there. Humidity and temperature can affect your point of impact for different reasons. For your second response, I agree wholeheartedly, I also do my best to reduce the time my guns spend in cases and bags between the range and the safe.

Why not do a write up with the technical aspects of what all heat and humidity can do to a weapon system (kind of what the title suggested this would be) instead of asking a question to engage people in conversation? It would go a lot further to help folks out since 99% of the people here probably have no clue that temperature and humidity changes effects the torque on action screws as the stock materials expand and contract with certain materials more so than others.

Back