Caribou/Moose Float trip ideas

I've been looking into doing an Alaska trip in the next couple years. The main goal would be to go for Caribou with the possibility of adding moose if anyone in our group would want to. Would be looking at going with 4 of us and thinking of doing a float trip. I have searched around on the forums here a bit and there is a ton on information regarding fly-in hunts but not many float trips.

I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions for people to go with that do raft rentals and can drop a group off at a lake or river inland. I have heard alot of great things about Larry Bartlett with http://www.pristineventures.com/ but when going to his website he is booked up until 2026 and only taking repeat clients after that.

Is there another person that does hunt planning for these trips like him or any resources on this topic would be awesome! In the mean time I'll continue to search the forums here. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

not a hunt planner, but i have rented a raft off of him

AKBorn

WKR
Go the the Alaska Outdoors Directory and do research on the Float Hunting subforum. Should be a lot of good information there.

There's a guy named Walt that rents rafts to hunters and does some of the logistics for their trips, I think his outfit used to be called Northwest Alaska Adventures or something like that. If you go to the AOD Float Hunting subforum, you will see him posting on several of those threads I would think.

One thought - if you are planning on 4 guys going, that's a lot of guys and gear. Trying to float out with up to 4 caribou, and possibly a moose, would be a task that required four strong, fit hunters. If AK got a lot of snow/rain in the year you go, the rivers could be high and more dangerous than in a typical year. If AK did NOT get a lot of snow/rain in the year you go, you guys might be dragging your rafts/gear/game for long stretches at a time. Just a cautionary thought, worth what you paid for it.

My first bit of advice would be avoid considering a packraft unless you are a river rat already. A good multi-chamber raft with an oar frame makes this job much easier than a tiny pack raft.

I put together a trip with 6 guys for caribou a few years ago. I was one of the 6, not a guide or outfitter or anything, I just did the research for our trip. We brought 3 rafts, and each raft was outfitted to be self sustaining. That way if something bad happened, or if there was a disagreement on when to stay put and when to move down the river, each raft could make that decision independently. We had at least one experienced rafter in each boat.

A float trip is a ton of work. A lot more work than a drop camp and it just gets more laborious with hunting and killing game the longer the trip goes on. I personally love float hunting but everyone on the trip needs to be well aware that it is and requires a TON of work and not just some relaxing getaway.

You plan it just like you would any other hunt. Figure out an area you want to hunt, decide on what river, and go. It seems a lot more daunting than what it really is, most people just don't want to put in the effort and time to do it themselves.

Maybe call Papa Bear Adventures in Bethel. They facilitated a helluva float trip for me and some buddies this year (flew us in and provided rafts/gear), and I know they do moose drop camps too. They could probably talk you through some options.

OP
Bowhunter413
Thanks all for the responses, will continue to dive into all the research. I guess with just how vast Alaska is it just seems like a very daunting task with small margins for error.

Last edited:
Get Larry’s book on float dragging and read carefully, from my research a nonresident really needs some boots on the ground intell to not end up in a situation like others have described.

Float Hunting Alaska’s Wild Rivers by Michael Strahan is a great book that details many rivers specifically, and includes sections on logistics, meat care, etc.

If I were planning a float hunt without already having a good handle on Alaska’s geography, this book would be my go-to resource.

Go the the Alaska Outdoors Directory and do research on the Float Hunting subforum. Should be a lot of good information there.

There's a guy named Walt that rents rafts to hunters and does some of the logistics for their trips, I think his outfit used to be called Northwest Alaska Adventures or something like that. If you go to the AOD Float Hunting subforum, you will see him posting on several of those threads I would think.

One thought - if you are planning on 4 guys going, that's a lot of guys and gear. Trying to float out with up to 4 caribou, and possibly a moose, would be a task that required four strong, fit hunters. If AK got a lot of snow/rain in the year you go, the rivers could be high and more dangerous than in a typical year. If AK did NOT get a lot of snow/rain in the year you go, you guys might be dragging your rafts/gear/game for long stretches at a time. Just a cautionary thought, worth what you paid for it.

We rented a camp from Walt this year for our DIY Haul Rd hunt (Northwest Alaska Back Country Outfitters). He normally outfits groups to hunt out of Kotz. With things shifting so much up there I'm not sure what his business model will be in the coming hunting seasons. Worth a phone call/email I suppose.

As someone who has a thoroughly used copy of Strahan's book, I'd also endorse it as a resource. Lot's of good ideas for potential trips in the book.

did you watch the gritty youtubes they made it look easy.
I did watch those films and yes they made it look easy. I have had some hunts like that (not float gunts), that just came together. Most don't!
To the OP, search YouTube for Gritty and check out their series for moose and Caribou in AK. They don't give up their location but lots of good how to info and they break it down even more in some podcasts.

And they took some terrible shots also. Sure they got them but some of the shots they took were terrible I thought. Especially when shooting the caribou and passing off the gun before the first one drops. And the first shot on the moose was a terrible angle. The second shot killed it the first one was just a bs shot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

And they took some terrible shots also. Sure they got them but some of the shots they took were terrible I thought. Especially when shooting the caribou and passing off the gun before the first one drops. And the first shot on the moose was a terrible angle. The second shot killed it the first one was just a bs shot.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
I guess they got a lot of flack about the shots from others too. They went over the shots in a podcast. I didn't think the passing of the gun was a big deal, that Caribou was smoked. The first time I saw the first shot on the moose, I thought it was questionable. They explained it in a way I could see being okay but I wasn't there so hard to judge. In the end none of those animals went very far.

drra

FNG
Good information in here - look forward to a trip in the fall of 2026 (hopefully the first year in retirement).